996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Porsche 996tt Kline Exhaust Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 09:47 PM
Never Enough is a glorious beacon of lightNever Enough is a glorious beacon of lightNever Enough is a glorious beacon of lightNever Enough is a glorious beacon of lightNever Enough is a glorious beacon of lightNever Enough is a glorious beacon of light
Talking Porsche 996tt Kline Exhaust Review

Hey guys,
I thought Imight share some of the information about my Kline stainless exhaustinstallation for any of those that might be interested.

I am afairly new owner of a 2002 996tt, and purchased my car with a GIAC tune having just been installed about 1 year and 500 miles before my purchase. Being a prior owner of a slightly modified normally aspirated Porsche 911 and a prior owner of another brand of turbo sports car with stage 3 mods, right after my purchase I began to research the various exhaust options available to increase the turbo’sperformance, and add a little character to the car. I had previously test driven a Porsche turbo with an aftermarket exhaust that both my wife found to have intolerable amounts of constant drone, so a big consideration for me was finding an exhaust system that simply added a little performance and character without making the car impossible to drive.

After reading member comments about different exhaust options here on 6Speed and elsewhere and of course watching any number of youtube videos pertaining to the most popular performance exhaust systems, I reached out to Sam of By Design Automotive Group who happens to be one of the sponsors on 6Speed. I learned Sam is also a GIAC dealer, and he has had plenty of personal experience with the Kline exhaust on the 996tt coupled with a GIAC tune. Sam suggested the Kline 200 Cel stainless steel exhaust system should meet my needs well, and thought with 93 octane fuel available in my area and my GIAC tune the car might pick-up around 40 crank HP.

It all sounded like just what I was looking for and the price was very fair, so I ordered the Kline stainless exhaust system with 200c el catalytic converters.

The UPS man showed up at my door 4 business days later with the new Kline exhaust, it was very well packed and arrived safe and sound. I scheduled an appointment with Autobahn Service Inc. of Fairfax, VA to install the exhaust and check my car’s alignment, and Jose and his team at Autobahn Service did a first rate job on the exhaust installation and alignment. The 02 sensors and a few of the old exhaust bolts needed a little heat and persuading to be removed, but all in Jose estimated the exhaust removal and installation took about 3 man hours.

For comparison purposes the new Kline exhaust with 200 cel cats weighs right at 31.3 pounds, and the old Porsche exhaust system weighs 55 pounds, so there is an appreciable weight savings of nearly 24 pounds with this change.

First impressions:
I had stepped out into the waiting area when the car was first started up cold, and when I heard it start I was actually a little disappointed. It was noticeably louder than the stock exhaust, and a little louder than I had expected.

I actually peaked in the garage half hoping the sound was not coming from my car but perhaps one of the other Porsches they were working on instead, but half knowing it was certainly coming from my car.

I even joked shortly afterwards that the exhaust was probably not going to be on the car for very long…

But that first impression stopped just as soon as I got inside the cabin and slid behind the wheel!

Wow, what a difference just being inside the car.

Close the door, and the sound was almost the same as with the stock exhaust, what a very nice surprise! I even opened up the sunroof, sweet, that growl sounds nice!

The first few minutes driving the car I was fairly apprehensive still thinking at any moment I might hear an unbearable drone, but it just never came. At around 2400 RPMs there was a brief and ever so slight harmonic drone, but it was nothing I find in any way objectionable. Both above and below that brief RPM range there is no harmonic at all, and once the car gets above 3000 RPMs it now begins to sing!

What a sweet exhaust note!

Now for once it sounds like a finely tuned piece of German mechanical engineering, not just a Teutonic sewing machine on steroids!

While it is difficult to quantify, the change in performance is noticeable. The turbos clearly spool up slightly quicker, and once they spool the car is clearly stronger. In the past the most I had seen on the boost gauge was 1 bar, but today I saw 1.1 bar for the first time. I can’t say with certainty the change in boost pressure was totally due to the exhaust change, perhaps it was just that I held the accelerator down a little longer than I have in the past listening to that sweet engine noise, who knows…

But I do know for certain the new sound of my car’s engine is music to my ears without any objectionable drone, the engine performance is stronger than it was, and the cost was very fair.

That is a just a Win/Win/Win in my book!

My final impression:
An excellent quality exhaust system that provides performance and character, and is priced very fair.

Thanks again for your help Sam of By Design Automotive Group, and thanks to Felix Kline for making such a sweet exhaust available at such an attractive price!

Thanks to Jose of Autobahn Service Inc. in Fairfax, VA for the exhaust installation service. I know I will be taking my car back to Autobahn Service for all my Porsche service needs.

Thanks to all of you at 6Speed for sharing your knowledge and experience, and thanks for reading about my Kline exhaust. If there are any questions I might be able to answer, please feel free to let me know.
Cheers! Dave

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160405_143504_154.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	369.3 KB
ID:	445109   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160405_143731_016.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	327.7 KB
ID:	445110   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160405_144128_445.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	539.9 KB
ID:	445111   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160407_113402_784.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	317.6 KB
ID:	445112   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160407_114007_572.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	268.1 KB
ID:	445113  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160407_115002_358.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	432.1 KB
ID:	445114   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160407_115011_386.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	450.7 KB
ID:	445115   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160407_122811_275.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	409.3 KB
ID:	445116   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160407_124621_878.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	291.1 KB
ID:	445117  

Last edited by Never Enough; 04-08-2016 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:18 PM
TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !
Sam is the best! Lets hear a sound clip!

