996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Window Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 06:42 AM
Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !
Window Issue

I'm having a little problem with my passenger window and wanted to see if anyone has dealt with the same issue. It's probably the switch at the door handle, but the symptoms are different than others have reported.

My passenger window still goes down when I pull on the handle, but it doesn't go down far enough. This creates a problem because when I adjust the window low enough to clear the window trim, when closing the door, its not high enough to seal properly.

When I pull up on the handle on the drivers door, the window goes down 0.550", but when I pull the handle on the passenger side, the window only goes down 0.130".

Anyone else seen the same issue?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Old 01-08-2015, 06:50 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Turbo windows have not exhibited any issues, but when my Boxster driver's side window failed to drop the required amount the problem proved to be the window regulator. The tech told me after he exposed this and went to remove it the thing was so worn out it fell apart.

You can try to reset the window limits. Using the lower button lower the side window. Release the button. Then press and hold the raise button and keep it pressed even after the window has reached the end of its travel. Keep it pressed for 5 more seconds. Release the button. Done. Repeat for the other side.

If this doesn't help -- and I don't think it will -- then the window regulator has to be suspect.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:14 AM
Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !
+1 on regulator. Buy an OEM regulator! I bought aftermarket only to have it last about a week.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:18 AM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Macster
-- then the window regulator has to be suspect.
...although one cannot rule out the door latch mechanism itself. when my ( 2nd one ) went recently, it would go down the required 1/2 in, but then immediately go back up. obviously, it's either the regulator or the door latch, but i would also suspect the latch, as the window regulator always gave me some warning e.g. crunching or uneven up/down movement and an adjustment might remedy it.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:33 AM
Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !
The window regulator was replaced by the previous owner, so I don't believe this is the issue. Plus the window goes up and down with no issue or noise.

I have already reset the limits several times.

The only real issue is the fact that the window doesn't drop enough when I open and close the door.

Thanks,
Steve

Old 01-08-2015, 07:38 AM
p556guy has much to be proud ofp556guy has much to be proud ofp556guy has much to be proud ofp556guy has much to be proud ofp556guy has much to be proud ofp556guy has much to be proud ofp556guy has much to be proud ofp556guy has much to be proud ofp556guy has much to be proud of
There are a few switches that work together to drop the window.

There is one in each door handle (inside, and outside), and one in the door latch. When you pull the handle the window drops a bit, then when the latch pulls from the door it does an additional drop.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:34 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Steve Jarvis
The window regulator was replaced by the previous owner, so I don't believe this is the issue. Plus the window goes up and down with no issue or noise.

I have already reset the limits several times.

The only real issue is the fact that the window doesn't drop enough when I open and close the door.

Thanks,
Steve
Even though the regulator was replaced by the previous owner, I still say it is the regulator.

While the Boxster window went up and down with the button ok when I opened the door using either handle it would barely drop. The window more twitched than actually moved.

As I covered in my previous post, the window regulator was the problem.

Another time the window would sometimes not drop when I opened the door, or worse drop but go up on its own after the door was opened for a moment or two. This proved to be the door lock assembly.

If you are going to do the work yourself, you will have to open up the door. This exposes the regulator and perhaps then you can make the correct diagnosis before you order parts.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by p556guy
There are a few switches that work together to drop the window.

There is one in each door handle (inside, and outside), and one in the door latch. When you pull the handle the window drops a bit, then when the latch pulls from the door it does an additional drop.
Do you have any documentation that shows this? It appears to me that the door handle switch tells the window to go down and the door latch tells the window to go up.

I have seen nothing that shows that window goes down in two stages.

Later, Steve

Old 01-09-2015, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by Macster
Even though the regulator was replaced by the previous owner, I still say it is the regulator.

While the Boxster window went up and down with the button ok when I opened the door using either handle it would barely drop. The window more twitched than actually moved.

As I covered in my previous post, the window regulator was the problem.

Another time the window would sometimes not drop when I opened the door, or worse drop but go up on its own after the door was opened for a moment or two. This proved to be the door lock assembly.

If you are going to do the work yourself, you will have to open up the door. This exposes the regulator and perhaps then you can make the correct diagnosis before you order parts.
It appears I need to inspect the regulator and make sure it's installed/adjusted properly.

Thanks, Steve

Old 01-09-2015, 11:32 AM
Highlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond repute
+1 on the regulator.
As it wears, it develops a little "slop". This slop is enough that small movements like pulling the door handle just take up the slop, not move the window. Big movements, like operating the up/down quickly take up the slop and work perfectly fine.
It's the same regulator I had in my Boxster and I went through 4 OEM ones (2 each side) in 100k miles. It was due a 5th (passenger side window wasn't dropping far enough) when I traded the car.

Good Luck, and please post an update when you get it sorted out.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:06 PM
JayRacing has a spectacular aura aboutJayRacing has a spectacular aura about
It's also likely that the window motor has worn gears creating the slop. So the electric motor turns the prescribed amount, but the play in the gearing moves the window less than it should. You can check this when you remove the regulator and see if there is excessive free play when you turn the motor back-and-forth manually.