996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Stock boost vs. Chipped boost on an X50 911T, problem?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 05:43 PM
achilles99 will become famous soon enough
Stock boost vs. Chipped boost on an X50 911T, problem?

I just bought a 911T w/ the X50 package. I was running .9bar STOCK, or what I thought was stock. I took it in to an Upsolute distributor, who read the map and said that it didn't appear to be a modified program. So, I purchased an Upsolute mod, which should have been good up to 1.1 bar (in addition to different timing, injector quantity, etc.).

I got the car back, and I'm still hitting .9bar. Low-end torque MIGHT be a little better (I can't tell if I'm spooling up faster, or if my mind is playing tricks on me). It was suggested that I change out the stock diverter valves and put in the aftermarket ones.

Question: Would the diverter valves be the problem? The stock ones aren't making noise at all, so I think they are fine. It feels as though the boost is being electronically controlled as opposed to mechanically.

Any ideas on what is going on? I'd rather this not turn into a bashing of Upsolute, because I've had nothing but good service from them. Have others with the Upsolute chip experienced at least 1.1 bar?

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-11-2006, 05:57 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by achilles99
I just bought a 911T w/ the X50 package. I was running .9bar STOCK, or what I thought was stock. I took it in to an Upsolute distributor, who read the map and said that it didn't appear to be a modified program. So, I purchased an Upsolute mod, which should have been good up to 1.1 bar (in addition to different timing, injector quantity, etc.).

I got the car back, and I'm still hitting .9bar. Low-end torque MIGHT be a little better (I can't tell if I'm spooling up faster, or if my mind is playing tricks on me). It was suggested that I change out the stock diverter valves and put in the aftermarket ones.

Question: Would the diverter valves be the problem? The stock ones aren't making noise at all, so I think they are fine. It feels as though the boost is being electronically controlled as opposed to mechanically.

Any ideas on what is going on? I'd rather this not turn into a bashing of Upsolute, because I've had nothing but good service from them. Have others with the Upsolute chip experienced at least 1.1 bar?

Thanks in advance!
Im almost certain you will notice a huge difference with new diverter valve's, that's IF your's are currentlys hot. I remember a recent post of a guy with a slightly modded turbo, and he said it was a night/day difference with power delivery and everything!

Weird though, your car could have been flashed already!

Old 08-11-2006, 06:05 PM
Is there an easy way to see if they are shot? I don't mind buying new ones, but I certainly don't want to just for the heck of it...

Old 08-11-2006, 06:12 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Is there an easy way to see if they are shot? I don't mind buying new ones, but I certainly don't want to just for the heck of it...
I understand. Check out these link's and see if you hear any of these symptoms!!

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=54578 (A guy who got new DV's and his impressions)

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=55055

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=54811

Old 08-11-2006, 06:31 PM
paneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to behold
put the car on a hill in 3rd or 4th gear then go WOT and check the boost reading. The dash gauge is not that accurate. You should notice a big difference from a stock X50 to a "chipped" one.

Old 08-12-2006, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by iLLM3
I understand. Check out these link's and see if you hear any of these symptoms!!

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=54578 (A guy who got new DV's and his impressions)

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=55055

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=54811
Thanks for the links... I get none of the above symptoms. I may just change out the DV's anyhow, my Upsolute dealer recommended HX compact dv's, since they look factory. Any experiences with that one?

Old 08-12-2006, 10:41 AM
mikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for the links... I get none of the above symptoms. I may just change out the DV's anyhow, my Upsolute dealer recommended HX compact dv's, since they look factory. Any experiences with that one?
The dealer changed mine with the factory Bosch units without my consent and I changed them for the EVO DV`s and I noticed a big difference! The factory one`s suck. Stick with Baileys or EVO`s. When I say big difference, I mean I was holding a tenth of a bar more on sustained boost, and pulling .9 bar peak spike on K 16`s. My car never did that before!

Old 08-12-2006, 11:04 AM
I was holding .9 bar boost stock... hmmm, maybe I should have left well enough alone But, I'm too curious now what the problem may be. I guess I'll just change out the diverter valves, and see if that nets me any gains. Thanks guys!

Old 08-12-2006, 12:12 PM
I was holding .9 bar boost stock... hmmm, maybe I should have left well enough alone But, I'm too curious now what the problem may be. I guess I'll just change out the diverter valves, and see if that nets me any gains. Thanks guys!
Honestly, the way i see it is to just get it over with, if you start modding or even eventually they will start to go, goodluck and post your impressions!

Old 08-12-2006, 01:14 PM
Yep, that's probably exactly what I'll do... after all, once my Upsolute dealer puts in the new diverters to "test" and see if my old ones were restricting the program, there is no way that I'll take them out

Old 08-17-2006, 09:49 PM
UPDATE:

I put new billet aluminum diverter valves in. No change, I'm still holding steady at 0.9 bar when I should be holding at 1.2-1.3.

Any ideas? I checked for leaks, and there doesn't appear to be any. Thanks!

Old 08-17-2006, 10:30 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Just run a set of upgraded wastegates. I put these in just about everything. Well worth the money.

Old 08-17-2006, 10:34 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
need to talk with the upsolute guy. I think you should notice a big difference after the flash. I am not an upsolute expert but I would want to be at 1.1-1.2 bars. that being said I have to throw in the fact that I feel these cars once the mods start should have the diverters upgraded and change to silicone boost hoses. I would also throw in upgraded waste gate springs. then you will safely see and feel and reep the benefits of further upgrades!

On an aside, I was "under the impression" that since the upsolute flash is more basic, it doesnt take into account other mods, and I wasnt aware (no expert) that it even differentiated between K-16 and K-24 turbos.

Last edited by tom kerr; 08-17-2006 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:11 PM
From what I was told by Upsolute, there are several versions of the software available for the 996 turbo, for both the K16 and K24's.

I didn't notice a huge difference when I added upgraded software, but to be honest I'm not sure if I was on a stock program to begin with! I'm going to work with the Upsolute rep to reinstall the stock program (which may actually be an upgraded program... I don't know because I bought the car used) and compare. Will keep everyone posted!

Old 11-29-2006, 07:13 PM
cpu77 is on a distinguished road
From what I was told by Upsolute, there are several versions of the software available for the 996 turbo, for both the K16 and K24's.

I didn't notice a huge difference when I added upgraded software, but to be honest I'm not sure if I was on a stock program to begin with! I'm going to work with the Upsolute rep to reinstall the stock program (which may actually be an upgraded program... I don't know because I bought the car used) and compare. Will keep everyone posted!
Did you ever get this sorted out?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stock boost vs. Chipped boost on an X50 911T, problem?