Old 04-07-2016, 10:58 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Sounds like you're pretty local to me! We'll have to get some folks together and compare setup sometime when mine is home again. One thing I noticed with my exhaust from a different manufacturer - it didn't drone except when I was behind another 911 with an exhaust. The weirdest resonance kicked in and while not objectionable you could tell when the two cars were nearly matching rpm. No idea what it sounded like to bystanders but I bet your system would do it too, it's kinda neat lol. Hoe to get my car back on another week or two and I'll be driving the wheels off of it. Sounds like you've had good experience with that shop? I'll be looking for suspension tweaking next I suspect and want to find a local shop. Congrats on the exhaust!

Old 04-08-2016, 05:49 AM
BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BLKMGK
Sounds like you're pretty local to me! We'll have to get some folks together and compare setup sometime when mine is home again. One thing I noticed with my exhaust from a different manufacturer - it didn't drone except when I was behind another 911 with an exhaust. The weirdest resonance kicked in and while not objectionable you could tell when the two cars were nearly matching rpm. No idea what it sounded like to bystanders but I bet your system would do it too, it's kinda neat lol. Hoe to get my car back on another week or two and I'll be driving the wheels off of it. Sounds like you've had good experience with that shop? I'll be looking for suspension tweaking next I suspect and want to find a local shop. Congrats on the exhaust!
We definitely need to get together. Quite a few of us here in Maryland too.

Is your car going to be ready by next weekend for Hershey?

Old 04-08-2016, 07:36 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
My experience was the same. I'm in love with this exhaust. I spend a lot of time commuting in my car, i can still take calls, etc with no questions. Get on it, and all hell breaks loose.

I actually think this is quieter in 6th between 60-80 than the stock exhaust was.

Old 04-08-2016, 08:19 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
That was an awesome review Dave, thanks! I'm really glad you are enjoying the system and I appreciate all the kind words guys. I work hard to offer as much detail as I can and even give a full guarantee. But, Reviews like this really help people on such a decision that can get stressful. Cheers

Old 04-08-2016, 10:28 AM
Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !
Congrats on the new pipes!

I got perhaps the greatest compliment ever on my Kline exhaust...a thumbs up from a Ferrari F430 driver! He came up from behind me as the 280 freeway dumps into SF....so he got to hear the roar pretty good, as I was jousting with a female driven C6 Z06 at the time. Not racing, just playing....but the Kline was at full roar!

Old 04-08-2016, 03:31 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
I'd be happy to get together unfortunately my car won't be ready by next weekend and I've got company coming into town. I'm hoping to be able to pick it up the weekend after, fingers crossed and assuming Garth hasn't run into problems

Old 04-09-2016, 11:35 AM
Never Enough is a glorious beacon of lightNever Enough is a glorious beacon of lightNever Enough is a glorious beacon of lightNever Enough is a glorious beacon of lightNever Enough is a glorious beacon of lightNever Enough is a glorious beacon of light
Count me in on a local get together, that would be fun.

With the GIAC tune and Kline exhaust installed, I am now very pleased with the car's power output.

My next interests are going to be focused on tightening up the suspension, so any thoughts or personal experiences would be welcomed. My first upgrade is going to be changing to a 997 transmission mount with just a little added 3m window weld, but I am still undecided about the future direction for changes to springs and dampers.

What a crazy weather day for April, we actually had light snow today...

Old 04-09-2016, 12:04 PM
We should probably start a thread to discuss a get-together and local stuff\plans but I'm down for it as soon as my car comes home from NJ. It would be VERY interesting to compare the various exhaust systems!

Old 04-09-2016, 12:34 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Great review. Sam is a great guy!

Old 04-09-2016, 10:41 PM
Banned
996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute
+1 for sam

Old 04-10-2016, 04:36 AM
BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !
haha, you guys probably wouldn't like my exhaust.

Old 04-10-2016, 12:32 PM
magoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant future
Love my 3" Kline....Especially in the mid range. In my opinion, It's the first TT exhaust that really sounds great in the mid range without having to be at WOT. There are many great sounding exhausts out there but it seams like you always have to be driving like a bat out of hell to get a great sound. The Kline sounds great everywhere and does not drone.

Sam from by Design is great. Unsurpassed customer service.

Karl

Old 04-10-2016, 10:46 PM
MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !
Love my Kline as well...but a very different experience than described above. Most above seem to have the 2.5" with 200 cell cats.

My 3" decat is LOUD...and has pretty unbearable drone everywhere. Looking past that however, it's got the most gnarly, awesome exhaust sound I've heard on the 996 TT.

I'm adding 100 cell cats to try and take the edge off however, as the drone is just too much. I will report back on the results!

I'm also a huge fan of Kline and buying my parts from SamboTT@BYDESIGN.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.