996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Aem vs Syvecs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 08:58 AM
s65e90 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by prodigymb
you cannot get a Motec in the car for close to Syvecs Money. while I agree that an M1 series is a top notch ECU and ahead of syvecs. you have to weigh in the fact that 996TT firmware for CAN intergration is not available from Motec. custom GPU package needs to be developed. Then you need a wiring jumper harness, included with Syvecs for plug and play and has to be custom made for Motec. Then you unlock the next level logging which is also not included in the cost of Motec.

I have priced an M150 out and even got as far as having an engineer to come out and put a canbus sniffer on a 997 to get the stock CAN data off the car, bought the plug and pin kit to start making a harness. However I then decided that I was tired of pioneering and bought a Syvecs for it from ESMotor. And I can tell you that Motec 150 setup was going to cost about 2-2.5 times more than Syvecs. I would not use AEM on this car.

Care to elaborate. Absolutes like that should have some way as to substantiate why?

Old 03-02-2018, 08:58 AM
Mpsuk will become famous soon enough
Hmm, I’m reading between the lines here but guessing you have had a bad experience or two? So, I’m your opinion, is your Syvecs worth the cash? Thanks

Old 03-02-2018, 09:07 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by s65e90
Care to elaborate.
nope not really. my opinion and my advice. can take it or leave it.

Originally Posted by Mpsuk
Hmm, I’m reading between the lines here but guessing you have had a bad experience or two? So, I’m your opinion, is your Syvecs worth the cash? Thanks
it is 100% worth the cash. I also recommend buying it from whoever will tune your car as that is the best way to ensure you always have support.

support and having the right person behind the keyboard are key.

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 03-02-2018, 09:18 AM
SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !
you cannot get a Motec in the car for close to Syvecs Money. while I agree that an M1 series is a top notch ECU and ahead of syvecs. you have to weigh in the fact that 996TT firmware for CAN intergration is not available from Motec. custom GPU package needs to be developed. Then you need a wiring jumper harness, included with Syvecs for plug and play and has to be custom made for Motec. Then you unlock the next level logging which is also not included in the cost of Motec.

I have priced an M150 out and even got as far as having an engineer to come out and put a canbus sniffer on a 997 to get the stock CAN data off the car, bought the plug and pin kit to start making a harness. However I then decided that I was tired of pioneering and bought a Syvecs for it from ESMotor. And I can tell you that Motec 150 setup was going to cost about 2-2.5 times more than Syvecs. I would not use AEM on this car.
Valid points. And I fully agree on skipping AEM. I had such a ****ty experience with the original AEM on my Supra that I cannot trust anything they put out.

I have not fully priced out going M1 because it is at least a year or more away for me and who knows what else will be out by then. There is a shop local to me that has developed plug and play Motec M1 for 996/997 and has it running in a couple of big motor GT3s. I spoke to them briefly about it to confirm it's something that they can do, but didn't get down to the nuts and bolts of it all. Once I have my 3.8 in the car I'll be talking to them in more detail about it.

Syvecs is a strong choice and I would stick with my Cobb before using AEM.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:30 AM
Enclavet is a splendid one to beholdEnclavet is a splendid one to beholdEnclavet is a splendid one to beholdEnclavet is a splendid one to beholdEnclavet is a splendid one to beholdEnclavet is a splendid one to beholdEnclavet is a splendid one to behold
The current generation of AEM standalones are totally different from the standalone in your Supra. But I guess if I had a bad experience with one brand, I would want to take the risk of this significant investment.

As I said before, go with a system that has local support.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:36 AM
nope not really. my opinion and my advice. can take it or leave it.

it is 100% worth the cash. I also recommend buying it from whoever will tune your car as that is the best way to ensure you always have support.

support and having the right person behind the keyboard are key.

Kind of useless to say that you're against something without giving any reasoning as to why, specifically when you're in a medium such as a car forum asking about said product. People rave about the new Infinity ECU, surprised though to not see it more, although how many P car guys are changing computers. Not to mention you can make alot of power on the stock setup.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:37 AM
Agreed people need to stop comparing AEM to what they used years ago as it's not the same and not fair to lump the 2 together.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:38 AM
SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Enclavet
The current generation of AEM standalones are totally different from the standalone in your Supra. But I guess if I had a bad experience with one brand, I would want to take the risk of this significant investment.

As I said before, go with a system that has local support.
Yep- pick a reputable tuner and go with their recommendation. It makes all the difference in your experience.

I understand they are totally different now, it's just hard for me to forget having my car towed after the EMS completely shutting down while driving and losing all data, more than once.. AEM admitting it's a known issue.. replace the EMS, happen again... After 3 ECUs I just went Motec M800 on it. Just hard for me to trust a company who's quality control/support thought it was acceptable to release something like that.. Sure they covered the failures, but could've been really bad if it happened in situations other than sitting in traffic or driving down the freeway..

Old 03-02-2018, 09:42 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SeattleTurbo
Valid points. And I fully agree on skipping AEM. I had such a ****ty experience with the original AEM on my Supra that I cannot trust anything they put out.

I have not fully priced out going M1 because it is at least a year or more away for me and who knows what else will be out by then. There is a shop local to me that has developed plug and play Motec M1 for 996/997 and has it running in a couple of big motor GT3s. I spoke to them briefly about it to confirm it's something that they can do, but didn't get down to the nuts and bolts of it all. Once I have my 3.8 in the car I'll be talking to them in more detail about it.

