996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

2006 Turbo S vs 2006 Z06

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 12:22 AM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Ruiner
118mph is Turbo S speed, not that of a 415hp 996TT. I know what the mag says, but trust me on this one. 118.43mph traps in a stock, K-16 turbo'd 996TT ... well, that would be the fastest trap that I have EVER heard of in these cars over the past 5 years... Once again, you can't really trust mag times as they are somtimes "massaged". Remember Motor Trend's 11.91 @ 116mph run for a stock '01 996TT? What you see in person at the drag strip is more of a real world indication. What you experience first hand while doing highway runs is even more so. As for questioning my ability to run a Z06, I have plenty of drag racing time under my belt. I find it highly odd that you could pull the Z06 driving my car, yet I couldn't. Perhaps you are commenting on my driving ability. It seems rather cocky of you. Interesting...
Yes, u might say im cocky but i say confident, not cocky. I have seen several times that a 996 turbo running 118 trap times. I have seen times for a gt3 running 12.3 at 118 also just for reference. Im am in no way insulting ur driving ability. I have never seen u drive and wouldnt know how u do drive, so saying u rnt a good driver is NOT what i am saying at all. i am just that sure of my driving capabilities. also, u have to take into account a turbos gears are probably much shorter than the z06s. that cars runs through gears like crazy.

Old 03-27-2006, 12:24 AM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Ruiner
So wait... You are telling me that a 408hp (stock) 993TT gained 8-10mph in its trap speed with only a gain of 16hp (424hp)????

As for the Z06, it's going to take more than 123mph traps to run even with the new Z06, much less catch it. Listen, I agree that 911 turbo is the pinnacle of engineering hands down, but in terms of performance, the C6 Z06 wins in way too many categories to be overlooked.
What i did not say there was i meant the 993 tt S. Those cars are BEASTS and a half.

Old 03-27-2006, 06:44 AM
the Dragon is on a distinguished road
Having had the pleasure of racing many, if not all, of the above mentioned cars in this thread on the street in real-world driving conditions I can offer some input

Given the fact that I LOVE 996TT'S (buying one in the next week or two) and I haven't liked Corvette's since the Stingray body-style, I'm still a logical realist.

One CANNOT deny real-world facts and performance numbers. A C6ZO6 will prison-rape a modified 996TT, or modified 993S TT for that matter, Viper, and the forthcoming 997 TT. The CGT is the only factory Porsche that will take a stock C6ZO6 (modified ZO6 would be a different story).

The argument means little to me since the point will be moot once we start seeing stock, or even slightly modified, 997 TT'S being beaten on the road by stock, god-forbid slightly modified, C6ZO6'S . . . I'd STILL take the 997TT over the SuperVette in a heartbeat

And I'm proving it since some 996 TT'S fall in the exact same price range as a C6ZO6.

Note: all of the above is considering driver-skill being equal.

Last edited by the Dragon; 03-27-2006 at 06:46 AM.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:36 AM
tblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond repute
Okay. What about Ditka pushing a GT2, with mods

Versus

Satan himself in a 2006 Z06?

DITKA!!!

Old 03-27-2006, 10:17 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PorscheC4
Here you go. The 997TT is going to be faster than the z06. The 911 turbo is a premier exotic as opposed to a cheap, domestic. Well truly see what the 0-60 and 1/4 mile and all the stats are when the turbo is officially out in the hands of the public. As far as the 2nd gen gt2, heres on for u. GT2 with a GIAC chip and evo intake ran an 11.750 @126. Just a little more on the GT2 but it weighs about 3300 lbs which is 200 lbs or so heavier than the z06 and with those two upgrades probably puts it easily over 500 hp. And one more thing, many people have been dynoing their z06s at about 490 to the wheel which tells it has more hp than they claim, mor ein the range of 550. From a roll, the GT2 is more than likely going to pull on a z06. throw radials on there and ur probably down to 11.3-11.5 at around 129-130 or so. Also, another thing ur forgetting is the 997 GT3 which is going to probably be faster than a z06 as well. Porsche is the best of all worlds.

