996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Evap system delete?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 08:02 PM
flewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond repute
Evap system delete?

Well trying to pull my stock fuel lines tonight I pulled on the wrong to and kinked and messed up what I now know are the evap lines. One is simple a vent, the other goes to a solenoid and vacuum source on the throttle body plenum. So can I delete the lines and get rid of the evap system somehow. Emissions do not matter for me in my state. I just don't think replacing the lines would be worth it and also a pita.

Line are 4 and 5.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:03 AM
03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute
The only downside is possibly* more gas vapor smell.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:54 AM
flewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 03EvoIII
The only downside is possibly* more gas vapor smell.
I think I'm going to run the vent hose all the back to the intercooler exit. Shouldn't have any smell in the cab then

Old 04-05-2016, 04:28 PM
G-Rat is a splendid one to beholdG-Rat is a splendid one to beholdG-Rat is a splendid one to beholdG-Rat is a splendid one to beholdG-Rat is a splendid one to beholdG-Rat is a splendid one to beholdG-Rat is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by flewis763
I think I'm going to run the vent hose all the back to the intercooler exit. Shouldn't have any smell in the cab then
Watch out for exhaust flames back there.

Old 04-05-2016, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by G-Rat
Watch out for exhaust flames back there.
Shouldnt be an issue if exiting in the intercooler shroud

Old 04-05-2016, 07:07 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by flewis763
Well trying to pull my stock fuel lines tonight I pulled on the wrong to and kinked and messed up what I now know are the evap lines. One is simple a vent, the other goes to a solenoid and vacuum source on the throttle body plenum. So can I delete the lines and get rid of the evap system somehow. Emissions do not matter for me in my state. I just don't think replacing the lines would be worth it and also a pita.
Not sure I agree with your cavalier attitude towards emissions.

My advice would be to replace the lines to keep the vapor recovery system functioning properly.

This also keeps the pressure in the tank at an optimum level and helps to prevent wasting gasoline through evaporation. The fuel gets quite warm from the pump running full blast to keep those siphon jets feeding fuel from their respective basins to the pump so the hot gasoline is going to generate a lot of vapor.

Even after the engine is shut off there will be very likely a goodly amount of gasoline vapor around the car. On a still day or night I hope someone doesn't decide that litter doesn't matter and toss a light match close to your car.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by Macster
Not sure I agree with your cavalier attitude towards emissions.

My advice would be to replace the lines to keep the vapor recovery system functioning properly.

This also keeps the pressure in the tank at an optimum level and helps to prevent wasting gasoline through evaporation. The fuel gets quite warm from the pump running full blast to keep those siphon jets feeding fuel from their respective basins to the pump so the hot gasoline is going to generate a lot of vapor.

Even after the engine is shut off there will be very likely a goodly amount of gasoline vapor around the car. On a still day or night I hope someone doesn't decide that litter doesn't matter and toss a light match close to your car.
Issue with this is it would require removing the tank to replace the lines and that's basically a whole days job. On top of that I'm sure the lines are not cheap and would probably have to come from germany.

I did remove the lines from the kink back, I have now removed the evap system yet though.

Evap removal is common among other performance cars, don't see what the large issue would be here. I would install a vent hose with a filter and roll over valve so if you were roll, fuel would not come out the vent tube.

All older cars were this way as well.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:29 PM