996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Official Turbo Weight Loss Thread/ Lightest Turbo List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:50 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sechsgang
12-15 lbs

BTW, My car, with everything listed, is still a FATASS...still weighs 3556 with driver(180 lbs) and half a tank...

Really, that's it? I was all about to get me one and everything. 12-15 isnt worth it to me. On to something else.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:32 PM
Frankenporsche is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Its all in the dump next to the bose system, leather seats, and the other half of the car.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:53 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Really, that's it? I was all about to get me one and everything. 12-15 isnt worth it to me. On to something else.
ya, but the lifters obv wont break bc they cant...haha

Old 11-06-2007, 10:05 PM
USCTrojanMan29 is on a distinguished road
I'm gonna be pickin up the Braille 15lb Battery (check out the link below)...that'll be another 37lbs off the pig...

http://www.brailleauto.com/

Old 11-10-2007, 06:11 PM
Afg
Afg is on a distinguished road
Thats great thread ,,thanks mate about this infos

Old 11-11-2007, 06:42 AM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29
I'm gonna be pickin up the Braille 15lb Battery (check out the link below)...that'll be another 37lbs off the pig...

http://www.brailleauto.com/
TrojanMan,
Let us know how the install went. Is the 15lber good for daily use with out a battery tender?

Old 11-11-2007, 10:55 AM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TXGold
TrojanMan,
Let us know how the install went. Is the 15lber good for daily use with out a battery tender?

ran one for the last two years, you can do a search. they need to be on a charger nightly.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:05 AM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Frankenporsche
delete front bumper and mounts (add cup car tow hook)
delete ac cores (use one radiator fan on passenger fan for street use)
composite hood
delete fuel fill crap (use 100 litre fuel cell with dry break)
delete one wiper and part of wiper assembley (same as cup car)
add cup car electronic relay kill switch
use cup car windshield (thinner unit)
delete interior (use motosport dash w/ reduced support material)
delete wiring harness, use front and rear motorsport unit and custom engine harness
use plastic rear window (limited value on this)
use composite rear deck and cup car wing, keep engine compartment fan for street use
delete doors and side windows, use cup car doors with frames, cup car side mirrors
delete sunroof
delete rear bumper and mounts (the mounts are heavy, but if you keep a bumper you can get aluminum units from porsche motorsports), again use cup car tow hook
use GT2 aluminum rear cross member
delete front wheel drive, switch to cup car transmission
delete stock shifter, use cup car shifter and cables
delete street headlights with washers and use motorsport units without washers
delete heater (you can use a motosport unit is you want a defrost fan)
delete stock engine mounts and trans mount and go solid mount motorsport units on engine and trans (you need this anyway to help with the handling
usual bushings, cradle relocation, etc. as in cup car
all suspension should be cup car, or fabcar units if you know what you are doing (we do not - so I stuck with cup car units to simplify chassis tuning)
use moton or jrz units
use cup car rear side windows with vents
delete air injector, all other crap on motor - use motosport pieces to fill in the blanks as you take stuff out

I'll think of more later - but it has been a good experiment
Wow, very cool and entertaining!!! But why not just buy a Cup car??
What class do you race this car in?? and against what type of other cars? And how have you been doing with it. How does it compare to Cup car lap times?
thanks
tom

Old 11-11-2007, 09:13 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
I have a Turbo with a sunroof, I would like to replace the top with a carbon fiber piece, does anyone who makes this and how much it will save in weight?
Thanks for your help
Robert

Old 11-11-2007, 10:18 PM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
Rob, not sure how much this cost, but I bet its an expensive 6 lb diet.

http://9ff.de/en/products/details.ph...d=3&relID=3193

Old 11-11-2007, 10:34 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Frankenporsche
delete front bumper and mounts (add cup car tow hook)
delete ac cores (use one radiator fan on passenger fan for street use)
composite hood
delete fuel fill crap (use 100 litre fuel cell with dry break)
delete one wiper and part of wiper assembley (same as cup car)
add cup car electronic relay kill switch
use cup car windshield (thinner unit)
delete interior (use motosport dash w/ reduced support material)
delete wiring harness, use front and rear motorsport unit and custom engine harness
use plastic rear window (limited value on this)
use composite rear deck and cup car wing, keep engine compartment fan for street use
delete doors and side windows, use cup car doors with frames, cup car side mirrors
delete sunroof
delete rear bumper and mounts (the mounts are heavy, but if you keep a bumper you can get aluminum units from porsche motorsports), again use cup car tow hook
use GT2 aluminum rear cross member
delete front wheel drive, switch to cup car transmission
delete stock shifter, use cup car shifter and cables
delete street headlights with washers and use motorsport units without washers
delete heater (you can use a motosport unit is you want a defrost fan)
delete stock engine mounts and trans mount and go solid mount motorsport units on engine and trans (you need this anyway to help with the handling
usual bushings, cradle relocation, etc. as in cup car
all suspension should be cup car, or fabcar units if you know what you are doing (we do not - so I stuck with cup car units to simplify chassis tuning)
use moton or jrz units
use cup car rear side windows with vents
delete air injector, all other crap on motor - use motosport pieces to fill in the blanks as you take stuff out

I'll think of more later - but it has been a good experiment

I guess you aren't concerned about resale value.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:21 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TXGold
Rob, not sure how much this cost, but I bet its an expensive 6 lb diet.

http://9ff.de/en/products/details.ph...d=3&relID=3193
Wow but is it really carbon fiber? I like how they stated real carbon look? only six pounds... that cant be right? the hood saves you like 30 pounds..
thanks

Old 11-13-2007, 10:38 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Im interested in finding some more information on aluminum bumper supports, or getting some made, anyone have some leads?

Old 11-15-2007, 09:05 PM
Straight Pipes!!!!!

Gonna do that next, courtesy of Tom. Thinking about the extra 30-40 lbs of weight lost from the rear of the car, and the pretty flames shooting out the back. Should be done pretty soon so I'll have an exact figure for how much weight is saved.

Tom, it would be nice if you have any undercarriage shots of your exhaust.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:21 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Straight Pipes!!!!!

Gonna do that next, courtesy of Tom. Thinking about the extra 30-40 lbs of weight lost from the rear of the car, and the pretty flames shooting out the back. Should be done pretty soon so I'll have an exact figure for how much weight is saved.

Tom, it would be nice if you have any undercarriage shots of your exhaust.
I got em too...as for the undercarriage...well...they look like tubes from the headers...that come out the back...that dont have any stupid cat thingy things...

haha...they turn gold after you drive em a bit...they are great!!!!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.

Quick Reply: Official Turbo Weight Loss Thread/ Lightest Turbo List