996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Suggestions For Front Rotor Replacement??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 08:47 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Question Suggestions For Front Rotor Replacement??

Ok, I am happy to report I have another part that has worn out so I have the opportunity to upgrade it!! As may come as a shock my front rotors are shot!
I love upgrading stuff and brakes are on the list to do (would love those big 15 inchers) but for now I must admit my brakes work great! So I am going to at least for now stay with the stock calipers.
I would like to if possible do better with the rotor?
Would like to go to a lighter floating rotor. Also any thoughts on slotted or dimpled vs cross drilled?? This would be for heavy duty track use mostly!
Also, does anyone have any experience, good or bad with the setup to "relocate" your stock caliper to use a 14 inch rotor?
Any suggestions would be great!!!
TIA
tom

Old 10-02-2006, 09:09 PM
justdumb will become famous soon enough
I know you don't want new calipers, but I have to ask............

Anyone know if it'd be possible to run 350mm 997 Turbo rotors up front with 6 piston calipers, i.e. a brake upgrade with all factory parts?

EDIT: Perfect Power has larger floating rotor that uses the stock calipers, don't know how well it works?

http://www.perfectpowerinc.com/sales_por_brak.html

Last edited by justdumb; 10-02-2006 at 09:14 PM.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:12 PM
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
I found a bunch of different rotor options while reading Excellence. There are some 2-piece slotted rotors that would rock on a race track. For performance, pad/fluid selection is more important than rotors. Best choice is to do all the above at one time.

It is possible to upgrade to larger brakes, but as mentioned in the first post, it usually requires relocating the caliper. Most upgrade kits include the relocation hardware (brackets, bolts, etc.).

I am a serious brake *****...

Old 10-02-2006, 11:27 PM
Highhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to behold
It's expensive but www.prostopperformance.com has a custom 2 piece rotor set for the stock calipers. Check them out. thanks

=Suman

Old 10-03-2006, 12:40 AM
BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !
Tom,

Get the GT2/3 6 pots and a set of the new 14" cross drilled cast rotors that are made by Brembo...I got mine from EVO, they are the cats meow. I get virtually no squeal from my Pagid oranges now.....and no warping at all. I am very very happy with my brakes now.

Old 10-03-2006, 01:37 AM
ebaker is on a distinguished road
Stock rotors aren't bad and the price is right.

Old 10-03-2006, 06:38 AM
kiko will become famous soon enough
The pronblem is that the fancy rotors cost 3 to 4 times than OEM but they "only" last twice as much so its better to just replace them now and then.

Old 10-03-2006, 09:01 AM
Highhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to behold
If you go for the 6 piston caliper set up DO NOT buy them from EVOMS. they are 2995 from Suncoast Porsche in Florida. Save yourself the 500 bucks and that will at least get you a new set of pads and stainless stell brake lines. Good luck

-SM

Heres suncoast's internet site

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?

If you call them tell Rick you spoke to Suman and hell take care of you.

Old 10-03-2006, 10:16 AM
t2_996420 will become famous soon enought2_996420 will become famous soon enough
Note also that if you upgrade the rotor size you may need to upgrade the rims/tires as well to accomodate the increased rotor size

Old 10-03-2006, 09:27 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
thanks guys for all the input. I will continue to do some research and see what the track guys are running this weekend! I'll let ya know what I find!

thanks again

tom

Old 10-03-2006, 10:48 PM
dtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud of
Tom,

Also know that w/ the prostopperformance rotors for stock calipers, the rear set will not accomodate the ability to use the emergency brake. They're expensive and I used prostop, I would just use the front rotors.

Old 10-04-2006, 09:21 AM
thanks, I'm checking them out!

Old 10-04-2006, 09:35 AM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ebaker
Stock rotors aren't bad and the price is right.
I agree. I have a spare set of fronts on my shelf that I got from Sunset for about 130$ a rotor. Hard to beat that price. I will just keep replacing with stock. Mine have lasted a surprisingly long time with about 800 total track miles this season. Spiderweb cracks all over but still within the Porsche guidlines concerning cracks. Kevin

Old 10-04-2006, 09:47 AM
KPG, looks like that makes the most sense.
F**K Highhats suggestion is the answer you are looking for and so far as my searching seems like the best upgrade for the money.

Old 10-04-2006, 10:01 AM
gneypiks will become famous soon enoughgneypiks will become famous soon enough
Been there,done that.On my 3rd set of oem rotors n that is after desperate searches for an alternate non-oem rotors.Oem are affordable n are decent if you take care of it on the track.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Suggestions For Front Rotor Replacement??