996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

BC Speed Fest 1/2 mile results! Thanks Sambo

Old 07-07-2018, 08:48 AM
vogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond repute
BC Speed Fest 1/2 mile results! Thanks Sambo

Attended the Battle Creek Speed Fest 1/2 mile airstrip event last weekend. It’s a unique 1/2 mile event because you run in the morning, break for lunch and get to watch air show, which was awesome. Then run in the afternoon again if you want. I didn’t run in the afternoon (not my choice, lol...details below).

First I have to give a big shout out to Sam@bydesign for pretty much always being available to answer my questions/concerns and for awesome tuning/support.

Over the last year or so I’ve been trying to stretch the OEM K16s as far as they can go. I started with a Mafless tune from Sam using the Cobb AP, and added 997GT2RS intercoolers, Speedtech 2.5in X-pipe with 100 cell cats and a 5bar FPR. Ran some 1/4 mile passes last fall and was able to rip off an 11.6@123mph on race gas. Not bad, but I was leaving some power on the table with the rusted factory wastegate actuators. I couldn’t tighten them and was thus only making about .8 bar up top.

So this summer I picked up some Tial 1bar WG actuators and Forge DVs from Sam and he re-tuned to squeeze as much as we could out of the factory Turbos. Now I spike to 1.2 bar and hold 1.1 bar all the way up to 7k rpms. Car feels a lot stronger.

Conditions were pretty rough for the 1/2 mile last weekend. 90+ degree heat and a very stiff headwind of almost 20mph. Some very powerful cars were running much slower than normal. My best pass was 151mph. This was a standing start too. No rolling from 40 here.

To compare with other cars at the same event.
2018 R8 V10 with exhaust - 150mph
2008 GT500 with 620rwhp - 146mph
2012 Mustang GT supercharger with 730rwhp - 153mph
2014 911 Turbo S with tune and exhaust - 154mph

Car is flying for stock K16s. In good conditions should be able to trap 128+ in the 1/4.

Alas, I might not get to find out since I popped a coolant fitting on my third pass right before the line. 🙁

If I need to pull motor to get to whatever fitting popped I’ll probably upgrade the turbos too.

Anyway, check out pics here!
https://goo.gl/PeUY7a

Old 07-09-2018, 01:27 AM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
Nice runs. Coolant fittings suck. Get a clutch also.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:05 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
that's moving!

Old 07-09-2018, 01:03 PM
vogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by brnrdtns
Nice runs. Coolant fittings suck. Get a clutch also.
Thanks!

Found the cuprit.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/153274489@N02/Ma60dF

I think I'm going to JB weld it back in and then pin all the accessible ones. while I'm in there. Should be back on the road soon.

Clutch is actually holding up really well so far. It was replaced shortly before I bought the car in 2015. I can launch hard and shift hard with zero slip.

That said, I'm probably going to pull the drivetrain over the winter for turbos, injectors and clutch.

Old 07-09-2018, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by HotRodGuy
that's moving!

Your car moves out pretty good too if I recall...

Old 07-09-2018, 10:59 PM
Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !
Thanks for posting, lots of good info. Pics?

I'm also running a Sambo 1 bar MAFless Cobb tune with Kline "offroad" exhaust exclusively on 100 octane. Car holds 1.0 bar in cooler weather, but I would also like to squeeze a little more out of it, maybe ICs and some wastegates will yield a little more...

Old 07-10-2018, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by Road King

I'm also running a Sambo 1 bar MAFless Cobb tune with Kline "offroad" exhaust exclusively on 100 octane. Car holds 1.0 bar in cooler weather, but I would also like to squeeze a little more out of it, maybe ICs and some wastegates will yield a little more...
Pics are linked at the bottom of first post.

The extra boost is definitely very noticeable.

Old 07-10-2018, 11:44 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Road King

do it...and turbos

Old 07-11-2018, 10:30 PM
s65e90 is infamous around these parts
Man that's awesome. I have the same setup, minus WG and FPR and need to get my car out to get some numbers. I think this car is a blast on the stock turbos and trapping 120s is awesome. Car is flying.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by s65e90
Man that's awesome. I have the same setup, minus WG and FPR and need to get my car out to get some numbers. I think this car is a blast on the stock turbos and trapping 120s is awesome. Car is flying.
Do it, and then get some WG actuators and FPR. I was running out of fuel BEFORE the new WG actuators.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:12 AM
s65e90 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by vogz
Do it, and then get some WG actuators and FPR. I was running out of fuel BEFORE the new WG actuators.
Yeah, Sam told me to tighten up the arms, I left em. Fast enough for now, and the 3" catless with a ton of other mods does help the boost and spikes a tad. I agree that a pump, injectors would be the next step, just enjoying the car done as is. IMO for the street, there's no reason to need anything more. From your times, it's flying.

Old 07-14-2018, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by s65e90
Yeah, Sam told me to tighten up the arms, I left em. Fast enough for now, and the 3" catless with a ton of other mods does help the boost and spikes a tad. I agree that a pump, injectors would be the next step, just enjoying the car done as is. IMO for the street, there's no reason to need anything more. From your times, it's flying.

Definitely

Old 07-16-2018, 05:30 PM
SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !
I bought some actuators after seeing this thread... Sam sent me the updated tune today... excited to get the car back on the road and see what happens

Old 07-16-2018, 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by SeattleTurbo
I bought some actuators after seeing this thread... Sam sent me the updated tune today... excited to get the car back on the road and see what happens
Good stuff. You're going to love it.