996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

2021 Thoughts on Meth Injection?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2021, 11:47 AM
pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !
2021 Thoughts on Meth Injection?

Starting to get the itch again for more power. Currently on early gen Tial A28s, ID 1k injectors, 200cel cats, and 1.2bar Cobb tune. This puts me at the conservative limits of CA 91 octane fuel. I don't track the car and it's more for fun around town when I'm in the mood, serving DD about half the week with my other DD.

What's the latest thinking on Meth injection? 50/50 or even full water injection? Which kit to go for that has good/easy integration with the 996 electronics?

I'm not looking to necessarily tune for that much more power. Perhaps a minor bump to boost or timing as my setup is still conservative. Just more safe octane and benefits of cooling to stay well away from knock to compensate for low octane 91 gas.

Last edited by pteck; 10-25-2021 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-25-2021, 04:27 PM
JSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond repute
Stock rods?

Old 10-25-2021, 07:12 PM
pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !
Stock rods.

I'm not looking to push past 600hp. More that I'm looking for more safe margin and to optimize current performance with only 91 octane.

What's a good meth injection kit these days?

Old 10-26-2021, 12:01 AM
Bugeater is on a distinguished road
I would imagine at less than 600 horsepower its not needed.

Old 10-26-2021, 08:08 AM
It's not about specific HP level really. I'm interested in meth injection for more potential and safe margin from lowly 91 octane.

Question still stands. What's the current recommendation for meth injection kits? Nozzle sizing for ~600hp?

Old 10-27-2021, 01:28 PM
JSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by pteck
It's not about specific HP level really. I'm interested in meth injection for more potential and safe margin from lowly 91 octane.

Question still stands. What's the current recommendation for meth injection kits? Nozzle sizing for ~600hp?
Aquamist is still around, In my travels, they are often in the discussion, probably not the cheapest option but they do have several fail safes . HFS3 if I recall has been discussed many times. There are so many different opinions on this topic, one of the more popular discussion revolved around whether not the intake system can effectively distribute the methanol to each cylinder proportionality. I suppose if you are not running on the ragged edge, this may not be as big of an issue. I ran methanol injection on my Audi S4 back in the day, I never really had any issues. Obviously you have to keep the tank filled, I was using Boost Juice from Summit Racing, 50/50 blend.

Out her in CA I wouldn't do it, as it is becoming more difficult to smog your car, surely a methanol injection system would be a major red flag, and would likely be hard to hide, or at least a pain the ***.

There are some good threads in the forum.

Old 10-28-2021, 06:06 PM
Thanks and this helps. I've been digging into this and many of the more modern Porsches also use Aquamist, and also Snow and AEM. They have varied degrees of complexity and failsafe's, and none seem to be more easily or readily integrated.

I'm looking to do meth to kill 3 birds with one stone. Supplemented octane for more stable ignition timing on hot days, cooler and safer IATs for more safe margin, and potentially more room to turn up the wick later if I so choose Personally, 91 octane IMO is just not enough for even 550hp. I still have stock intercoolers, and it would be reasonable to upgrade these GT2RS units, but from what I've seen with meth or even plain water injection, the cooling effects are much beyond what's possible with upgraded intercoolers. Plus I only run on the street so I'm not heat soaking the intercoolers like it would on track.

I may try something different with all of this which is to setup fender intakes with a MAFless tune I already have. Then put all the meth pump/bottle/stuff in a second stock spare intake box that I have. This should keep everything tidy with a single meth line running the underside of the Y-pipe ahead of the throttle body. And a harness that's tapped into the requisite electrical lines.

You bring up a good point with smog. All this should can be reverted easily enough - back to regular intake, remove meth line leaving nozzle on underside, flash back to MAF tune.

Old 10-29-2021, 04:39 PM
Codyk is on a distinguished road
I’ve never run it before on any of my cars. I either max out at 93 or run e85. Seems like it would be a hassle to mess with

Old 10-29-2021, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by Codyk
I’ve never run it before on any of my cars. I either max out at 93 or run e85. Seems like it would be a hassle to mess with
If I lived in a state with 93 octane, this would be different. In CA, we pay a premium for gas, that then tops out a 91 octane. When even stage 1 tunes need to tailored for ACN91 (Arizona, California, Nevada 91) versus rest of the states that have readily available 93, that's not enough octane for stable timing at higher HP levels.

Old 11-19-2021, 04:35 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
I'm a meth addict. It's not a pain and nothing to mess with if it's set up right. You can gain 30-50whp with some conservative tuning, and with aggressive tuning, you can gain 60-80whp...been there done that...still doing it...

Old 11-19-2021, 04:43 PM
drinaldis is a glorious beacon of lightdrinaldis is a glorious beacon of lightdrinaldis is a glorious beacon of lightdrinaldis is a glorious beacon of lightdrinaldis is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by ttboost
I'm a meth addict. It's not a pain and nothing to mess with if it's set up right. You can gain 30-50whp with some conservative tuning, and with aggressive tuning, you can gain 60-80whp...been there done that...still doing it...
Care to share your set up? Pics or a write-up?

Old 11-19-2021, 04:49 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Old 996tt from 10 years ago...search this forum for my screen name. Had an Aquamist kit. Tons of info...Went a different route on my current Meth kit, but still recommend Aquamist, if you can find one.

Old 11-21-2021, 12:22 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pteck
Personally, 91 octane IMO is just not enough for even 550hp.
91 Octane tune, 1.3 bar, NO Meth.... It can be done....

Old 11-22-2021, 05:14 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Here is my client on k16 billets with our supporting mods and custom tuning - 93 octane and meth made 656 rwhp on dynoject.
656rwhp/630rwtq

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 11-23-2021, 09:37 AM
drinaldis is a glorious beacon of lightdrinaldis is a glorious beacon of lightdrinaldis is a glorious beacon of lightdrinaldis is a glorious beacon of lightdrinaldis is a glorious beacon of light
I think the OP is looking for solutions using ACN 91 gas.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2021 Thoughts on Meth Injection?