996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Stock 996TT vs tuned 996TT

Old 01-10-2018, 07:14 AM
uk996tt is an unknown quantity at this point
Stock 996TT vs tuned 996TT

Not the usual question of how much more power or torque.

My question is the impact on running costs.

Obviously if I use the performance to the full, it'll cost a lot more in consumables and wear will be higher, also I may end up in jail.
This will apply to the stock and tuned car.

What if I'm driving normally, perhaps on a long road trip, I don't want to end up with a car that only manages 150 miles before it needs refilling.

Will the tuned be similar to stock on fuel (when driven normally) ?

Tuned - think K16 billet turbos, free-flow ic, larger injectors and ecu map to suit. Say 600whp.

Thanks

Old 01-10-2018, 07:52 AM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
It won't cost you any more just cruising around. You will need a new clutch. There is much more risk of breaking stuff too, you have to pay to play! If money is a concern I don't advise getting into modding cars, that is for sure.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:56 AM
s65e90 is infamous around these parts
I have a modified car w/ everyone done except turbos. I still see over 25 mpg on nice long road trips, I take the car on several thousand mile excursions and have no issues. Taken care of it will be just as reliable as stock. Just quicker to get there.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:08 AM
I'm looking for my first 996TT - I've seen modified ones for sale. I'm trying to ascertain the downsides. I'm going to stick with either stock or modified ones from reputable shops.

Thanks

Old 01-10-2018, 08:12 AM
Also, what are your thoughts on the X50 pack. Worth the extra ? Or better to save that money for a free flow exhaust and a remap ? I assume a X50 with the same mods will yield better results of course.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:13 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Agree with s65e90. I also got only a tune and exhaust and it transform the car completely! I did these mods 6 years after I bought the car and it simply feel like a new car. This hidden power has to be used and I love it!

Old 01-10-2018, 09:04 AM
Third-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond repute
I have a mildly modded X50. The extra umph of the K24s allowed me to get to the max HP allowed by the stock injectors easily (intercoolers, exhaust and a tune). However i think that the K24 turbos create a lot more resonance with aftermarket exhausts. I have switched back to a stock exhaust because i could not take it anymore and i am tolerating the loss of top end and spool that comes with it. the K24s also have more lag. Not a big deal on the track but could be a big deal to someone that is into sporty street driving. I think the biggest draw for the X50 option is resale value (kind of silly but true).

Old 01-10-2018, 10:57 AM
Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !
I'm custom Cobb tuned by Sambo with 100 octane + Kline 2.5" exhaust, no other engine mods on my stock K16 '02 Turbo. It's not too loud and it's not very laggy either.

I can easily knock down 23-25mpg on the CA freeways at 65-75mph. Car runs and drives just like stock, only it's got 100 more hp and 100+ ft lbs of torque. I'm inclined to change the plugs every 15K miles vs 30K, but other than that, no impact to running costs (other than the obvious 100 octane @ $7.87 / gallon).

My stock clutch is holding up just fine, but in full disclosure the previous owner had it replaced at 40K miles, so it's still very fresh with only 13K miles on it.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:07 AM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
I think a mild tune would make no real difference, except for the clutch wearing a bit faster if you push it a lot. In stock form, it feels like this engine is barely working to produce the power it does.

I've had tunes on several cars in the past. I currently have a GTI that had a stage 1 tune all its life and it had zero impact; 112k mi now.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:48 PM
Blk04996tt is an unknown quantity at this point
+1 on the mild mods, keep it simple you should be fine. I also have Cobb and Kline, with 13k miles, everything else is original. No issues. It's tempting and very easy to fall into the addicting world of mods, kind of like drugs. Choose wisely.

Old 01-10-2018, 02:52 PM
If I do get it tuned, it'll be mild. An exhaust and a remap at most. Unless I get one that already has the K16, big IC and injectors of course.

How can I be sure an X50 car is really X50 ? I've used VIN decoders, that info doesn't seem to be there.

Old 01-10-2018, 02:55 PM
mrthree is a glorious beacon of lightmrthree is a glorious beacon of lightmrthree is a glorious beacon of lightmrthree is a glorious beacon of lightmrthree is a glorious beacon of lightmrthree is a glorious beacon of light
I have Mafless tune, Sambos K16 Billets. 4.5 Inch intercoolers and 1000cc Cobb injectors. Car runs like stock, still delivers decent fuel economy and just needs plugs more often. And it is WAY faster than it was when it was stock. Modding these cars is like serious addiction...be careful.

Old 01-10-2018, 02:55 PM
Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by uk996tt
If I do get it tuned, it'll be mild. An exhaust and a remap at most. Unless I get one that already has the K16, big IC and injectors of course.

How can I be sure an X50 car is really X50 ? I've used VIN decoders, that info doesn't seem to be there.
The Frunk sticker will have the X50 code if it's there.

When I was searching for my Turbo 3.5 years ago, I looked at and drove both K16 and K24 X50 cars. In my opinion, the K24 cars were definitely softer on the bottom end / midrange compared to K16 cars. In the end, I chose a car based on previous owner, maintenance history, overall condition, and a little bit of luck.

A well tuned K16 car with exhaust is a helluva lot of fun to drive!

Old 01-10-2018, 03:45 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
If you plan to mod for power, one of the best advantages of the X50 is that you can have the compressor wheels upgraded to the 18G Wheels for a minimal expense and with typical supporting mods there is virtually no lag and a ton of power to be enjoyed. It's fast. Mine trapped 133 in the 1/4 mile and was still pulling very hard. And that was with the Mitsubishi 18G wheel, not the newer 18G billet version. Many of the fast 1/4 mile cars are only trapping in the 120's. K24's are a great turbo to mod. on the 996TT and very drivable. IMO, no lag issues to be concerned about - pure fun.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 01-10-2018, 06:56 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Road King
The Frunk sticker will have the X50 code if it's there.
What he said, sticker under the (front) hood (or bonnet for the UK guys ) . It lists all the options the car came with (including X50 package)

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stock 996TT vs tuned 996TT