996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Tip to manual conversion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 04:00 PM
Mit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by nitrorocket
You could definitely put you back a new wiring bundle along the old harnesses, but there are actually a very large amount of wiring differences surprisingly enough. I was really surprised how different the harnesses work, like you stated, you would definitely think they would standardize the harnesses and just leave a couple dead wires from the factory. However, this is not the case and there is quite a bit of wiring that needs to be done, either way. The entire interior has to come out(The main dashboard could probably stay though if you were going to piggyback wires and just sneak them through where you can fit them), and the entire drive train of the car from front to back has to also be removed and changed, the motor has to be removed also. The list is endless, heck, you even need to remove the steering wheels and change the clock spring. And in case you didn't know, the wires going to the clock springs are both different also ended to be rewired. There are very extreme wearing differences.

I'm not saying it cannot be done, heck, I just did two cars, but it's not worth it. Realistically with parts and labor you're looking at a $10-$15,000 job depending on the car for a swap.

Manual cars are definitely not going for that much more than an auto.

Is the swap made easier if you're using a standalone EMS? Or would the process still be the same. Shame since there are a wealth of Tip cars floating around, but the 6MTs are slim pickings.

Old 11-24-2016, 09:37 AM
nitrorocket is on a distinguished road
The largest issue lies in all the wiring changes that need to be done. There is no simple way to do it, so much has to be removed, and so many wires have to be changed.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:00 PM
993my is an unknown quantity at this point
Interesting threat. I am looking at this project for my 997 tip to manual. Same restrictions here. It is not about the price difference, I live in a place where there are NO manual cars around and importing is simply prohibited. So no alternative other than driving a tip or going through the hassle.
Actually after studying the wire diagrams the changes to the electronics should be minimal. Most of the wires run from the Tip Control Unit to all the components (transmission, shifter, steering wheel and instrument cluster). The TCU only connects to the ECU (DME) through a few signals. If the ECU is reprogrammed or changed (watch out for the IPAS codes!) to manual it won't be looking for the TCU anymore and everything should work (clutch pedal signal is the only thing). You could leave all the wires for the Tip in the car and could even convert it back if needed. All mechanical changes are plug & play (of course engine has to come out, transmission and cooling system for the tranny needs to change, drive shafts, tranny mounts, shifter, pedal cluster, hydraulic lines etc). What am I missing on the electronics? I can imagine a change from a manual to a tip is insane as all the TCU and wiring is simply missing and needs to be put in the car. That is nuts and all interior has to come out. But tip to manual should be fairly straight forward. You will just be running an extra wiring harness for the TCU and Tip that is dead. Let me know what I am have missed on the wiring side for a tip to manual swap?

Old 12-05-2017, 10:55 AM
stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !
For the 996, wiring is apparently not that much an issue - as in the post below. I have no first-hand experience with this sort of conversion, but I am very well versed in auto electrics/electronics. I see no reason why one could not stick with the original wiring harness - for the 996 - as described in the post below. You'd simply have numerous wires/connectors left over and doing nothing. Manufacturers generally do not change the layout of the harness completely, so additional components such as the auto trans just receive a new harness with extra wires. Apparently Nitrorocket changed the harness to a manual transmission harness - which would obviously entail quite a bit of work.

I'd be very careful with this project on a 997, though. The ECU's in the 997 became much more advanced than in the 996. Certain ECU's may need to be "coded" to work with a manual transmission (better said, without an automatic). I'd try to verify that you can have all this done before starting.

Originally Posted by MariusL
I guess it depends if you want to do it like it would have left the factory as a manual car, or "just" make it work.

I have converted a car, and glad I didn't google it before I had started. All over the internet told me "Dont do it!".

I have "just" made it work.

Changed the instrument cluster
Add clutch pedal / master / slave
Add clutch lines (all holes/brackets for mouting should be on your car already)
All wiring I have done, is to remove the start lock (simple re-wiring on one relay) - or the DME would want the signal from a clutch pedal switch to let you start the car. Should be a simple thing to add the clutch pedal switch with wiring if you want too.

Will probably add the clutch pedal switch later, but for now, i just needed the car to run.

