996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Champion RS98's updated

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 05:11 PM
mrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond repute
Champion RS98's updated

I had some curb rash after a few years on my rear wheels and saw a seal grey 997TT with this color combo. I couldn't believe how good it looked. I looked into powder coating and got my wheels refinished with the exact color I wanted and they were able to miraculously repair the rear rims to look like brand new. It was inexpensive too! Having the center caps color matched cost 1/2 as much as all 4 wheels. I know it may not be for everyone but I love it!

Here's the finished product!

Old 05-12-2019, 09:29 PM
gadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to allgadangit is a name known to all
I like it! I too have seal grey and have been contemplating swapping out my black RUF wheels. I had not considered red before, but it looks great!

Old 05-13-2019, 11:51 AM
mrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by gadangit
I like it! I too have seal grey and have been contemplating swapping out my black RUF wheels. I had not considered red before, but it looks great!
Thanks for the positive comment! I got the wheels 5 years ago and in addition to the curb rash I put on them the original finish started to peel off. I was ready to get a new set of wheels but for 100 bucks a wheel I figured I could extend their life a few years and make them look like I had new ones again. I've always loved RS98 wheels and the finished product blew me away when I went to pick them up from the metal refinisher. The only sticker shock was the $275 bill from the body shop to color match the stock center caps but still; for less than $700 I got the exact look I was going for. Sometimes things work out just right.

I have a tip for anyone getting their wheels powder coated - before installing them the first time take a Dremel with a wire brush attachment to the back side where the wheel sits around the hub on the rotor and remove the overspray or the first time you try to remove them it will seem like they are welded to the rotor (or tell the shop not to coat that area). I learned the hard way!

Old 05-13-2019, 01:24 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
I looks good. Somehow different and sometimes odd colors work on Porsche cars. Maybe it is the racing history?

Old 05-16-2019, 04:03 AM
RDS993 is a name known to allRDS993 is a name known to allRDS993 is a name known to allRDS993 is a name known to allRDS993 is a name known to allRDS993 is a name known to all
Would unreal with yellow 997 TT calipers.

I like it anyhow. Nice job!.

Old 08-26-2019, 09:16 PM
supra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by mrmaass
I had some curb rash after a few years on my rear wheels and saw a seal grey 997TT with this color combo. I couldn't believe how good it looked. I looked into powder coating and got my wheels refinished with the exact color I wanted and they were able to miraculously repair the rear rims to look like brand new. It was inexpensive too! Having the center caps color matched cost 1/2 as much as all 4 wheels. I know it may not be for everyone but I love it!

Here's the finished product!

OP - were these powdercoated in low heat?

Old 08-27-2019, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by supra.z06
OP - were these powdercoated in low heat?
I couldn’t tell you for sure but the shop was reputable and has done 100’s of sets of wheels.

Old 09-22-2019, 09:45 PM
jimmyz2 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mrmaass
I couldn’t tell you for sure but the shop was reputable and has done 100’s of sets of wheels.
Is it ok to name the Bay Area shop. I am in Marin. Thanks

Old 09-23-2019, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by jimmyz2
Is it ok to name the Bay Area shop. I am in Marin. Thanks
If not I'm sure the moderators will delete this but I am happy to send them more business. The shop is called Melrose Metal Finishing and they are in Oakland. If you look them up on Yelp you can see that I am one of hundreds of very happy customers.