just curious, where have you seen 490 to the wheels on a stock Z06

Seems the avg is 430-450, which is identical to what the owners of this board have laid down w/ their stock GT2's

Old 03-27-2006, 10:47 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
I agree with most: the C6Zo6 will beat a K-24 996TT even when
ECU tuned, although it would be close enough to be interesting.
If you want to beat a C6 Zo6 using a 996TT as a platform; it will
take larger than stock K-24's and corresponding mods to support these
large turbos. Here are some examples (IMHO):
PSI 550 (K24/K26+)
Ruf 550 Nardo
GT700 GIAC
Protomotive "base package" using K-24 hybrids (mitusbishi)
Now you have some power to play with but due to weight disadvantage
it still will not be easy!
More power to us all!!
Marty K

Old 03-27-2006, 10:55 AM
KJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond repute
err.. I've always thought and read in every mag. that a Viper will barely beat a C6 Z06.. not the other way around. The hp and torque numbers show clear advantage to the Viper, even if it's a very small one.

I'd still choose a Viper instead of the Z06.. at least it's still a unique Viper and faster.. unlike a Z06 which everyone thinks is just a Vette.

Now the blue devil, that's a different story lol.

Old 03-27-2006, 10:58 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
A stage 3 k24 based turbo and up will be an equal match..... the vette is lighter so we need more HP per pound to make up the difference.

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 03-27-2006, 11:53 AM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Lets just face it, Z06 is one hell of a car. But we love our Porsches and nothing is going to change that....

Old 03-27-2006, 12:07 PM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by the Dragon
A C6ZO6 will prison-rape a modified 996TT

Here kitty kitty.

Craig

Old 03-27-2006, 12:09 PM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vincentdds
Lets just face it, Z06 is one hell of a car. But we love our Porsches and nothing is going to change that....
Amen brutha!!!!! Regardless of what mods are necessary to make one faster than the other, there is no denying that the C6ZO6 is a tremendous car and an incredible value!!!!

Craig

Old 03-27-2006, 12:21 PM
Happy Now?
Rave TT is a jewel in the roughRave TT is a jewel in the roughRave TT is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by variable
No 996 turbo produced for '06... If you mean an '05 like Luis said, the ZO6 would be faster, at least on paper.
It's faster in real life to, my friend in an 05 TurboS got whooped by the new Z06.

Old 03-27-2006, 12:27 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by HotRodGuy
just curious, where have you seen 490 to the wheels on a stock Z06
Agreed with HotRodGuy's dubiousness. 490rwhp on a C6ZO6 stock is an impossibility.

Someone was surfing the web and saw the LG post about a header/exhaust/no-cats C6ZO6.

Old 03-27-2006, 12:35 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by Craig

Here kitty kitty.

Craig

Hmm . . . obviously you wanna go the modified-for-modified route

I only mentioned it would take a mildly modified Turbo Porsche to keep up with a STOCK C6ZO6 . . . or maaaybe beat one

I'd put BIG money against your car racing a MODIFIED C6ZO6

Again, I'm no Corvette fan but I AM a realist.

With just Headers a cam and a 150 shot of spray (roughly ~$2500 in mods) a C6ZO6 UNTUNED will lay close to 750 horsepower to the rear wheels

I won't even TOUCH on what these monsters do with blowers/turbos . . .

The LS-based motor is a marvel of horsepower engineering. And I give respect where it's due.

Old 03-27-2006, 12:41 PM
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by KJM3SMG
err.. I've always thought and read in every mag. that a Viper will barely beat a C6 Z06.. not the other way around. The hp and torque numbers show clear advantage to the Viper, even if it's a very small one.
Incorrect.

One of the Mags, Car&Driver or Road&Track, dyno'd the Viper, C6ZO6, and the Ford GT.

The Viper and C6Z had very similar horsepower to the wheels to be almost negligible and the Viper did not have much more in torque.

Factor in a Viper's HORRIBLE, compared to the ZO6, gearing for acceleration (not to mention ~300lb. weight disadvantage) and you see why the C6Z traps higher and E.T.'S lower than the Viper consistently given equal drivers.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2006 Turbo S vs 2006 Z06