996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Weight Savings

Old 01-25-2007, 01:29 AM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Weight Savings

Hmm i'm thinking of

-gt3 wheels ? Are those lighter then the hollow TT wheels ? How much do these weight?
-battery, dry cell save about 5-10bls ?
-exhuast- save 20-25lbs ?
-driver on a diet --can take off an easy 15lbs
-Anywhere else ?

I do track the car, but it's also a daily driver ...so i want to keep it looking stock as possible without ripping things out at least not yet...

edit: please lets try to keeo the budget to a minimum...this guy typing behind this screen is in college... LOL don't want his bank account dissapearing ( as it isnt already however)

Old 01-25-2007, 01:36 AM
SallyMobile is a jewel in the roughSallyMobile is a jewel in the roughSallyMobile is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by f1crazydriver
-battery, dry cell save about 5-10bls ?
Depending on model, might be 37lbs worth of savings.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=66142

Stock battery is 52 lbs.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:40 AM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SallyMobile
Depending on model, might be 37lbs worth of savings.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=66142

Stock battery is 52 lbs.
holy smokes are you for real ?!

any more details in where to get one of those? any cons with getting one ?

Old 01-25-2007, 01:40 AM
notquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud of
Exhaust(20-25lbs) and gt3(30-35lbs) seats seems to be the largest weight savings for the work. Battery can save you anywhere from 15-25 lbs in general. Not sure if there are any negative side affects tho.

My personal vote would go towards wheels. You should look @ kinesis F110 / Rennworx / BBS (@ <20lbs a piece) versus the stock wheels at 27-33lbs, can save you almost 10lbs per corner in unsprung weight. It'll be the most noticible weight saving that you'll feel in braking/acceleration/turn-ins.

alot of people will suggest rear seats or ripping out interior, but they won't add up to anymore than 10-15 lbs, which is not really worth the time.

if you want to go crazy, Porsche Carbon Ceramic Brakes would be crazy because it's a lot of saving off unsprung weight. costly tho at ~ 10k a set.

hope that helps out.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:46 AM
Originally Posted by notquitefob
Exhaust(20-25lbs) and gt3(30-35lbs) seats seems to be the largest weight savings for the work. Battery can save you anywhere from 15-25 lbs in general. Not sure if there are any negative side affects tho.

My personal vote would go towards wheels. You should look @ kinesis F110 / Rennworx / BBS (@ <20lbs a piece) versus the stock wheels at 27-33lbs, can save you almost 10lbs per corner in unsprung weight. It'll be the most noticible weight saving that you'll feel in braking/acceleration/turn-ins.

alot of people will suggest rear seats or ripping out interior, but they won't add up to anymore than 10-15 lbs, which is not really worth the time.

if you want to go crazy, Porsche Carbon Ceramic Brakes would be crazy because it's a lot of saving off unsprung weight. costly tho at ~ 10k a set.

hope that helps out.
BARF!!! 10k for ceramic brakes....last time i checked i didnt grow money
haha jk

it would be great if i wasent in college...then that would be a hell yes...

-Back seats-naw those stay...i looked at them before...they seem pretty light no big deal.
-wheels/battery/exhuast are the easy ones where i think i can save about 100lbs with no negative effects....

do you know how much gt3 wheels weight at ? I like the Gt3/2 look

Old 01-25-2007, 01:46 AM
SallyMobile is a jewel in the roughSallyMobile is a jewel in the roughSallyMobile is a jewel in the rough
holy smokes are you for real ?!

any more details in where to get one of those? any cons with getting one ?
I ordered mine online, but there are retail stores as well.

http://www.batteryspec.com/ecomm/car...ink&product=26

Cons:
  • You can't let your car sit as many days between drives with these smaller batteries. A week or just a bit more is about it.
  • Price (in this case, $84).
  • Need for a bracket to hold the battery down (mine was from Race Precision)
  • Weight savings is in from the front of the car, which isn't as important as from the back.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:49 AM
Originally Posted by SallyMobile
I ordered mine online, but there are retail stores as well.

http://www.batteryspec.com/ecomm/car...ink&product=26

Cons:
  • You can't let your car sit as many days between drives with these smaller batteries. A week or just a bit more is about it.
  • Price (in this case, $84).
  • Need for a bracket to hold the battery down (mine was from Race Precision)
  • Weight savings is in from the front of the car, which isn't as important as from the back.
Hmm true about weight savings/distrubution....but it all matters at the track

A week hmmmm usually i drive the car Thursday/Friday/Saturday/Sunday....sits Mon-Weds... kinda tempting...

Old 01-25-2007, 02:27 AM
Fanman is on a distinguished road
How about the Dymag carbon fiber wheels. Big bucks but huge unsprung weight savings.

Old 01-25-2007, 03:46 AM
wirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud of
Carbon hood and wing...looks great and weight only 20% of original weight
http://www.revozport.com/996.htm here is some prices too
And a option is change doors too, but it isn't a cheap option
https://shop.fvd.de/?VID=158262&VCD=...t=3&display=20

Old 01-25-2007, 08:22 AM
cpu77 is on a distinguished road
How about removing front and rear bumper supports? Do they make a kit for this if so where?

Old 01-25-2007, 09:43 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Remove spare tire and silly tire pump.

Remove rear wiper (just because it looks riduculous.

MK

Old 01-25-2007, 09:52 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
As far as keeping the car truely DDable, go with some Recaro Pole Positions (a good 60-70 lbs loss there...), a CF wing, and some lighter BBS/Fikse/Kinesis wheel setup...you will love the look, and the car will be significently lighter...

Old 01-25-2007, 11:33 AM
notquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud of
BARF!!! 10k for ceramic brakes....last time i checked i didnt grow money
haha jk

it would be great if i wasent in college...then that would be a hell yes...

-Back seats-naw those stay...i looked at them before...they seem pretty light no big deal.
-wheels/battery/exhuast are the easy ones where i think i can save about 100lbs with no negative effects....

do you know how much gt3 wheels weight at ? I like the Gt3/2 look
I came across the specs of the GT3 wheels you were looking at:

Factory 996 GT3

8x18" 22 lbs 10 oz.
8.5x18" 25 lbs. 2 oz.
11x18" 27 lbs. 11 oz.
12x18" 29 lbs.

as you can see, these GT3 wheels are no lighter than the OE Hollows and extremely heavier than some of the aftermarket solutions out there.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:23 PM
alenst is a name known to allalenst is a name known to allalenst is a name known to allalenst is a name known to allalenst is a name known to allalenst is a name known to all
Take a look at this if you're interested in any wheels on the list. Weights are in kg.

Thank you Luis95993

Old 01-25-2007, 01:58 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
LW Battery, Wheels, GT3 seats, Removal of Rear Seats, converting to RWD are all reasonable to do

I would love to know which battery to go for though, which LW battery is best to use??

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Weight Savings