996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

clutch for a 1000 hp set up

Old 04-12-2017, 11:59 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
im aware. johns car is a track monster with a plate on the back!!
Ha! I actually meant to address that to John

I'm pretty sure Sean could make his setup lighter, he chose to leave it heavier for street manners and I still find it revs pretty quickly!

Old 04-13-2017, 12:42 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BLKMGK
Ha! I actually meant to address that to John

I'm pretty sure Sean could make his setup lighter, he chose to leave it heavier for street manners and I still find it revs pretty quickly!
I've talked to Sean about it briefly in the past. His 7.25 ceramettalic combined with Tiltons 7.9lb flywheel might be a good compromise at an attractive price point. I think the fw Sean uses is 18 or 19 lbs so the Tilton one would be over 10 lbs lighter which would be a HUGE decrease in MOI as all the weight is removed from the perimeter. Sean could machine his down but it might just be easier to buy the off the shelf Tilton.

I just purchased a new gearbox and might try the above set up when we put it in.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:36 AM
arjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond repute
that video showed super fast shifting! faster than a PDK! amazing!

Old 04-13-2017, 09:30 AM
SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !
IIRC heavychevy is using the 5.5" Tilton in his 996TT, maybe he can chime in.

I've ran 7.25" Tilton triple carbon in a dual purpose car and it did not last long at all. Only recommend that for a track car.

I've got the most recent revision (updated this year) of the RPS Triple carbon with lightweight flywheel that I am putting in as soon as I can find the time.. I haven't measured it, but seems to be slightly smaller diameter than stock clutch, but not as small as the Tilton 7.25". Pretty lightweight as well.

Old 04-13-2017, 10:16 AM
LOLS996TT is an unknown quantity at this point
Definitely a great car/pilot/fast shifts lol- entertaining to watch! When I had my Evo 8, Tilton carbons were the go to for holding the launches and power at the track and obviously being able to shift incredibly fast while being easy on the synchros. This sadly came at a cost lol. They would generally last about 40-50 hard launches/passes before needing rebuilt and ensuring engagement was right via pedal adjustments was paramount. Some guys complained that once they were rebuilt they wouldn't allow the trans to shift the same as a brand new one but I would attribute that to the guys trying to shift at 9500-10K RPM when the clutch was tired and thus dragging the synchros in the process making them tired lol. Amazing clutch but one must reason that at this level this consumable has shorter change intervals and sadly there isn't much of a way around it.

Old 04-13-2017, 11:04 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
When I purchased my clutch Sean made a point of telling me he left weight in it for street driving. I don't know how light he could make it but he certainly has the equipment to do so! My flywheel is his standard weight and it can still rev faster than I'd like leaving a light so to go lighter would be pretty wild for sure.

Old 04-14-2017, 02:03 PM
Jferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
I just purchased a new gearbox and might try the above set up when we put it in.
why new Gbox already?

Old 04-14-2017, 05:22 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jferrante
why new Gbox already?
Just a spare... My Gbox was just refreshed and a new clutch put in..

Old 04-15-2017, 05:34 AM
arjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond repute
thanks for all the input folks I've decided to keep my current triple discs since I already have some $$$ invested into it and with a promise from the manufacturer that I'll get the latest updated unit and WHEN! is the big question,lol, for the meantime I'm purchasing an Exedy unit from a fellow 6speeder and see how it is. I'm a mild racer (road course/drag) and I won't subject my P car to that abuse as I have other toys specific for that.
thanks!

Old 04-15-2017, 06:18 AM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by arjayr33
thanks for all the input folks I've decided to keep my current triple discs since I already have some $$$ invested into it and with a promise from the manufacturer that I'll get the latest updated unit and WHEN! is the big question,lol, for the meantime I'm purchasing an Exedy unit from a fellow 6speeder and see how it is. I'm a mild racer (road course/drag) and I won't subject my P car to that abuse as I have other toys specific for that.
thanks!
Finders fee!! 😁

Old 04-15-2017, 08:58 AM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !
Check out this video. Extremely fast car and driver. My friend who built my engine and gearbox built this GT3R motor and gearbox. If I recall he told me its a 3.8 with a 5.5 Tilton metallic. The super low MOI of the clutch assembly allows for some lightning shifts. There is just no way to shift this fast with a heavier clutch set up without destroying the synchros. Obviously this would be pretty much undriveable on the street but I don't really care about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kFRv9zsXAo

That my friend is damn skill! I understand shifting like that for a quarter pull, but continually around a track. I thought for sure he was doing no lift shift, but he is actually lifting and on that quick!

How so much art and skill is being lossed in this sport with all the new PDK,DSG boxes now.

This shifting skill, like cursive writing is sadly coming to a slow end.

Again, I can just watch how he handles that car and the freaking shifting, heel toe etc again and again!

Old 04-15-2017, 09:14 AM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !
HOLD ON!! THIS IS HEAVYCHEVY CAR IN THE VID?!

If so that is straight bad man!

I've talked to Sean about it briefly in the past. His 7.25 ceramettalic combined with Tiltons 7.9lb flywheel might be a good compromise at an attractive price point. I think the fw Sean uses is 18 or 19 lbs so the Tilton one would be over 10 lbs lighter which would be a HUGE decrease in MOI as all the weight is removed from the perimeter. Sean could machine his down but it might just be easier to buy the off the shelf Tilton.

Originally Posted by SeattleTurbo
IIRC heavychevy is using the 5.5" Tilton in his 996TT, maybe he can chime in.

I've ran 7.25" Tilton triple carbon in a dual purpose car and it did not last long at all. Only recommend that for a track car.

I've got the most recent revision (updated this year) of the RPS Triple carbon with lightweight flywheel that I am putting in as soon as I can find the time.. I haven't measured it, but seems to be slightly smaller diameter than stock clutch, but not as small as the Tilton 7.25". Pretty lightweight as well.

Last edited by Bobbyfali; 04-15-2017 at 11:03 AM.
Old 04-15-2017, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by Bobbyfali
HOLD ON!! THIS IS HEAVYCHEVY CAR IN THE VID?!
No, that's Clay in his rare 3.8 996GT3R...

Last edited by pwdrhound; 04-15-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-15-2017, 06:19 PM
what a workout it is! best aerobics ever!

Old 04-15-2017, 06:21 PM
clutch

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
Finders fee!! 😁
lunch on me bud, thanks for the hook up

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.