996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Oh no... I might have 2nd gear pop-out issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 02:37 PM
rcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud of
Oh no... I might have 2nd gear pop-out issue

Well....

Ive had my car for 3 weeks. its has 5,900 miles, X50 and is pristine. BUT it looks like Ive got the 2nd gear pop out issue. It happens when Im deaccelerating in 2nd gear on slight declines or even straightaways. Doesnt happen all the time though. I tried to replicate this before I bought the car but it didnt happen. I even had fairfieldcountymotorsports try to get it to pop out. nada. I love the car so Im guess Im gonna have to make an appointment for a Porsche dealer to look it over. This sucks. IF this is the case, any ideas how long it takes to fix or replace the tranny?

Old 09-22-2006, 03:17 PM
rwm514 will become famous soon enoughrwm514 will become famous soon enough
Sounds like you have it. Hopefully you have a warranty as it costs arond 7 to 10k usually. Probabaly takes 2 weeks or so.

Old 09-22-2006, 03:25 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
yes thats it... get to the dealer Asap so they do not blame u for it...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 09-22-2006, 05:55 PM
kunal has a spectacular aura aboutkunal has a spectacular aura aboutkunal has a spectacular aura about
I have been having the exact same problem. I took it in to the dealer once, and they couldn't reproduce the problem. They said it will get worse so then we can reproduce it. Took it in again yesterday and again they couldn't reproduce it. I left the dealership and it happened right away, then I drove around the block a few times happened 4 more times. Went back to the dealership and again they can't reproduce it.

Dealer said they will try again and will call PCNA to see what to do. I guess PCNA has to be able to reproduce it otherwise nothing will get done. Guess I will wait and see....

Old 09-22-2006, 10:31 PM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
Go for a drive with the tech in the car.

Old 09-22-2006, 10:57 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
had the same prob porsche replaced the trans 3days as i remember... had a b&m shifter and they did not even blink....they know the have a prob. good luck ....

Old 09-23-2006, 12:33 AM
JNRSM3 is a name known to allJNRSM3 is a name known to allJNRSM3 is a name known to allJNRSM3 is a name known to allJNRSM3 is a name known to allJNRSM3 is a name known to all
this scares me more than the RMS issue with the NA pcars.....

is it me or does it seem like everyone has an X50....and I thought I was just a tad bit unique LOL

Old 09-23-2006, 08:06 AM
FredinNY is on a distinguished road
Join the club!!!

I noticed the issue a few months ago and it progressively got worse. I have an '03 996 TT with 11K miles on it.

Brought it into the dealer on Monday of this week. They were able to reproduce and sure enough they are replacing the transmission. The actual work time is only a couple of days but it appears as though they have to check in with PCNA at various stages in the process which really slows things down. First the diagnosis, then they need approval to remove transmission. Once removed they take it apart and confirm that the 2nd gear sprockets are stripped and again wait for further approvals to move to the next step which is getting a new transmission and installing it.

Im told I might get the car back today or early next week - so plan for at least a week.

This is a well known issue. there is a TSO on the issue and the dealer should be well prepared to deal with.

Good luck and welcome to the club!

Old 09-23-2006, 08:32 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by FredinNY
Join the club!!!

This is a well known issue. there is a TSO on the issue and the dealer should be well prepared to deal with.

Good luck and welcome to the club!
I had mine replaced 3 years ago.... same problem...

However, PCNA tries to get the customer to may for at least half of the bill... so be careful... if ur not educated about the problem..and or if u have aftermarket bolt ons... the regional rep is sure to void the warranty... I know personally .. my good friend is the head foreman mechanic at my dealership.. so I know first hand...
good luck,
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 09-23-2006, 08:47 AM
Turbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to all
Just curious. I had my transmission replaced also. Can this happen to the new transmission? What did Porsche do different to the 2nd gear syncro?

Old 09-23-2006, 09:08 PM
Zlatko has a brilliant futureZlatko has a brilliant futureZlatko has a brilliant futureZlatko has a brilliant futureZlatko has a brilliant futureZlatko has a brilliant futureZlatko has a brilliant futureZlatko has a brilliant futureZlatko has a brilliant futureZlatko has a brilliant futureZlatko has a brilliant future
Hey guys, is this a common issue on the 996s?

Old 09-23-2006, 09:10 PM
Brian Haske will become famous soon enoughBrian Haske will become famous soon enough
any of you guys havin trouble live in the CA bay area?

Old 09-24-2006, 07:44 AM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
I had the problem only for about 2500 miles, which was 3 years ago, and it hasn't happened since. i was going to get around to bringing it in and then it dissappeared. When I had my final service visit pre regular warranty expiration, I mentioned it (new tech/new dealer) and he said the synchros probably just wore in. Since it hasn't been around and I now have PCNA-certified car, I'm not worried but I would have thought by now most of these cars would have either "repaired themselves" like mine or been fixed.

Old 09-24-2006, 08:33 AM
john revis is on a distinguished road
Anyone with a GT2 have this problem? I haven't looked at this thread until today, and I've never had it happen.

Old 09-24-2006, 10:31 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
X50 implies an 02+ car with a different transmission than standard. It's a GT2 unit (to go with GT2 engine).

I thought the second gear issues was limited to 01s with the standard issue transmission.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oh no... I might have 2nd gear pop-out issue