996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Seating position-more room needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 06:19 PM
manalex is on a distinguished road
Seating position-more room needed

Just signed on after spending many hours reading the various posts-excellent forum.

I've been shopping for a 2001-2002 996Turbo-I'm a virgin, this will be my first. Test drove a couple of cars and confirmed this is exactly what I've always wanted. However, I'm 6'5" and was wondering if the seat/seat brackets can be modified to sit back a few more inches. I assume that the modification will require removal of the rear seat-no big loss there, provided I can do something that makes it look as if there was no rear seat there to begin with.

I know there are tall Porsche owners out there that have successfully dealt with this issue without resorting to amputation.

Thank you for your responses in advance.

Old 07-28-2006, 03:29 PM
Anyone help?

Old 07-28-2006, 03:41 PM
stuka will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by manalex
Anyone help?
1. Look for manual seats, they are lower. Also, they allow you to slide the seat all the way back before getting out, so you don't rub the side bolster and mess up the leather.

2. There is a Porsche factory option that lower the seat even further, I can't remember the part number, but any dealer that does a lot of parts order like Sunset can help.

3. The most obvious, get one without sunroof if you can find one.

Beyond that, there isn't much you can do that won't sacrifice a lot of comfort.

4. Most radical, GT3 seats without the cushion and with lower braket. This will put you very low to the floor. But the GT3 seats are not the most comforable in the world since it is one piece non adjustable. I do have them though.

It's too bad I didn't see your post earlier, I had a SY Turbo with manual seats for sale...

Old 07-28-2006, 03:50 PM
brnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant future
I'm 6'6" and can't fit in the 996. Fit in the 997 cab, not coupe. Have a turbo cab on order, will be my first Porsche, very excited as I could never fit in any of the old ones.

Old 07-28-2006, 03:50 PM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
Get a GT3 Seat

with a RUF lower seating bracket and you will be a happy man Richard (6,6")

Old 07-28-2006, 03:54 PM
stuka will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by brnsrgn
I'm 6'6" and can't fit in the 996. Fit in the 997 cab, not coupe. Have a turbo cab on order, will be my first Porsche, very excited as I could never fit in any of the old ones.
The more important data is torso length.

You can be 6'6" and have a 36" or 38" inseam, and fitting in a Turbo is no big deal.

You can be like me, 6'2" with 32" inseam, it was a snug fit. And I only weigh 185.

Old 07-28-2006, 04:28 PM
Me_qwkr will become famous soon enough
GOT THE ANSWEr... Now joke my boy did a car for some basketball player...

PM me for details...

Old 07-28-2006, 08:27 PM
Me-qwkr sent the PM-any help would be appreciated.

Sat in the 997 coupe and it was tight, but I could work with it. Biggest difference was the tilt wheel. On the 996 the adjustment is simply in and out. On the 997 it was both in and out as well as up and down-that helped a lot.

Also, and a far less attractive alternative, tiptronic helps too since I don't need the clutch action.

The lower seat option seems like a great place to start.

Inseam 35 inches.

Old 07-28-2006, 08:50 PM
brnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant future
Sunroofs kill headroom. Cabs give about a 1" more than coupes sans sunroof, probably 2-3" comparing cabs to coupe with sunroof. Cab with top down really gives a fair amount of headroom.

Old 07-28-2006, 09:34 PM
Headroom is okay, it's the knees, so even a cab is not working.

RichardCh, do you have a part no. Went to the RUF site and couldn't locate the bracket.

Thanks

Old 07-29-2006, 01:49 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Fist of all Manalex, your new nickname is "Manimal".

I know that porsche did offer a "lower" seat as an option. Porsche tries very hard to fit big people simply because they have solid client base among pro athletes.

Try a smaller diameter steering wheel as well. It will give you another 1/2 inch.

Old 07-29-2006, 09:54 AM
Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !
adaptive sport seats

Are the 997 Adaptive Sport Seats as tight as the regular sport seats or are they more "adaptable" to wider bodies. The regular sport seat is not comfortable for me. I understand the side bolsters are adjustable on the adaptable seats. I am considering a 997 GT3 with adaptable sport seats but need a seat that works with a wider torso.

Old 07-29-2006, 03:08 PM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
I have a 36 " inseam, look on the RUF website you will find the GT3 Recaro seat adaptor bracket