996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Tip to manual conversion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 01:52 PM
1braincell is on a distinguished road
Tip to manual conversion

Hi All,
I know that this comes up every so often but I would like to convert my 996TT '03 from tiptronic to manual. The vast majority of posts end with the assumption that it is not worthwhile (i.e. easier to buy a manual car). For a number of reasons I am choosing not to go that route and since I will do the work myself at least the labor will be free. I also have a collection of porsche tools available and plan to source the needed parts through eBay etc. What I was hoping was for someone who actually has done this to comment. Especially interested in the parts list and potential issues. I know that there are quite a few pieces in addition to the transmission such as half shafts, harness, instrument cluster, clutch and so on but it would be great if someone had a complete list.

My goal is to convert my 996tt into a more track focused car hence the 6 speed
and potential to install a LSD.

I will document the process and post online so that share.
Thx,
Jay

Old 07-18-2016, 02:17 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Contact nitrorocket on here. He is going manual to auto. You guys need to chat

Old 08-09-2016, 06:57 AM
nitrorocket is on a distinguished road
Thanks crazy!

I recently did two cars, I swapped a manual into an automatic, and an automatic into a manual car. Obviously it can be done but it is not recommended.
I'm one of those guys that hate when people tell me that, but there are reasons behind this. The amount of labor to be completed far exceeds reason. For starters, the entire interior has to come out right down to the metal including the dashboard. Also, the entire drive train has to be removed from the car, front to rear. Then the wiring madness can begin, lol

There are a ridiculous amount of differences which I can list off if someone needed, but the list is a mile long.

Old 08-09-2016, 10:46 AM
stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !
Actually, I'd love to see the list. And: dashboard? For what - to change the pedal assy?

Old 08-09-2016, 11:29 AM
The pedal assembly can be changed with the dashboard in the car. The dashboard has to be removed to change out all the wiring harness. Every wiring harness in the car is different. Don't forget, there are wires that run to either the manual or automatic transmission that are different, to the shifter assembly, to the TCU, to the ECU, and also to the gauge cluster and fuse block.

Old 08-09-2016, 12:36 PM
stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !
yeah - standardization. Sometimes ya gotta wonder. I'd like to know how much is actually saved on multiple different harnesses for the same vehicle type when you count in the production costs, stocking costs, logistcs etc vs that bit of copper...

In theory it should be possible to swap an auto for a manual without swapping harnesses, no? I can see having to make some changes to the wiring and there'd be a number of dead wires, but the manual doesn't require much wiring...

Just curious. The prices on manual 996s and 7s arequite a bit higher than the autos (at least here in Europe).

Old 08-09-2016, 12:50 PM
You could definitely put you back a new wiring bundle along the old harnesses, but there are actually a very large amount of wiring differences surprisingly enough. I was really surprised how different the harnesses work, like you stated, you would definitely think they would standardize the harnesses and just leave a couple dead wires from the factory. However, this is not the case and there is quite a bit of wiring that needs to be done, either way. The entire interior has to come out(The main dashboard could probably stay though if you were going to piggyback wires and just sneak them through where you can fit them), and the entire drive train of the car from front to back has to also be removed and changed, the motor has to be removed also. The list is endless, heck, you even need to remove the steering wheels and change the clock spring. And in case you didn't know, the wires going to the clock springs are both different also ended to be rewired. There are very extreme wearing differences.

I'm not saying it cannot be done, heck, I just did two cars, but it's not worth it. Realistically with parts and labor you're looking at a $10-$15,000 job depending on the car for a swap.

Manual cars are definitely not going for that much more than an auto.

Old 08-10-2016, 05:47 AM
No, the price difference is not that great
Interesting to hear, anyway.

I am still interested in any additional details you can post (without creating a lot of work).

Old 08-10-2016, 12:47 PM
MariusL is a jewel in the roughMariusL is a jewel in the roughMariusL is a jewel in the roughMariusL is a jewel in the rough
I guess it depends if you want to do it like it would have left the factory as a manual car, or "just" make it work.

I have converted a car, and glad I didn't google it before I had started. All over the internet told me "Dont do it!".

I have "just" made it work.

Changed the instrument cluster
Add clutch pedal / master / slave
Add clutch lines (all holes/brackets for mouting should be on your car already)
All wiring I have done, is to remove the start lock (simple re-wiring on one relay) - or the DME would want the signal from a clutch pedal switch to let you start the car. Should be a simple thing to add the clutch pedal switch with wiring if you want too.

Will probably add the clutch pedal switch later, but for now, i just needed the car to run.

Old 08-10-2016, 02:59 PM
Thank you Marius. What year 996, please.

I like your avatar pic!

Old 08-10-2016, 11:40 PM
MariusL is a jewel in the roughMariusL is a jewel in the roughMariusL is a jewel in the roughMariusL is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by stevemfr
Thank you Marius. What year 996, please.

I like your avatar pic!
My conversion are on a 996 turbo 2002

Old 09-14-2016, 11:28 AM
oren997.1turbo is a splendid one to beholdoren997.1turbo is a splendid one to beholdoren997.1turbo is a splendid one to beholdoren997.1turbo is a splendid one to beholdoren997.1turbo is a splendid one to beholdoren997.1turbo is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by MariusL
My conversion are on a 996 turbo 2002
can you give me some points on how hard it was and what kinda headache you went threw..?
planning to do this to my 997tt as soon as I can....
Cheers

Old 09-14-2016, 11:59 AM
Well it depends on your skill level. I'm a very skilled mechanic who's been doing this most my life, custom builds, custom wiring, custom fuel injection set ups etc. These jobs are extremely difficult even for me. It is slightly easier to go from automatic to manual then from manual to automatic. But not much difference really.

If you figure an OEM install to be, my guesstimate, 70-80 hours of time times an average shop labor rate of $120+ per hour, plus parts. This may not be cost-effective and less you have the ability to do it yourself.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:08 PM
oren997.1turbo is a splendid one to beholdoren997.1turbo is a splendid one to beholdoren997.1turbo is a splendid one to beholdoren997.1turbo is a splendid one to beholdoren997.1turbo is a splendid one to beholdoren997.1turbo is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by nitrorocket
Well it depends on your skill level. I'm a very skilled mechanic who's been doing this most my life, custom builds, custom wiring, custom fuel injection set ups etc. These jobs are extremely difficult even for me. It is slightly easier to go from automatic to manual then from manual to automatic. But not much difference really. If you figure an OEM install to be, my guesstimate, 70-80 hours of time times an average shop labor rate of $120+ per hour, plus parts. This may not be cost-effective and less you have the ability to do it yourself.
Pretty skillful,

I live in Israel things are done different here,and we have like 5 997.1tt here and not one is manual!so it's a must...!
The hard things are the time and a lift,which i have plenty of..
after this project and components hade been all researched and done many times,
It's much more easier and safe now then before..
DI know for shore I don't need to take the dash out and cluster Gage's and probably won't need to replace the stirring wheel(have the older one with all battens which are cool and fine for me..)
So what's left?
1.install clutch pedal with all its components
2.install gearbox with all its components new cooler and center console trim for manuals
3.install manual drive shafts
4.reset the ecu for a manual
5.if I get crazy from the car reacting mad on the cluster gage will replace that as well..

I guess the car will be out for 2/3 months,cuz I want to do it myself....

Did I forget something ?

Thanks for the help
Cheers

Old 09-20-2016, 12:12 PM
Yeah,there's the reconnecting the Tronic radiator to main cooling system I forgot...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tip to manual conversion