996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

My Report on 45,000 ownership miles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 10:24 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
My Report on 45,000 ownership miles

This is my basic comments on putting and owning it for around 45,000 miles..Driven year around when I could.
You can see my mods on my signature..
All I can say,,,
The car has not let me down and I enjoy the power level I am at with the 18g and the complete support mods,, with around 35,000 miles on the the start of the 18gs build and all the dyno testing along the way with addition of the supporting mods which was finished after the final tune by Todd at Protomotive, many years back.
I have hundreds of Dyno passes on it for testing the parts over the years,,a few days at the Drag Strip, and more then I can count races on the street from mostly low speed rolls,, and not counting numerous high speed runs to 175 mph with my best still at 191 mph according to my dash but I do have 1'' larger diameter tires, so I might have been going faster.. And road trips to EPL, Protomotive, Florida from Chicago.
Tonight with the Temps at high 50s and hitting my usual 1.4 spikes/peaks with a redline of 7,400 rpms,, this car still impresses me for an everyday street car running 93 octane. It has made 600 rear wheel HP on several DynoJets.. Made more on Protomotives rear hub dynos but that's not so much of a standard out there to talk about.
On my 3 after market clutch now, No major issues, burns 1 qt. oil about every 1,000 miles in everyday conditions of my driving,, not in Highway type though.. Gets 24 mpg at around 80mph but I have 72 injectors and additional fuel pump.
I really think I will keep this car forever ,, which I never thought I would or ever do that with this when I first bought it and I have been thru many cars frequently before that..
I don't need more,, I am not a road racer at the track. I use it daily when I can.
I have been torn over the years to put bigger turbos on But I still was going to use 93 pump gas with any new set-up,, But never did because I think my car is dialed in perfect AND I am happy still when I play.
I retired a year ago after 34 years on Chicago Fire Dept plus being a single parent Mr.Mom raising an awesome daughter since 1 which is now 17 ,, New priorities now... Plus I still have my Hot Rod Harleys and Bought a Ducati Diavel for a new toy when I retired that I just built up the motor some.
My long time friends always say I am never satisfied,, but this car is my only exception to that.
OK Guys,, Sorry to bore..
Bottom Line these cars still do and always will rock in my world..

Old 09-24-2015, 09:58 AM
split71 has a reputation beyond reputesplit71 has a reputation beyond reputesplit71 has a reputation beyond reputesplit71 has a reputation beyond reputesplit71 has a reputation beyond reputesplit71 has a reputation beyond reputesplit71 has a reputation beyond reputesplit71 has a reputation beyond reputesplit71 has a reputation beyond reputesplit71 has a reputation beyond reputesplit71 has a reputation beyond repute
Great post, thanks for sharing. Its nice to see some threads recently not focused around just the 'market' of these cars and actually owning and enjoying them. I purchased mine and the first thing I did was drive it back to CA from MI. Pikes Peak is a hell of a road to drive to the top too, a must do in a P-car.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:14 AM
gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !
Very cool! This was one of the cars I always wanted and although I have not had nearly as much seat time as you (yet ) mine is a keeper too. It has surpassed what I thought it would be, puts a smile on my face every time I jump in, and mine is still stock!! Thanks for the update

Old 09-24-2015, 04:11 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
just goes to show with proper planning a great tuner these motors are monster strong and the car will look like a million $$ year after year. congrats on the retirement and enjoy the car!

Old 09-24-2015, 04:55 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
I enjoy reading this post...Thanks John!!!

Old 09-25-2015, 05:18 AM
VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !

Old 09-25-2015, 07:57 AM
levinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to behold
Yes a very nice read!
Have you needed anything done to the transmission?

Old 09-25-2015, 09:12 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by levinsje
Yes a very nice read!
Have you needed anything done to the transmission?
Hi, Nope.
But as,I said I am not track road racer so I am not brutal on downshifts like those type .

Old 09-25-2015, 05:13 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
great post john! i agree that the 996 turbo is an incredible way to help a guy get thru the occasional malaise that can at times accompany "retirement". i get adrenalized on a daily basis.

i too have put well over 60+k miles on a cpl of these and cannot imagine life without one. though i am struggling with the idea of getting another 993, while it is still within the realm of possibility. i have actually seen a few low miles 993t's asking well over 160k$! a clean c2 alone is easily 75k!

Old 09-25-2015, 06:54 PM
bobby996tt has much to be proud ofbobby996tt has much to be proud ofbobby996tt has much to be proud ofbobby996tt has much to be proud ofbobby996tt has much to be proud ofbobby996tt has much to be proud ofbobby996tt has much to be proud ofbobby996tt has much to be proud ofbobby996tt has much to be proud of
Thanks John, great read. I've always wanted a turbo and will eventually have one of my own (when I finally get the ok from my wife), she says it isn't a priority... But these are the kinds of stories that gets my blood flowing and makes me want it even more.
Maybe you guys can help, my wife says with a 4 year old and an 8 year old it's not practical... It would be for weekend rides. I need fuel to help work her over. lol

Old 09-26-2015, 03:58 PM
alwaysnboost has a reputation beyond reputealwaysnboost has a reputation beyond reputealwaysnboost has a reputation beyond reputealwaysnboost has a reputation beyond reputealwaysnboost has a reputation beyond reputealwaysnboost has a reputation beyond reputealwaysnboost has a reputation beyond reputealwaysnboost has a reputation beyond reputealwaysnboost has a reputation beyond reputealwaysnboost has a reputation beyond reputealwaysnboost has a reputation beyond repute
Great read! I have owned and built many performance cars and this car responds great to mods. The looks, power, price and tuner support (Sam and Markski) makes me extremely happy and proud to own a 996TT.

Old 09-26-2015, 10:47 PM
gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !
I have an 8 year old daughter and 1.5 year old son. The back seats are small but they are much better than non-existant ones A few months ago my wife, my daughter and I went to the Miami Open tennis. It was literally a perfect day, weather perfect, car detailed and running perfect, wifey riding shotgun, my 8 year old in the back seat. On our way out there I was so happy that we could do this, it was a great feeling. We had an amazing day. For the weekends its totally doable for kids in the back seats

Originally Posted by bobby996tt
Thanks John, great read. I've always wanted a turbo and will eventually have one of my own (when I finally get the ok from my wife), she says it isn't a priority... But these are the kinds of stories that gets my blood flowing and makes me want it even more.
Maybe you guys can help, my wife says with a 4 year old and an 8 year old it's not practical... It would be for weekend rides. I need fuel to help work her over. lol