996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

2006 Turbo S vs 2006 Z06

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 12:44 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by the Dragon

I'd put BIG money against your car racing a MODIFIED C6ZO6

Again, I'm no Corvette fan but I AM a realist.

Old 03-27-2006, 12:44 PM
Ruiner is on a distinguished road
Factor in a Viper's HORRIBLE, compared to the ZO6, gearing for acceleration (not to mention ~300lb. weight disadvantage) and you see why the C6Z traps higher and E.T.'S lower than the Viper consistently given equal drivers.
Bingo, which is why the video that I posted had the results that it did, even with the Viper having the advantage of an exhaust.

Old 03-27-2006, 12:46 PM

With just Headers a cam and a 150 shot of spray (roughly ~$2500 in mods) a C6ZO6 UNTUNED will lay close to 750 horsepower to the rear wheels

I won't even TOUCH on what these monsters do with blowers/turbos . . .
I know which Vette you speak of. That thing is sick. A TT setup or similar blower will be insane. Even the C5 Z06 with forced induction is a sick ride.

Old 03-27-2006, 01:00 PM
the Dragon is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Ruiner
I know which Vette you speak of. That thing is sick. A TT setup or similar blower will be insane. Even the C5 Z06 with forced induction is a sick ride.
Agreed.

This is why all my friend's are REAMING ME OUT for not getting one But I want a 996TT

I'll always have my other car if I wanna go really fast

Speed is relative . . . what's one man's fast is another man's slow . . . or veeery slow

Old 03-27-2006, 01:13 PM
Agreed.

This is why all my friend's are REAMING ME OUT for not getting one But I want a 996TT

I'll always have my other car if I wanna go really fast

Speed is relative . . . what's one man's fast is another man's slow . . . or veeery slow
Speed is relative. There is always someone faster. One of my good friends puts down over 1000rwhp in his MKIV Supra turbo that he basically drives around daily and that is on boost alone.

The 996TT, however, has a heart and soul. It is faster than 99% of the cars on the road and brings forth a mystique that only a 911 turbo can. There is more to just "speed" when I buy my cars. I can always build an insanely fast car for cheap, but I will lose out in all the other things that make the 911 turbo what it is today.

Old 03-27-2006, 04:27 PM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
A C6ZO6 will prison-rape a modified 996TT
I only mentioned it would take a mildly modified Turbo Porsche to keep up with a STOCK C6ZO6 . . . or maaaybe beat one

So which is it? Will a modified 996TT get "prision raped" by a stock C6ZO6, or will it "keep up" or "maaaybe beat one"? The answer, of course, depends on the extent of the modifications.

I'd put BIG money against your car racing a MODIFIED C6ZO6. Again, I'm no Corvette fan but I AM a realist.

With just Headers a cam and a 150 shot of spray (roughly ~$2500 in mods) a C6ZO6 UNTUNED will lay close to 750 horsepower to the rear wheels
It is undeniable that a C6ZO6 can be made faster than any 996TT -- there is simply no replacement for displacement. That being said, I would relish the opportunity to run a C6ZO6 with the above described mods (regardless of who prevails, and I am not making any predictions).

Craig

Old 03-27-2006, 06:01 PM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
Originally Posted by Ruiner
Now the question is this: Is the new 997TT faster than the 2nd gen GT2 on the 'ring with stock, factory tires?
Yes. The 6-speed with LSD has run 7:42.

Old 03-27-2006, 06:07 PM
Josh is a jewel in the roughJosh is a jewel in the roughJosh is a jewel in the roughJosh is a jewel in the rough
I think the real question is, why does anyone here really care how well the Vette performs? It is nice to casually compare numbers, but be realistic.
I don't drive through the trailer park and look into the windows to see who has a nicer TV than me. Let's not adopt that rationale here.

