996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

AX22 Arrived Today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 04:35 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
GPS based.
MK
Hey - now that's cool! Gald I bought 1!

Old 05-20-2006, 04:54 PM
Chuck_H will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Bill S.
Let's see some 60 to 130 times! Can you break 8 seconds?
When timing such a run do people get a running start or cruise at 60 then go?

Old 05-20-2006, 05:10 PM
Porscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by powder
When timing such a run do people get a running start or cruise at 60 then go?
Running start.

Begin around 40 MPH and go to about 150 MPH.
Then you analyze the data from 60 to 130

Old 05-20-2006, 09:23 PM
Bill S. is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Porscheboy16
Running start.

Begin around 40 MPH and go to about 150 MPH.
Then you analyze the data from 60 to 130
Exactly. And try different starting gears to see which is faster, like 2nd or 3rd.

Old 05-23-2006, 05:46 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Craig,
Mine arrive today!! thanks.
And like you, my car is in shop (except I am getting
new suspension)
Cant wait to play!!
MK

Old 05-29-2006, 09:03 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Got my AX-22:
problem...I do not have the slightest idea how to even power it up???
It does not come with (1) printed word on directions or set-up: Nothing ???

somebody who knows how this very, very well made device hooks up
in my car (first time from fresh packaging to getting me set-up).
please call me (I will not be using my pm for the rest of the weekend)

Marty K
612-247-2270
952-443-0100 (home)

thanks in advance.

Old 05-29-2006, 09:33 AM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Marty, everything is on the supplied CD or their website. To power it up you simply plug adapter to your lighter socket and then plug the other side (the little orange multi-pin) to the back of the unit.

From the Help icon in the software:

Power Supply And Earthing

Powering the AX22/DL90/DL1/DL2
The AX22/DL90/DL1/DL2 units are supplied with a power lead for connection to a standard car cigarette lighter socket, with the centre pin connected to +12v and the outer of the connector connected to vehicle ground. If appropriate (typically on a road car), this can be simply attached to a cigar lighter type connector and the lead plugged into the unit to power it, however in many cases it may be more appropriate to either permanently power the device from the vehicle loom or power the system from a separate battery, details of how to do this are below.
The power plug used to power the DL90 and AX22 is a "2.5mm short connector".

Permanently wiring into the vehicle
If the DL90/DL1/AX22 is to be wired directly into the engine wiring loom, rather than using the cigarette lighter socket, a fused supply must be used, with a fuse rating of no more than 1 amp. It is also highly recommended that the unit has it's own external power switch so it can be easily turned off. We also recommend that the DL90/DL1/AX22 power supply is isolated from the power supply when the car is being cranked over and only turned on when the engine is running. It is possible that leaving the DL90/DL1/AX22 turned on during cranking may corrupt the data in the logger.
Also please note that in all cases the GPS receiver is powered on whenever there is power to the main unit - it does not turn on and off with the main unit, so if the DL1/DL90/AX22 is left connected to the battery it will flatten it.

Last edited by Jean; 05-29-2006 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:17 PM
VRAlexander
Originally Posted by Jean
To power it up you simply plug adapter to your lighter socket and then plug the other side (the little orange multi-pin) to the back of the unit.
But make CERTAIN THAT YOU LIGHTER SOCKET WORKS!!! We (Chris Chow, Birdman and myself) went to test and tune on friday to run the 95 Camaro (from PINKS). I was all excited to use the AX-22..Then when I pugged the unit into the lighter plug...pooof -short- no power...I replaced the fuse and poof again . So no datalogging! Sorry guys...I will try again next week...
On the other side of the coin...the Camaro ran back to back 9.90's at 138mph ON THE MOTOR (no NOS)Attachment 34354 !! I am very happy...the car was a carewalk to drive...The front end pulled of the ground about 12-18 inches on the launch and then straight as an arrow...The SB2 394CID motor loves to rev to 10K...I will set the NOS to a 275 shot and run the car with NOS in about a week...I will post the video next week for you guys to see...
Attachment 34355
This is a previous picture that Miller Racing took when they ran the car..

Last edited by VRAlexander; 09-20-2006 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:20 AM
JETJOX is on a distinguished road
Unfortunately, I believe our ax22 will not be accurate in a car that leave the line real hard. After reading the instructions I noticed that ours have a maximum reading of 2g's. There is a 10g option though. A drag car or a really fast Porsche launched hard enough can max that out even though it's only for a second. It will still effect the accuracy of the unit in my opinion. Also it will not take into effect the roll out at the starting line which can vary. However in all other areas of performance it should be dead on. I hope I'm wrong about the 1/4 mile though.

Joe R

Old 05-30-2006, 01:48 AM
ebaker is on a distinguished road
Maybe the GPS software will compensate for the 2 G limitation.

Old 05-30-2006, 05:35 AM
VRAlexander
One way to find out

Old 05-30-2006, 06:49 AM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JETJOX
Unfortunately, I believe our ax22 will not be accurate in a car that leave the line real hard. After reading the instructions I noticed that ours have a maximum reading of 2g's. There is a 10g option though. A drag car or a really fast Porsche launched hard enough can max that out even though it's only for a second. It will still effect the accuracy of the unit in my opinion. Also it will not take into effect the roll out at the starting line which can vary. However in all other areas of performance it should be dead on. I hope I'm wrong about the 1/4 mile though.

Joe R
Joe, not every Porsche does 1.4sec in the 60ft or runs 9s in the quarter
Nice 3 page article about your car on Total 911 Magazine!

I don't know how the AX will react to this but I would guess that the GPS (per Ebaker) will still give you the right time vs. speed vs. distance measurements even if the accelerometers are fooled. It would be interesting to know what sort of Gs these cars pull from a stop on a drag strip.

Alex, it is the Porsche we would like to see, I am sure it has a lighter socket?

Old 05-30-2006, 09:04 AM
Bill S. is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JETJOX

Joe R
Doesn't matter. The initial premise was to only compare 60 to 130 times. If you use the ax22 for 1/4-mile times it's useless. Too many launch variables.

Has anyone seen 60 to 130 faster than 8 seconds?

Old 05-30-2006, 10:30 AM
Porscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by VRAlexander
But make CERTAIN THAT YOU LIGHTER SOCKET WORKS!!! We (Chris Chow, Birdman and myself) went to test and tune on friday to run the 95 Camaro (from PINKS). I was all excited to use the AX-22..Then when I pugged the unit into the lighter plug...pooof -short- no power...I replaced the fuse and poof again . So no datalogging! Sorry guys...I will try again next week...
On the other side of the coin...the Camaro ran back to back 9.90's at 138mph ON THE MOTOR (no NOS)Attachment 34354 !! I am very happy...the car was a carewalk to drive...The front end pulled of the ground about 12-18 inches on the launch and then straight as an arrow...The SB2 394CID motor loves to rev to 10K...I will set the NOS to a 275 shot and run the car with NOS in about a week...I will post the video next week for you guys to see...
Attachment 34355
This is a previous picture that Miller Racing took when they ran the car..
Too bad. I can't wait to see the vids.

Old 05-30-2006, 02:58 PM
VRAlexander
Originally Posted by Jean
Alex, it is the Porsche we would like to see, I am sure it has a lighter socket?
Troublemaker!

Yes the Porsche has a lighter socket, however it is being used.......BY THE LIGHTER!!!