996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Do you wave? Do you wave back?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 04:33 PM
khiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond repute
Do you wave? Do you wave back?

Did a quick search and I didn't find a similar thread . . .

I remember when I was a kid, my dad had an old 912, I thought it was ridiculous cool. I also remembered that Porsche drivers would consistently wave to each other (including my dad). At first I thought the practice was quite odd, but learned to appreciate the gesture.

Fast forward 30 years, do you wave to other Porsche drivers?
Do you just wave to the Turbo's?
Just 996s?
Just 911s?
Do you wave back?

There are quite a few Porsches where I am, so I don't want to drive around being a pin wheel, but I do tend to acknowledge 996s with limited, but always positive reactions. Just doing a self-aware, weird-o check, KH

Old 04-29-2015, 04:40 PM
Ronny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud of
We have the same discussion in norway, as all porsche club members are encouraged to wave to each other. So i wave when im in my porsche and often they wave back.
People that do not wave are typical panamera and cayenne drivers or the likes that have a porsche because of the status and not as an enthusiast car.

Old 04-29-2015, 04:47 PM
pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !
I've had several cars in the past that have tight nit enthusiast groups that would always wave. What I've noticed with Porsches in my area at least (San Diego), is a distinct disdain for it. Not just no wave, but almost the turning up of noses, or resolute ignoring even if I were to not so subtly say hi.

Sure, I've gotten a handful of warm acknowledgements, but they are few and far between.

Old 04-29-2015, 05:00 PM
onenrg1 is a splendid one to beholdonenrg1 is a splendid one to beholdonenrg1 is a splendid one to beholdonenrg1 is a splendid one to beholdonenrg1 is a splendid one to beholdonenrg1 is a splendid one to beholdonenrg1 is a splendid one to behold
Funny because I mentioned the same thing to my friend. I have had some older racer type gentlemen wave and of course I wave back but the other day I waved at a turbo conv and the guy just ignored me. Go figure. There are true enthusiasts and the others.

Old 04-29-2015, 05:01 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
people only wave up here to warn of hiding leo's. same way us bikers tap helmets.

waving is ghey lol

Old 04-29-2015, 05:06 PM
Aktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of light
Depends on the area, middle of nowhere its any pcar, nicer areas maybe any 911, but always wave to other 996T owners.

Old 04-29-2015, 05:07 PM
khiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by '02996ttx50
waving is ghey lol
HaHa, got it . . . you are the not-wave back kind of guy-- KH

Old 04-29-2015, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by Ronny-
People that do not wave are typical panamera and cayenne drivers or the likes that have a porsche because of the status and not as an enthusiast car.
My take would be that unless the Panamera or Cayenne driver has been in a car club before, the behavior is just foreign. And as I said, if I were to wave at every Porsche, my hands would barely be on the wheel. KH

Old 04-29-2015, 05:19 PM
pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !
There seems to be a stature type of thing going on too.

Most Porsches pretend to be kings of the hill. Until they're in the vicinity of another Porsche.

Then it's up to the big dog Porsche to acknowledge the lesser model first, lest the lower end owner be left hanging cause it's not worth the big dogs effort to give the time of day.

Speaking mostly of 911's and Cayman/Boxster. The tricky thing to understand is where the 996 sits relative to a say a 993. =P

Old 04-29-2015, 05:21 PM
YJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond repute
I find that all 996 and older 911 porsches give more waves, thumbs ups, or try to eye contact and smile than anyone; 997 owners are a bit more funny some do some dont unless a TT who always acknowledge.
991TT never make an attempt.
Also boxster and cayman guys always give a wave or thumbs up..

Last edited by YJosephTT; 04-29-2015 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:28 PM
cab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by YJosephTT
I find that all 996 and older 911 porsches give more waves, thumbs ups, or try to eye contact and smile than anyone; 997 owners are a bit more funny some do some dont unless a TT who always acknowledge.
991TT never make an attempt.
Also boxster and cayman guys always give a wave or thumbs up..
There was a similar thread on Pelican years ago. And yes, the older air-cooled guys are the ones who would wave. These are the hard core, all greased up, tight wad drivers who have worked on their cars with passion.

Most newer cars 997 and up drivers have not really "mechanically/greasing" bonded with their cars and, for now, are somewhat like gifts or trophies.

Lastly, it also depends on the area. Wave tends to be popular where there aren't many Porsches. It's much like seeing an American while you are visiting the Amazon jungle.

If I were to wave to Porsches in Century City, Calabasas, Beverly Hills, etc. heck I'll be waving dangerously to often.

Cheers!

As for me, I wave when I see one carving the Mulholland Canyon when I am around.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:49 PM
DaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond repute
Try to flash the brights...

Old 04-29-2015, 09:10 PM
Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !Wealth Manager Is a GOD !
I find more of the 991 guys are not "porsche" guys and don't appreciate the cars and its more of a symbol then anything else.

The only 997 guys I know are into huge power and just love cars in general.

The older air cooled guys just have porsche in their bloods it seems and love to talk about them.

When I am on the road I get more of the compliments and photos being taken more so then anything else. I'll get waves and thumbs up from all types of car enthusiasts and I ALWAYS wave and engage back if they have questions. But I am definitely a 9/3 type of driver and very attentive to whats happening on the road in front/onside of me instead of looking around.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:14 PM
cab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4S
Try to flash the brights...
I thought the flash was more for "danger, danger Wil Robinson...LEO nearby!"

Old 04-30-2015, 12:56 AM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by khiroshima
HaHa, got it . . . you are the not-wave back kind of guy-- KH
probably not, but i cant think of one occasion when i didn't warn a fellow enthusiast that might be pushing a bit too hard, when they might regret it just up the road. smokey even hides in plain wrappers up here.

i probably just try to look manly while flashiing my lamps it's the neighborly thing to do, but it's more practical than collegial lol

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Do you wave? Do you wave back?