996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Pinning the coolant lines

Old 08-26-2015, 03:14 PM
viprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond repute
Pinning the coolant lines

I was at Indy this past weekend for a HPDE & one of the coolant lines let loose. According to the gauge, the temperature never got above 200 degrees so I'm hopeful there wasn't any damage. My intent was to get the coolant lines pinned/welded later this season but will happen sooner now. Since the motor has to come out of the car, any thoughts/ideas what should or must be done in addition as far as updates. I was contemplating going with larger injectors, fuel filter, hoses, etc.
Since I'm sure that a lot of 996 owners have now addressed this issue with the coolant lines, I am curious what you have done.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:09 PM
Twinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud of
Having mine welded ( 2 let go previously at different times which I simply re glued with engine in car), new water pump, coolant tank, coils, plugs, serpentine belt and idler pulley, motor mounts and having a trans (tip) leak fixed at the same time. Not really updates, just maintenance for the cost of parts only as there is almost no additional labor involved.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:10 PM
Twinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud of
Forgot, all new rubber coolant hoses also.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:10 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
There's at least three threads here about this, lots and lots of helpful hints in them. Blowing those fittings is my worst nightmare and I hope it doesn't happen before I'm ready!

Old 04-17-2018, 12:51 PM
Rick13 is an unknown quantity at this point
partial engine drop, pulled all of the housings and fittings to JB Weld and pin.
Tedious, but doable without removing the engine.
Rick

Old 04-27-2018, 03:10 PM
Folz is an unknown quantity at this point
Rick13, I also heard same thing. There are shops knurling the fittings and then using jb weld and having great success without pinning.

Old 05-05-2018, 09:19 AM
uk996tt is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Folz
Rick13, I also heard same thing. There are shops knurling the fittings and then using jb weld and having great success without pinning.
What's involved in doing this ?

Old 05-05-2018, 09:47 AM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
How did you get at the two on the oil filter bracket? The one on the passenger side is impossible without some of the manifold stuff.

Old 05-05-2018, 04:30 PM
Folz is an unknown quantity at this point
[QUOTE=uk996tt;4713477]What's involved in doing this ?[/QUOTE

check out YouTube video that I attached

Old 05-05-2018, 06:12 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
People are just forgetting them then. I tore my car to pieces fixing the ones on the brackets.

Old 05-08-2018, 04:21 AM
uk996tt is an unknown quantity at this point
Folz - thanks, exacty what I was looking for.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:33 AM
BMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by uk996tt
What's involved in doing this ?
I only did this to the affected fitting because it was accessible; it is working fine so far no issues. I have everything for pinning, just haven't pulled the trigger on engine drop.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post4648264