996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

2001 996tt w/tip - Iowa Newbie

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 09:29 AM
Clint Henry is an unknown quantity at this point
2001 996tt w/tip - Iowa Newbie

Hey guys couple of quick question I thought I would toss out to the group. First time Porsche owner so I have a few things to learn. Brief background, 01 996tt with 97k miles, prior salvage with, relatively speaking, minor damage to the front. Runs and looks good. Recently throwing a code when accelerating at hywy speeds only.

Here are a few questions i have been looking to gain insight to.
  • Fuel - Guessing 91 non Ethanol. What are you guys using? Car is all stock, for now! Oddly, it seems kindof difficult to find a straightforward answer to this question. I can choose between 91 non ethanol or 93 ethanol in my area.
  • Code reader - Durametric seems like the way to go. I will be working with a mechanic friend to do stage 2 or 3 performance mods. Otherwise maintenance will be done by a garage. Car is throwing one code constantly and occasionally the emergency run trans code when I start it below freezing.
  • Recommended shops in the Des Moines area or surrounding. Sounds like Westside Auto might be the best bet for now based on some brief Google time. Shop would be for maintenance and possibly perf mods if my mechanic friend is not comfortable doing the mods. We will get into this in more detail later.
Thanks for reading, look forward to your feedback.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:10 PM
vogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome to the club. Hopefully your 6TT treats you as well as most of ours have treated us.

As for your questions, if you can get 93 even with 10% ethanol, run that. That's what I use and the car runs great. These cars don't seem to have any problem with ethanol.

Durametric is definitely the way to go.

As for a shop near DSM, I won't be able to help there. Hopefully someone local can chime in.

Enjoy the ride!

Old 01-04-2019, 10:05 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
Welcome. If I were you I'd work with Markski at marksituning. He is in chicago and does good work.

Old 01-05-2019, 07:43 AM
rickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud of
Welcome to the P - club and welcome to the forum.
Your gonna love that car !
Fuel - 93 with E10 is perfect. Just a top tier station with lots of activity. I have owned my '03 since new and it is all I ever used. Runs perfect.
Durametric - way to go.
Mechanic - Can't help there but as previously posted Markski is a stand up guy with tons of experience if he is in your area. I will give you this advise... Be careful with who you choose to work on your car. Trust me ! Alot of hacks out there posing to be Porsche mechanics. I don't even trust the dealer unless it's an old timer who knows the car or I had a newer vehicle.
This forum has an ton of DIY's and with the help of the members your car is easy to perform basic maintenance and troubleshooting on your own. If your into that sort of thing !
Do you have maintenance records ?
If you don't, I would start with an inspection from a reputable mechanic. I would start with the basics of filters, fluids, plugs and coils. All this is easy DIY. I would also do a Boost Leak test. You would be amazed at what you will find. And of course take care of your trouble codes.
It is just my opinion that you get the car well sorted before you move forward with a tune and upgrades as without doing so could very well produce bad results and possible harm.
Be careful and enjoy your new ride.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the great info. Yeah. Markski keeps coming up. I might do his stage 3 upgrade once I get the car sorted out. Need to get the pads and rotors on, rear sway bar, and the check engine light sorted first. Then I will start the upgrades. Well actually I need to get it licensed first, which is turning out to be interesting due to the prior salvage. The car didnt come with any service records which sucks. I got the car "cheap" so i cant complain...I guess! Lol

Old 01-10-2019, 01:12 PM
TMAC will become famous soon enough
Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forum. Enjoy the car!

Old 01-10-2019, 04:33 PM
techweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant future
I wonder if this is the red salvage Tip I looked at 5 years ago? It was stupid cheap because of a couple dash lights that wouldn't go out. Kinda kicked myself for not getting it for 1/2 year or so, then paid a LOT more for a clean title car.

Salvage can be a great way to get into a fun driver. Hope it works well for you, and welcome!

Old 01-14-2019, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by techweenie
I wonder if this is the red salvage Tip I looked at 5 years ago? It was stupid cheap because of a couple dash lights that wouldn't go out. Kinda kicked myself for not getting it for 1/2 year or so, then paid a LOT more for a clean title car.

Salvage can be a great way to get into a fun driver. Hope it works well for you, and welcome!
Looks like this one got wreck around 2 years ago, salvaged out of Houston TX. All that was replaced was the front bumper/lip, repair to the hood and one headlight. I have pics of it wrecked. Not sure why they totaled it really.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.