996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Stereo Headunit Upgrade on the 2002 Bose / Nav Turbo 996?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 11:47 AM
GetBoosted Is a GOD !GetBoosted Is a GOD !GetBoosted Is a GOD !GetBoosted Is a GOD !GetBoosted Is a GOD !GetBoosted Is a GOD !GetBoosted Is a GOD !GetBoosted Is a GOD !GetBoosted Is a GOD !GetBoosted Is a GOD !GetBoosted Is a GOD !
Stereo Headunit Upgrade on the 2002 Bose / Nav Turbo 996?

Hi everyone,

I'm having a hard time finding concrete information on what is needed for upgrading the stereo in my 2002 996 Turbo w/ the OEM Bose Navigation stereo system.

From my searching, it seems that in 2003, Porsche started using fiber optics for the audio so those more involved to upgrade. But in 2002 I think I can just buy a new head unit then some aftermarket connectors to install it. However I cannot find anything concrete to say what adapters I need and if the headunit can be dropped right in. And I do not want to rewire the speakers or the amp. I just want to adapt the aftermarket stereo to the OEM headunit's wiring harness then plug it in & go.

TL;DR;
- What do I need to buy in order to upgrade a 2002 Porsche Turbo w/ Nav & Bose to an aftermarket head unit only and retain the OEM speakers, amps, etc?

Thanks,

Chris

Old 11-13-2017, 12:58 PM
romeo62186 is a name known to allromeo62186 is a name known to allromeo62186 is a name known to allromeo62186 is a name known to allromeo62186 is a name known to allromeo62186 is a name known to all
Just buy a double din kit off ebay or wherever that INCLUDES the wiring harness so that you don't have to splice wires. Plug and play. I made the mistake of ordering a kit that did not have the wiring harness and had to reorder one with it as nobody sells just the wiring harness seperately (that I was able to find at least).

Old 11-14-2017, 05:19 AM
GetBoosted Is a GOD !GetBoosted Is a GOD !GetBoosted Is a GOD !GetBoosted Is a GOD !GetBoosted Is a GOD !GetBoosted Is a GOD !GetBoosted Is a GOD !GetBoosted Is a GOD !GetBoosted Is a GOD !GetBoosted Is a GOD !GetBoosted Is a GOD !
I was checking on eBay but I'm not sure if what I'm seeing is the right kit... The ones that specify that they are Bose compatible state that they only work with fiber optic setups. I was under the impression that Porsche didn't start using fiber optics for the Bose systems until 2003.

Could you clarify? Perhaps what I found before about the year that fiber optics got added is incorrect. I've read that on a couple of forums but it could be bad information floating around.

Thx!

Old 11-14-2017, 07:02 AM
Third-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond repute
By the kit from Suncoast Porsche. I did and it worked perfect in my 02. I did not have the factory nav though.

Old 11-14-2017, 04:37 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
If you have factory Nav, your head unit has to send a code to the amp for it to work. If you buy an after-market head unit, you loose that ability so you can't use the amp if you change the head unit.

If in doubt, just unplug your battery for a few seconds and reconnect. When you turn the radio on, the system should ask you for a code. (Make sure you have the code before you test!) Most people write the code on something in the car - check under the ash tray or in the arm rest to see if there is a note with the code.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by Third-Reef
By the kit from Suncoast Porsche. I did and it worked perfect in my 02. I did not have the factory nav though.
Ah I didn't even think of Suncoast. Great idea. I will give them a call to ask them about cars with nav just to be sure.

Originally Posted by Slider
If you have factory Nav, your head unit has to send a code to the amp for it to work. If you buy an after-market head unit, you loose that ability so you can't use the amp if you change the head unit.

If in doubt, just unplug your battery for a few seconds and reconnect. When you turn the radio on, the system should ask you for a code. (Make sure you have the code before you test!) Most people write the code on something in the car - check under the ash tray or in the arm rest to see if there is a note with the code.
Yeah I do need a code for the radio to work. I've got all the cards & such but I recall that from when I last replaced the battery and had to re-enter the code.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:57 PM
Third-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond repute
My car with no nav just a cassette becker radio required the radio code. When i upgraded to the pioneer dbl din i no longer needed the code. But i can't speak for a nav equiped car.

Old 11-15-2017, 01:00 PM
romeo62186 is a name known to allromeo62186 is a name known to allromeo62186 is a name known to allromeo62186 is a name known to allromeo62186 is a name known to allromeo62186 is a name known to all
I'm sorry, I forgot you have NAV. My 02 didn't have NAV so I wouldn't know if it's the same.

Old 11-15-2017, 08:40 PM
I didn't get a chance to call Suncoast today (lots of meetings) to bug them about my situation. Hoping they can shed some light on the situation too.

Old 11-17-2017, 04:34 AM
DaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond repute
We offer a retrofit kit for Bluetooth streaming and calls, which leaves the factory system intact...
Dave
Rennkit

Old 11-17-2017, 07:08 AM
Thanks Dave. I currently have an iPod adapter that is hooked into the stock headunit (came w/ the car) that I have added a bluetooth adapter into so I can stream music currently which is really the main goal of this.

However that solution just isn't as clean and the headunit looks dated so I was hoping to upgrade to a newer unit so I can get a better streaming experience w/ android auto. Honestly that's really the main goal w/ all of this. I am not an audiophile and my car is pretty loud w/ the exhaust anyway. So just looking for a better streaming & usage experience.

I'm still waiting for the OEM wing hydraulics to fail or a group buy so I can pick up the eRam kit that you developed. That looks awesome btw!

Small update on my contact w/ CAI & Suncoast. I called both yesterday and CAI is going to get back to me today (they wanted to double check to ensure they gave me the right info). And Suncoast said their kit (link) will work with no problems. I want to talk to CAI though because they seemed way more knowledgeable about the stereo than the customer service rep at suncoast did.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:15 AM
gadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to all
Really interested to see how this turns out. You and I have the same goals.

Chris

Old 11-17-2017, 09:39 AM
DaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GetBoosted
Thanks Dave.
I'm still waiting for the OEM wing hydraulics to fail or a group buy so I can pick up the eRam kit that you developed. That looks awesome btw!
Thanks! We are here for *when* you need us!

Old 11-17-2017, 10:04 AM
I installed a Pioneer AVH-x3800bhs dbl din in mine with the suncoast kit. it interfaces with the S7 edge android phone through blue tooth. I have a wireless charging phone mount. it all works awesome. The phone sound quality is incredible considering how noisy my car is. No need to spring for the more expensive head unit with navigation because the google nav running through the android auto is great and probably better. The integration of the whole system using android auto is incredible. I can just say OK google, then where is the nearest starbucks, it pops up, i say navigate, and off i go. Pandora and spotify are seamlessly integrated. Text messaging also is integrated into android auto and happens with just voice commands. Way better than the system in my wife's 2011 Cayenne with the full on nav/infotainment system. When she rides in my car she keeps saying "why can't i do that in my Cayenne"

DBL DIN head unit is the best upgrade i have done to my car.

Old 11-17-2017, 02:04 PM
gadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to all
So does the requirement for a code go away with a new dbl din radio?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.