Old 03-27-2006, 06:32 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
I am sure that when the 997 TT comes out it will be faster than the z06. but you cannot put a price on the better ride feel, quality and handling that only a turbo or a lambo can provide with their AWD systems. The funny thing is that both the owners of manual and tip 997TT will be able to say they are faster. Funny thing that people with tips are gonna be able to say they are faster. A lot of what you are all forgetting, or at least did not mention is that Porsche factory numbers are conservative. I sure hope they are this time as well. Only time will tell though. How about you ask someone with a mildly modded z06 to race VRalexanders car. Talk about a prison raping X100,000. His car will absolutely put the z06 to shame. But then again most cars wont keep up with his modded or not. Just wait for the 997 GT3 and the 997 GT2 if it comes out (which it probably will).

Old 03-27-2006, 06:35 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Dock (Atlanta)
Yes. The 6-speed with LSD has run 7:42.
The 2nd gen GT2 ran a 7.42 at the 'ring' as well. Heres the link, check it out...scroll to the bottom of the page,

http://www.motortrend.com/features/c...ck/index1.html

Not to mention the GT2 was on stock tires, and if you have read the article, the z06 was far from stock. we are talking drag radials for its time as well as modded suspension to mention a few. it was far from stock setup. inferior car at the ring and the street as far as I see it, ABSOLUTELY.

Old 03-27-2006, 06:37 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PorscheC4
997 GT2 if it comes out (which it probably will).
Do you have a good source telling you this or is it a dealer filling your head with empty hopes like everybody else? IF it comes out, (which it probably won't) We will not see it here in the states.

Old 03-27-2006, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by LUIS95993
Do you have a good source telling you this or is it a dealer filling your head with empty hopes like everybody else? IF it comes out, (which it probably won't) We will not see it here in the states.
Mostly just he said she said, but from pretty reliable sources that would have a good idea of the actuality of its production.

Old 03-27-2006, 06:51 PM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
Originally Posted by PorscheC4
The 2nd gen GT2 ran a 7.42 at the 'ring' as well....Not to mention the GT2 was on stock tires, and if you have read the article, the z06 was far from stock.
Porsche has not announced what the OEM tires will be for the 997 Turbo, only that they will be..."DOT legal race tires". Word is that Walter is faster then 7:42.

Although I didn't mention the C6Z's time in my post, I'm on record here questioning if the C6Z was on stock tires when it posted it's 7:42.9 run. Motor Trend's comments certainly beg the question.

Old 03-27-2006, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by Dock (Atlanta)
Porsche has not announced what the OEM tires will be for the 997 Turbo, only that they will be..."DOT legal race tires". Word is that Walter is faster then 7:42.

Although I didn't mention the C6Z's time in my post, I'm on record here questioning if the C6Z was on stock tires when it posted it's 7:42.9 run. Motor Trend's comments certainly beg the question.
I MOST CERTAINLY AGREE WITH U. I COULDNT AGREE MORE. the z06 was not even close to a stock setup. definately a tuned suspension and drags, probably more. i also heard that they are very unstable or shaky when the speed gets higher. the turbo is gonna be sick on the ring. anyone see that walter ran a 7.28 in the carrera gt making its margin greater over other cars.

Old 03-27-2006, 07:23 PM
BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Josh
I think the real question is, why does anyone here really care how well the Vette performs? It is nice to casually compare numbers, but be realistic.
I don't drive through the trailer park and look into the windows to see who has a nicer TV than me. Let's not adopt that rationale here.
Well said.

Bottom line is a vette is a vette and a Porsche will always be a Porsche.
I dont think the vette was stock when it ran the ring, it's suspension was dittled with and there was "talk" of not regular street tires.
Either way does it really matter to Porsche lovers, no. At least not to me, I would rather look into my garage and see my GT2 than a vette anyday no matter how well it performs. And I really would like to see a modded vette take on Craigs monster or Markski's beast when its done.

Bajo

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2006 Turbo S vs 2006 Z06