Last edited by stevemfr; 12-05-2017 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:13 PM
993my is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by stevemfr
I'd be very careful with this project on a 997, though. The ECU's in the 997 became much more advanced than in the 996. Certain ECU's may need to be "coded" to work with a manual transmission (better said, without an automatic). I'd try to verify that you can have all this done before starting.
Stevemfr you are correct. I am not that familiar with the 996 but all the main electronic components on the 997 are programmed with some codes (IPAS) working with the immobilizer. So a swap of the ECU is not possible without reprogamming it. The challenge is to get these IPAS codes from the p-factory or find a helpful mechanic that can get them and do the programming for you. If you simply swap it, the car won't start anymore.

Old 12-16-2017, 02:01 PM
King James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond repute
Before you even think of doing this, are you an extremely advanced DIY-er? As in a motor re-re in your garage is no big deal and you can pull that off with out thinking about it? If not don't even think of doing something like this. It's not add some pedals, 3 wires and a tranny. Unless you're very advanced you'll never get through this, end up screwing up your car and have to pay something to finish it which will cost more.

Simply put, sell your car and buy a manual it's just not worth it.

Old 01-11-2021, 08:09 PM
Rob Wilson is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello.
Happy New Year and lets wish for and work towards a better 2021.
I have been considering this conversion for a while. Most threads say dont do it, but now the price difference between the manual and tiptronic has grown to about $20,000 here.
I consider myself and advanced DIYer having restored a couple of P cars, 944s, 928s and 911s in the past. Just a few months ago I repaired all the coolant pipes on my 9996 turbo in my driveway.
My questions for this conversion are:
  • Can the clutch, flywheel and gearbox from the NA car be used
  • the tiptronic comes with an adapter plate. can the NA transmission be mounted to the adapter plate and have proper clearance for clutch operation
  • there is no way the dealer in my country will recode the ECU, who else can do it?
Thanks in advance.

Old 01-13-2021, 05:41 PM
pancing has a spectacular aura aboutpancing has a spectacular aura aboutpancing has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Rob Wilson
Hello.
Happy New Year and lets wish for and work towards a better 2021.
I have been considering this conversion for a while. Most threads say dont do it, but now the price difference between the manual and tiptronic has grown to about $20,000 here.
I consider myself and advanced DIYer having restored a couple of P cars, 944s, 928s and 911s in the past. Just a few months ago I repaired all the coolant pipes on my 9996 turbo in my driveway.
My questions for this conversion are:
  • Can the clutch, flywheel and gearbox from the NA car be used
  • the tiptronic comes with an adapter plate. can the NA transmission be mounted to the adapter plate and have proper clearance for clutch operation
  • there is no way the dealer in my country will recode the ECU, who else can do it?
Thanks in advance.
By the time youre done you'd have spent a lot of money...

6 to 10k for turbo trans.
1k to 3k for clutch

imo buy a higher mileage 6mt turbo
20k or not by the time youre over and done with you'll have a 6mt turbo without all the headache of conversion.

Old 01-17-2021, 04:40 PM
nitrorocket is on a distinguished road
It’s actually not a bad job, It’s easier to go from an auto to a manual then your manual to an auto.

And by the time you saw your automatic you can buy a six speed trans for about the same price. You will need a front diff too. Different gearing.

I did a full manual to auto swap years back.

Old 01-19-2021, 03:37 PM
Dennis Myro is an unknown quantity at this point
Donor swap

It’s actually not a bad job, It’s easier to go from an auto to a manual then your manual to an auto.

And by the time you saw your automatic you can buy a six speed trans for about the same price. You will need a front diff too. Different gearing.

what about if I have 2002 donor 4c with all the part but with terrible body conditions and swap it with 2004 targa? Just switch all the components or I still can meet some problems?

Old 05-23-2023, 11:25 PM
speedycatz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for sharing your experience. Have you also worked on PDK-to-manual conversions? If so, how much more complicated is it compared to Tiptronic?

Old 05-29-2023, 12:54 AM
Rufrob is an unknown quantity at this point
I did buy a higher mileage manual with accident history and many issues. It was hit at the rear right thus the muffler hung about 2 cm lower.
Engine out for complete clutch system replacement, slave and master cylinders, fuel hoses, oil pressure sensor, water pump, coolant pipe pinning and all new hoses, 964 RS engine mounts, 2gear detent, RWD conversion, suspension refresh, GT2 rear wing, OEM wheels, banged up and leaking aftermarket headers swapped for OEM manifolds, upgraded diverter valves etc. the car is entertaining to say the least.
On top it looked good but underneath it was a hot mess. Enough dirt came out of the radiators to fill a flower pot.
That was a couple of years ago.
Now the low mileage tiptronic is just sitting with fuel pump issues.