996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

FabSpeed "Cones"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 05:57 PM
sld7 is infamous around these parts
FabSpeed "Cones"

Has anyone tried the "Cones" yet?

The Resonance makes talking on the phone impossible.

Old 12-17-2003, 06:00 PM
msindi is infamous around these parts
I heard they are not a great solution...They also need to be welded on and are somewhat restrictive offsetting some of the gain in HP provided by the Fabspeed

Old 12-17-2003, 06:05 PM
Its hard to believe that some of us spend $3,500 on an exhaust and $125,000 on a car and when you put the two together you can't talk on a cell phone.

Life is crazy.....

Old 12-17-2003, 06:12 PM
LOL - its not life but rather mod prices for these things...

Old 12-17-2003, 06:17 PM
JASCLASS is infamous around these partsJASCLASS is infamous around these parts
I havent heard of anyone that has tried the cones out, what are the details on them?

Old 12-17-2003, 06:56 PM
SteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud of
Originally posted by sld7
Its hard to believe that some of us spend $3,500 on an exhaust and $125,000 on a car and when you put the two together you can't talk on a cell phone.

Life is crazy.....
there are tradeoffs to every mod, that happens to be one. Get a europipe if you don't want resonance. Honestly it's your fault, not the car or exhaust manufacturer.

-Steve

Old 12-17-2003, 07:52 PM
I heard the Europipe has resonance as well, no?

Old 12-18-2003, 01:48 PM
racer63 is infamous around these parts
The cones help. I'm still trying to subjectively evaluate just how much. We first put them in after the cat, pointing toward the muffler. That made some difference, but primarily at higher RPMs and under greater load. Strangely it was quieter at WOT than at say partial throttle at 2.5K. So, it didn't quite do what I had hoped (which was to reduce the resonance to an acceptable level).

We then moved the cones to just after the muffler, pointing toward the muffler (the tip facing the exhaust flow, which is more consistent with the manufacturer's instructions). The theory (kudos to Todd Z.) is that we're trying to slow the flow just slightly as it comes out of the muffler. The results so far are promising in the drive from EVO to my office. But, I need to drive it a little more to give it the thumbs up, sideways or down. Right now, I'm tending toward up.

By the way, the manufacturer of the cones is not Fabspeed. I kept the box, I think it's outside in the car. So I can post the manufacturer's name soon. The cones are designed for racing cars and are intended to reduce sound volume by 2-3 db (say to just meet a track's sound requirement) with the least amount of backpressure. The area of the openings on the cone is actually greater than the area represented by the 2.5" diameter of the exhaust pipe. So, it makes some sense that it should not impede flow too adversely. Clearly it will rob less HP than the cats do.

Finally, on the way to work the noise from the rear tires bothered me (for the first time)... which could mean that the cones are working. So, I'm thinking cones with some sound deadening material in the cabin just might do the trick for old guys like me, or gearheads with carphones like sld7.

P.S. I normally don't use the cell phone when driving. But, three weeks ago I ran an enduro and needed a quick and dirty way to talk with the pits. So, beleive it or not, we taped my cell phone to the roll cage, taped my headset within the helmet, and the crew chief called me just before I headed out on the track. It worked amazingly well! Glad I have nights and weekends...

Last edited by racer63; 12-18-2003 at 02:03 PM.
Old 12-18-2003, 03:51 PM
TSP-MIAMI is infamous around these parts
I had the cones installed for a client in Texas. They definately work. Joe and I spoke about some HP loss, and of course there will be some. Anytime there is restriction of airflow on any turbo car , HP is affected.

Theo

Old 12-18-2003, 05:16 PM
Racer is there still Resonance?

Old 12-18-2003, 05:30 PM
AWD
AWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud of
I had the cones on my car for a few weeks. The sound is great, love hearing the spool of the turbo's, but can't hold a conversation in the car at all, no matter what rpm.
I now dedicate them for track days only....

Old 12-18-2003, 05:47 PM
I am guessing AWD has the Fabspeed Loud. With the quiet + cones, you can hold a cell phone conversation (at least in my car).

There is still some resonance. But, I'm trying to assess how much. My ears are so atuned to the resonance, I can hear it through the factory muffler. So, it's a matter of degree. I'll listen to it some more over the next few days, and maybe even ride in a car with a stock exhaust for comparison. I think Todd has an unmodified turbo at his shop right now. Maybe he'd let me take it for a spin back-to-back to refresh my memory.

Old 12-18-2003, 05:50 PM
Racer did you dyno the car after the cones were installed? Do you think you lost power?

By the way, if you ears are not ready to burst between 2300-2800 rpms then the resonance is gone.

Old 12-18-2003, 05:57 PM
They're no longer ready to burst!

We have not dyno'd it yet. Todd used to dyno cars at a shop down the street. When the shop moved, he bought the dyno to install at his new place. But, that won't be until Jan.

Honestly, I'm not sure I trust anyone else with my car... so I'll wait.

Old 12-18-2003, 11:55 PM
So the question is should I get these??
Also, Donn - did you manage to find that box with manufacturer name, etc...? Any pics of the product and/or install?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.