996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Turbocharger oil feed check valve

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 09:08 AM
MadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond repute
Turbocharger oil feed check valve

sometimes at start up i get this puff of smoke - after the car been sitting entire week or just for 20min , on the incline (garage has incline) - when I park and sits flat i never see that happen. I do short trips around town , the car do consume some oil (i'm thinking its pretty much burning at start up) here and there. SO i'm thinking to start poking around. first thing I wanna do is check the oil feed check valve.

I did google search and i can't find anything. question is:

Can we replace them? can we clean them by taking apart? any pictures will help as well - thanks !

Last edited by MadWhip; 10-14-2016 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:14 AM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
It is in the section that screws into the top of the turbo. Easy to get to.

Old 10-14-2016, 12:16 PM
MadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond repute
Found it, pelicanparts selling them for $80 a piece, ones i find some spare time I'm going to inspect them

Old 10-14-2016, 12:34 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
im not so sure i would say they are easy to get to but it can be done. that line on top of the check valve is notorious for seizing up if it hasnt been removed in a long time. liberal use of pb blaster is a must before you ever touch it. if it starts to twist its done you will need a new line.

Old 10-14-2016, 02:42 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
Heat it up with a propane torch before you turn the line with a wrench. I couldn't get mine off and that worked for me.

Old 10-16-2016, 11:56 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MadWhip
sometimes at start up i get this puff of smoke - after the car been sitting entire week or just for 20min , on the incline (garage has incline) - when I park and sits flat i never see that happen. I do short trips around town , the car do consume some oil (i'm thinking its pretty much burning at start up) here and there. SO i'm thinking to start poking around. first thing I wanna do is check the oil feed check valve.

Can we replace them? can we clean them by taking apart? any pictures will help as well - thanks !

A brief puff of oil smoke at start up can be just a tiny bit of oil not enough to result in any real drop in oil level even over some time. Almost certainly the engine is consuming oil all all the time. You just don't see at other times because the engine/exhaust is up to temperature.

The smoke at start up is probably residual oil in the intake system that runs into one or more cylinders while the engine is off.

The residual oil probably gets there because one or both turbos have leaking seals.

Excessive oil in the intake system -- sometimes noted at the intercoolers when the intake system is partially disassembled when the plugs are changed -- or by oil on the turbo compressor wheels if these are exposed enough to view -- is generally used to "confirm" leaking turbo seals.

You can replace the oil feed check valves if you want but I suspect -- hope I'm wrong though -- this will have no effect on either the smoking or the oil consumption.

Old 10-16-2016, 03:40 PM
ghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to behold
Old turbo chargers tend to comsume oil cause of the leaking seals.
With new turbos or renewed ones, all the guys i talked with never ever had the blue puff at start up nor any oil consumtion.
I would replace the valves when the turbos get renewed.

Old 10-23-2016, 08:00 PM
Fishey is a splendid one to beholdFishey is a splendid one to beholdFishey is a splendid one to beholdFishey is a splendid one to beholdFishey is a splendid one to beholdFishey is a splendid one to beholdFishey is a splendid one to behold

Every 996 turbo will puff some smoke randomly. If a owner say theirs never does it they absolutely full of crap they did it when new and do it now because of the piston layout. Oil sits in the bore and will leak past the seals and on startup you get smoke generally it's at its worse if you don't warm up the car and turn it off and then restart it.

I see this daily it's absolutely normal

Last edited by Fishey; 10-23-2016 at 08:03 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:17 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Fishey
Every 996 turbo will puff some smoke randomly. If a owner say theirs never does it they absolutely full of crap they did it when new and do it now because of the piston layout. Oil sits in the bore and will leak past the seals and on startup you get smoke generally it's at its worse if you don't warm up the car and turn it off and then restart it.

guess im full of it then. mine has cp pistons cp rings and la sleeves. zero smoke on startup. there may be some condensation vapors but no oil smoke

Old 10-23-2016, 09:38 PM
Fishey is a splendid one to beholdFishey is a splendid one to beholdFishey is a splendid one to beholdFishey is a splendid one to beholdFishey is a splendid one to beholdFishey is a splendid one to beholdFishey is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
guess im full of it then. mine has cp pistons cp rings and la sleeves. zero smoke on startup. there may be some condensation vapors but no oil smoke
You have yourself a Unicorn.

Old 10-24-2016, 06:54 AM
Banned
You have yourself a Unicorn.
or its a fresh motor built with quality parts. most smoke people see isnt from the motor as much as its from oil settling in the turbo then being burnt thru the exhaust . when the b/w 7163 turbos were first installed there werent any check valves , oil would accumulate and smake like crazy. after new c/v and clearing the system smoke is gone

Old 10-24-2016, 07:25 AM

I Totally understand, and i know its normal, and i think thats why oil consumption is coming from as well...

but how would you guys explain some oil in lower intercooler pipe's. or a bit wet on the uppers.

I'm going to try and attempt draining the reservoirs from both ends, and draining them (i'm thinking at some point car was overfilled) and check the valves as well, pretty much this winter the car still be out, but most of the time hibernating in the garage, so i can check on things, and fix some stuff i never had time.

Last edited by MadWhip; 10-24-2016 at 07:27 AM.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:37 AM
Banned
I Totally understand, and i know its normal, and i think thats why oil consumption is coming from as well...

but how would you guys explain some oil in lower intercooler pipe's. or a bit wet on the uppers.

I'm going to try and attempt draining the reservoirs from both ends, and draining them (i'm thinking at some point car was overfilled) and check the valves as well, pretty much this winter the car still be out, but most of the time hibernating in the garage, so i can check on things, and fix some stuff i never had time.
if you have oil in the i/c its from the turbos. oil leaking past the seals in the chra

Old 10-24-2016, 07:46 AM
I doubt that your check valve is broken. Not a part that is likely to fail. Has to be worn bearings in your turbos. Perfect excuse to get some new turbos.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:04 AM
^ yeah, no shaft play as well - I agree about new turbo's its time, 56k on the car. its been like that for more than 2 years, the car runs strong and pulls hard. just need to keep an eye on that oil level ~~

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Turbocharger oil feed check valve