996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Project of the year!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 09:48 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Project of the year!

I thought I would share this project with you guys. Some of you will appreciate it in its full. If you have ever done an over all color change then you know what amount of work goes into a project like this.

We took this car, smashed front bumper, crappy installed rockers, pit holed tail and converted it to a wonderful car. We disassembled the entire car. Pull the windows, doors, new deck lid, new bumper, new seals and so on. We then painted the car since the owner had seen Paul Rubin's car. We matched it body wise with the exception of the wheel. The car was literally taken apart and we painted everything, jams, window jams, engine compartment, trunk and so on. Then it was wet sanded then polished. We still have some spots to touch up and make it perfect but it is undetectable it was ever silver. We also have added the GT2 tail, then upgraded it again to the CF GT wing.

We then did the mechanical: HP Clutch, he then upgraded from GT640, then to GT700 then added intercoolers, then added the center plenum, then wanted it converted to 2WD. We are trying to talk him into a suspension and roll bar since this will be more motor than chassis. He has lowering springs....Not good.

Some interior carbon bit and SS on the inside.

The list goes on. It is an extensive project that is first class. Unfortunately the owner doesn't really grasp that an overall like this an take some time especially when you get a deal on paint and it is done in the after hours. So 10 months later we are nearing an end and I thought I would share. It is a shame the original pics don't really show the **** poor shape the car was in and the paint work before hand. Some people should be shot.

A project like this is important to make assure all of the details are covered. In all I am happy with the out come and given time frame the quality of the job is first rate. In the end it is important to have it right, then quick...

Last edited by PorschePhd; 12-07-2006 at 09:58 PM.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:04 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute

Old 12-07-2006, 10:06 PM
Oh I forgot the TechArt spliter!! They ar enot in the pic though.

Old 12-07-2006, 10:14 PM
mkell has a spectacular aura aboutmkell has a spectacular aura aboutmkell has a spectacular aura about
Wow, looks really good! Great job on all of the work and time spent. It really shows your committment when you go above and beyond shop hours to get things done the right way! I'd love to see some pictures when it is complete and all cleaned up too. How much does a complete body repaint like this cost? Really beautiful color btw.

Old 12-07-2006, 10:19 PM
We did a lot of the tear down then a buddy of mine did it on the side and evenings when he could. To do the entire job base/clear and removing 24 dings, cleaning up all the pine holes and previous blunders 10K. The whole car was blocked between each layer of base the 4 layers of clear laid then wetsanded 2000 and foam pad and glaze. You can see the pic of the front bumper how flat the paint is.

Old 12-07-2006, 10:35 PM
cpu77 is infamous around these parts
Great JOB! Nice to see there are a few talented people left out there!

Old 12-07-2006, 10:43 PM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
looks good =) where are you located?

Old 12-07-2006, 10:44 PM
Thank you. My job was a hobby that got out of hand. I have restored more cars then I care to recall, however they all took much longer than 10 months!!

We are in Kansas City.

Old 12-07-2006, 11:07 PM
Phoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant future
Stephen,

Fabulous. Just fabulous.

Old 12-07-2006, 11:19 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Love the car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Miss the car!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-07-2006, 11:22 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
i hope to see some dyno numbers soon... and better yet I hope to drive it soon... 10 months I have been waiting... thanks for posting some fotos

Old 12-07-2006, 11:35 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Very cool Stephen! He needs to get some JIC's or some Motons in there.

Old 12-07-2006, 11:47 PM
I agree. And a freaking roll bar!!!

Old 12-07-2006, 11:55 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
That's amazing, Stephen. The car looks outstanding.

Old 12-08-2006, 08:17 AM
Phoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by robmd99
i hope to see some dyno numbers soon... and better yet I hope to drive it soon... 10 months I have been waiting... thanks for posting some fotos
It's a work of art.

Enjoy it in great health!

P.S. You should throw some GT3 seats in there while Stephen is still at it.

Those stockers are in horrible shape.

The TA front is an original, right?

Last edited by Phoenix; 12-08-2006 at 08:51 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Project of the year!