996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Aem vs Syvecs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 10:37 AM
Mpsuk will become famous soon enough
Aem vs Syvecs

Has anyone done a comparison? I am pretty much sold on the Syvecs but found out today that aem also have a plug n play ecu for our cars. Getting decent reviews off the supra crowd. Bit cheaper than Syvecs but apparently faster? Any one with one please tell me your thoughts. Tia

Old 02-28-2018, 10:41 AM
SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !
If you're going to spend Syvecs money, may as well look into Motec M1-series as well. I would go with Motec over anything else on the market.

AEM has never been a top of the line ECU in my experience. I had one in a Supra a long long time ago (10+ years) and it was unreliable. I'd hope the newer ones have improved, but I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig. For a budget solution, I'd look into ProEFI over AEM.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:06 AM
s65e90 is infamous around these parts
AEM infinity is worlds better than the old ECU

Old 02-28-2018, 11:58 AM
Enclavet is a splendid one to beholdEnclavet is a splendid one to beholdEnclavet is a splendid one to beholdEnclavet is a splendid one to beholdEnclavet is a splendid one to beholdEnclavet is a splendid one to beholdEnclavet is a splendid one to behold
I have used Pectel (spiritual predecessor of Syvecs), Autronic, and AEM infinity (in my 996tt now).

AEM Infinity is definitely a step in the right direction in terms of modern standalones. Was easy to install and setup (base maps) and can be had for a pretty good price as there are a few in the classifies.

I can get you setup if you go that route. I plan to switch to Speed Density eventually and had to wire in a separate BAR sensor and plumb it into a vacuum line post TB.

Other than that, the car starts up, does what I want it and is pretty reliable which is what you want in a standalone.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:25 PM
s65e90 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Enclavet
I have used Pectel (spiritual predecessor of Syvecs), Autronic, and AEM infinity (in my 996tt now).

AEM Infinity is definitely a step in the right direction in terms of modern standalones. Was easy to install and setup (base maps) and can be had for a pretty good price as there are a few in the classifies.

I can get you setup if you go that route. I plan to switch to Speed Density eventually and had to wire in a separate BAR sensor and plumb it into a vacuum line post TB.

Other than that, the car starts up, does what I want it and is pretty reliable which is what you want in a standalone.
Yeah AEM just says MAF compatible but doesn't say much about speed density setup. You just plumb a 5 bar map and have a hookup on ECU for the signal?

Old 02-28-2018, 01:45 PM
Well, I am definitely running mafless. I’m pretty much sold on the Syvecs. From what I’m told it’s the best on the market. I was just checking what else is out their. Is motel plug n play?

Old 02-28-2018, 02:24 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mpsuk
Well, I am definitely running mafless. I’m pretty much sold on the Syvecs. From what I’m told it’s the best on the market. I was just checking what else is out their. Is motel plug n play?
Motec is what is used exclusively by Porsche Motorsport and by pretty much every serious team in widely by others in Motorsports. You have to decide what is "best" on the market but I think Porsche has done their research. I have tons of Motec stuff on my car and it's all top notch. It's certainly not cheap but I wouldn't touch anything else even if it was given to me for free.

Old 02-28-2018, 02:47 PM
Ok, I’ll look into who offers this in uk and tunes Porsche’s. at the moment, storm developments in the uk have offered me a good deal. I’ll definitely look into the notes though

Old 02-28-2018, 03:44 PM
DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !
What is your build or build plan?

Old 02-28-2018, 04:48 PM
Tial hta 3076 turbos, all bolt Ons then next winter get rods and head studs and maybe some meth.

Old 02-28-2018, 05:08 PM
DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !
Tial hta 3076 turbos, all bolt Ons then next winter get rods and head studs and maybe some meth.
Choose a tuner, then go with their ECU of choice. I can't speak to AEM, but I just had a great experience with Syvecs with ESMotor (check out the last couple post here: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...e-v-3-a-5.html)

Old 02-28-2018, 08:35 PM
Enclavet is a splendid one to beholdEnclavet is a splendid one to beholdEnclavet is a splendid one to beholdEnclavet is a splendid one to beholdEnclavet is a splendid one to beholdEnclavet is a splendid one to beholdEnclavet is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by s65e90
Yeah AEM just says MAF compatible but doesn't say much about speed density setup. You just plumb a 5 bar map and have a hookup on ECU for the signal?
All standalones support speed density. If you tune it yourself, tuning with VE is ultimately faster and easier to make hardware changes without having to visit fuel maps.

Of course a blow through MAF offers all the advantages of a MAF without the plumbing/performance losses of pre turbo placement. I havnt decided what I will go with either speed density or blow through maf.

Thats correct I plumbed a 5 bar Map and wired it to the extra connector that the PNP harness provides. You need to cut the wire from the OEM MAP sensor though.

Ultimately like a few people said in this thread, find a tuner that supports a particular standalone especially if you don't have the experience or time to tinker around remotely from your dealer.

Honestly standalone ECUs arnt rocket science and generally good tuners can tune any system as all the concepts are the same.

Old 03-02-2018, 08:28 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SeattleTurbo
If you're going to spend Syvecs money, may as well look into Motec M1-series as well. I would go with Motec over anything else on the market.

AEM has never been a top of the line ECU in my experience. I had one in a Supra a long long time ago (10+ years) and it was unreliable. I'd hope the newer ones have improved, but I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig. For a budget solution, I'd look into ProEFI over AEM.

you cannot get a Motec in the car for close to Syvecs Money. while I agree that an M1 series is a top notch ECU and ahead of syvecs. you have to weigh in the fact that 996TT firmware for CAN intergration is not available from Motec. custom GPU package needs to be developed. Then you need a wiring jumper harness, included with Syvecs for plug and play and has to be custom made for Motec. Then you unlock the next level logging which is also not included in the cost of Motec.

I have priced an M150 out and even got as far as having an engineer to come out and put a canbus sniffer on a 997 to get the stock CAN data off the car, bought the plug and pin kit to start making a harness. However I then decided that I was tired of pioneering and bought a Syvecs for it from ESMotor. And I can tell you that Motec 150 setup was going to cost about 2-2.5 times more than Syvecs. I would not use AEM on this car.

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 03-02-2018, 08:38 AM
Thanks for that. It seems the Syvecs is an excellent system. How would you compare it to oem as in features such as rolling anti lag?

Old 03-02-2018, 08:54 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
Thanks for that. It seems the Syvecs is an excellent system. How would you compare it to oem as in features such as rolling anti lag?

I think on paper the features look pretty much the same across the board. flex fuel, antilag, boost switching, map switching, additional inputs for fuel pressure, back pressure etc etc. how well does it work in the real world when the hammer drops. that's when you start really valuing the basics...

- does cold start enrichment work properly or does car spit and sputter when its cold
- how fast does it start? does it need 10 seconds of cranking??
- does car hold idle right without jumping between tables in various conditions
- is ABS getting proper CAN signals from the ECU to work right
- is the dash working right or does it look like a Christmas tree because its not getting right signals. like water temp, fuel gauge, display messages

most people want to shop the bells and whistles which in my opinion are secondary to the actual ECU integration and implementation, pure ability to run the car right, the engine and all the other functions, available support. can you email someone for help and will they be helpful or will they tell you that you are an idiot and you installed it wrong ( even though you didn't)

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Aem vs Syvecs