996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Gt700 -> Gt800

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 09:11 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Gt700 -> Gt800

I've had the GT700 kit on for the summer and have become interested in the 800 kit. The EVOMS recent success at the track has been the thing to push me close to the edge. There are a lot of new and interesting toys on the EVO site - heads and cams come to mind. I would also like to do better intercoolers and intake plenum if/when available. Taller gearing on the low end might be a good idea too. I would think a more sturdy MAF would be imperative to handle the airflow without crapping out every couple of days.

What's the extra lag going to be like? Will it drive me crazy and make me want to go back to the quick spooling GT700 turbos?

Mike

Old 01-20-2006, 10:44 PM
Porscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of light
Buddy should be a great resource. He has gone from Stage 5 --> Gt800 --> GT700. He believes (If I can speak for you Buddy) that the GT700 is the perfect balance of spool and power.

Old 01-20-2006, 10:56 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Porscheboy16
Buddy should be a great resource. He has gone from Stage 5 --> Gt800 --> GT700. He believes (If I can speak for you Buddy) that the GT700 is the perfect balance of spool and power.
Yea from what i have read also, GT700 package seems like the ultimate most fun package due to quick spool as well, but i heard on GT800 on up when the turbo does spool, it hits 10x harder than GT700.. Oh well i'll take either haha!

Old 01-20-2006, 11:41 PM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Zippy
What's the extra lag going to be like? Will it drive me crazy and make me want to go back to the quick spooling GT700 turbos?
The GT800 hits with a force that is indescribable and meaningfully stronger than a GT700. There is indisputably more lag, but you learn to accomodate for it (e.g., keeping the rpms a tad higher if you anticipate pushing it). IMHO, the additional lag is a small price to pay for the additional power that follows and continues until you let off (e.g., 1/4 of a second of additional lag = 10 second of continuous more power).

I would think a more sturdy MAF would be imperative to handle the airflow without crapping out every couple of days.
After blowing out my OEM MAF, I installed a 986 MAF and it has worked fine thus far.

I would also like to do better intercoolers and intake plenum if/when available.
They are available now through Speed Gallery and work great!!!

There are a lot of new and interesting toys on the EVO site - heads and cams come to mind.
My car is off to EVO MS next week for head work, cams, pistons, and a couple more upgrades.

Craig

Old 01-21-2006, 12:27 AM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
Craig,

Is your car already feeling slow to you Your car is awsome already

Old 01-21-2006, 12:37 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
I would think a more sturdy MAF would be imperative to handle the airflow without crapping out every couple of days.
Mike
If I spent $27K plus labor and my MAF would crap out every few days... I would be mad.... if thats the case.... then something is really wrong. apparently, the stock MAF doesnt read past a certain point... and I heard that the the high HP cars dont address this issue... I personally seen a gt700 here in chicago at a shop for 2 months cause it had various running problems under WOT... to me it sounds like maf. now, changing it to a boxter maf is really not the answer.... u need a maf that reads past the limit of the stock one... and thus proper ecu calibration to accomodate.... Giac and the tuning community is in CALI.... Im in chicago where air is much denser and its way colder... how is a car going to respond? who has a gt700/750 in cold climate... and how does it really run when its cold. that what i would like to know.
the 986 maf is just a band aid fix.... and I believe that current us tuners have not addressed this issue...
chatter via the grape vine( between tuners.. and the tunning community) is that these high HP cars dont run well in cold climates.... because MAF is not able to handle much denser air under so much boost/ hp....
just my novice .02 cents

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Last edited by markski@markskituning; 01-21-2006 at 12:48 AM.
Old 01-21-2006, 07:05 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
If I spent $27K plus labor and my MAF would crap out every few days... I would be mad.... if thats the case.... then something is really wrong. apparently, the stock MAF doesnt read past a certain point... and I heard that the the high HP cars dont address this issue... I personally seen a gt700 here in chicago at a shop for 2 months cause it had various running problems under WOT... to me it sounds like maf. now, changing it to a boxter maf is really not the answer.... u need a maf that reads past the limit of the stock one... and thus proper ecu calibration to accomodate.... Giac and the tuning community is in CALI.... Im in chicago where air is much denser and its way colder... how is a car going to respond? who has a gt700/750 in cold climate... and how does it really run when its cold. that what i would like to know.
the 986 maf is just a band aid fix.... and I believe that current us tuners have not addressed this issue...
chatter via the grape vine( between tuners.. and the tunning community) is that these high HP cars dont run well in cold climates.... because MAF is not able to handle much denser air under so much boost/ hp....
just my novice .02 cents
I have been running my car in 30 degrees and it runs GREAT! Loves that cold air and it is hard to get traction!

Old 01-21-2006, 07:07 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Porscheboy16
Yes, you are correct. I had Stage 5 with big Garrett T04 turbos and they had significant lag. Now when they hit WOW but it was definately a change you had to get use to. I like the GT700 kit better, so maybe there is a way to increase the power on the GT700 without the big lag. Maybe some head work, different cams, etc..???

Old 01-21-2006, 09:14 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
hey buddy G.... can u tell me what ur boosting? because if ur 1.3 and under then u will probably nor experience this issue....
the question still remains... why is zippys car not feeling great... ???

click to view

Old 01-21-2006, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
hey buddy G.... can u tell me what ur boosting? because if ur 1.3 and under then u will probably nor experience this issue....
the question still remains... why is zippys car not feeling great... ???
My car is usually at 1.2 with spikes to 1.4

Old 01-21-2006, 01:04 PM
rmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of light
What are the flow limits of the stock MAF ?

Old 01-21-2006, 01:51 PM
Basic Sponsor
stock maf flow 490 or something like that.....

click to view

Old 01-21-2006, 05:59 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
I too run my car at 30 degrees or even colder. The other day on sunday morning it was 17 degees and ran the car about 50 miles with several full throttle runs and no problems with maf.In fact I never had aproblem with the maf in my car and i have had the 700 kit since May and the 640gt since oct 2004.By the way my car regularly hits 1.4 bar! Wonder if the boost gauge is off?Just got me thinking (don't mean to hijack)shouldn't 1.4 bar send it into limp mode?

Old 01-21-2006, 06:06 PM
Basic Sponsor
well.it will pull the timing.... but do u ssutain 1.4 bars or jsut peak....
so my question is.. why is one gt700 boosting 1.1 bars(1.2 spikes)... and another 1.4 bars.... doesnt make sense. or is it.. as I suggested.. the MAF.. better yet the climate...
Im sure Stephen can explain.

click to view

Old 01-22-2006, 12:38 AM
RennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond reputeRennTechV12 has a reputation beyond repute
I drove my GT700 tonite at 46f...the only problem I had was the severe wheelhop in 3rd gear. I was doing about 60, downshifted and floored it, the car went to full boost, and the wheels started hopping! The car (like most forced induction cars) loves the cold. I have had absolutely no issues, other than too much power for the tires.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Gt700 -> Gt800