Syvecs is a strong choice and I would stick with my Cobb before using AEM.

yes a shop that has done is Dundon. they have done it on a 997 GT3, CAN is different between 996 and 997 and between 997 GT3 and Turbo. similar but not same. as of last year they have not done any Turbos. the guy who wrote the GT3 M1 GPU package for them is actually who came out to do CAN sniffing for me, he lives in New York and his name is Matt.

this is what he quoted me:
- M150 ECU would be $3770
- The DS Porsche 997 license would be $1600 (this is what makes the Motec box being able to run the Porsche, sensors, firing order, input/output calibration, CAN bus presence, ABS compatibility, AC etc etc)
- Level 2 logging which is a $375 option
- Lambda LTC-D for dual bank ($844)
- most other sensors are $150 each.

Note: these prices are over a year old so use them as "good estimates"

Then you have wiring for the ECU Jumper harness and for the Auxillary sensor harness which will have all your additional sensors, fuel pressure, flexfuel, EGT, backpressure, upgraded MAP sensor etc. I would say this will cost about $2500 at least. Then you have setup and tuning $1000-2000. Don't forget maybe $500-$1000 to install and troubleshoot the thing.

back of the envelop accuracy math will tell you $11,000-12,000

I have also discussed this with Antonio Calvo who is a member here and his shop developed the Motec M1 platform for the Gen 5 viper and he told me that he was thinking about developing the package as well for the 997 and the approximate cost would be similar to what I posted, slightly higher.

Originally Posted by s65e90
Kind of useless to say that you're against something without giving any reasoning as to why

buy it, try it and post some more useful feedback in that case

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |

Last edited by Mark @ AIM Performance; 03-02-2018 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:46 AM
yes a shop that has done is Dundon. they have done it on a 997 GT3, CAN is different between 996 and 997 and between 997 GT3 and Turbo. similar but not same. as of last year they have not done any Turbos. the guy who wrote the GT3 M1 GPU package for them is actually who came out to do CAN sniffing for me, he lives in New York and his name is Matt.

this is what he quoted me:
- M150 ECU would be $3770
- The DS Porsche 997 license would be $1600 (this is what makes the Motec box being able to run the Porsche, sensors, firing order, input/output calibration, CAN bus presence, ABS compatibility, AC etc etc)
- Level 2 logging which is a $375 option
- Lambda LTC-D for dual bank ($844)
- most other sensors are $150 each.

Note: these prices are over a year old so use them as "good estimates"

Then you have wiring for the ECU Jumper harness and for the Auxillary sensor harness which will have all your additional sensors, fuel pressure, flexfuel, EGT, backpressure, upgraded MAP sensor etc. I would say this will cost about $2500 at least. Then you have setup and tuning $1000-2000. Don't forget maybe $500-$1000 to install and troubleshoot the thing.

back of the envelop accuracy math will tell you $11,000-12,000

I have also discussed this with Anotnio Calvo who is a member here and his shop developed the Motec M1 platform for the Gen 5 viper and he told me that he was thinking about developing the package as well for the 997 and the approximate cost would be similar to what I posted, slightly higher.
Yeah, I think you're right on not having done it on a turbo, but I think they've got it on a 996 GT3 based on talking with Charles when I was up there a couple weeks back.

Pay to play for sure. Who knows what I'll go with when the time comes. Maybe Cobb will be good enough since Im not going for anywhere near the power you and some of the other guys make. I'm a road course guy.

Old 03-02-2018, 05:39 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
I'm using the stock ECU in conjunction with a Motec dash/logger which is integrated with the Motec fuel pressure sensor, oil pressure sensor, Motec DHB fuel pump controller, and Motec dual bank LTC-D (lambda to CAN) module. The 996Cup Motorsport ABS is also integrated with Motec. All up this was around $10K. We are in the process of adding a fuel temp sensor and a Motec brake pressure sensor. Possibilities are endless.

Old 03-02-2018, 08:30 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
I'm using the stock ECU in conjunction with a Motec dash/logger which is integrated with the Motec fuel pressure sensor, oil pressure sensor, Motec DHB fuel pump controller, and Motec dual bank LTC-D (lambda to CAN) module. The 996Cup Motorsport ABS is also integrated with Motec. All up this was around $10K. We are in the process of adding a fuel temp sensor and a Motec brake pressure sensor. Possibilities are endless.
dont forget shock sensors and G sensor

how come you haven't done the ECU yet?

Old 03-03-2018, 01:04 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
dont forget shock sensors and G sensor

how come you haven't done the ECU yet?
The Motec dash has an internal G sensor. Shock pots are nice but they eat up a tremendous amount of data..

My shop only does Motec but apparently the man hours for programming of the Motec ECU to seamlessly work with the Turbo Mezger are huge. Honestly, with what we're doing, the OEM ECU works just fine. If it ain't broke, don't fix it is my motto.

Last edited by pwdrhound; 03-03-2018 at 01:06 AM.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:17 AM
People who spend money for the Motec + all the add on crap that's NOT included are in another realm, i.e. sportscar racing. Stock ECU makes enough power and for the money there's so much else.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:39 AM
Mpsuk will become famous soon enough
Looking on gtr sites and evo sites it seems many people think Syvecs is one of if not the best ecu available and the fact it’s plug and play! Think I’ll go with it

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Aem vs Syvecs