996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

A running pictorial of my monster Protomotive build

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 04:10 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
A running pictorial of my monster Protomotive build

Hey guys,

I have a few pictures of my car and components that I thought I'd share with you. I'll add more to this thread as things progress.

The status now is that Todd is currently going full steam on my car at his shop in Arkansas. The research for my build took more time than we expected, but things are now starting to move quickly. Just like VRAlex's and Markski's car; my car is a custom, one-off build, that is incorporating things that have never been done before on a 996TT.

My cams for example; no one has ever hardwelded/reground stock TT intake/exhaust cams to use in the car. We went from about 402" lift on the intake up to 432" and 237 degrees duration, then right at 400" lift and 216 deg on the exhaust.

Another first is that Todd will be installing GT3 cam synch pickups on my newly modified 996TT cams so that he can use GT3 code with my 996TT ECU in order to take *full* advantage of the variable cam timing.

The stock 996TT variable cam timing is very limited. It merely retards the cam 30 deg at idle, then switches to full advanced mode everywhere else. So it doesn't move around and provide the nice torque curve it's capable of generating.

The GT3, however, uses its variable cam timing to its fullest capabilities. The cam timing moves according to throttle position, engine load, and rpm, so it provides extremely good drivability (for as much cam that's in there), very nice throttle response, and great high rpm power. By installing the cam synchs from a GT3 and using the GT3 code, we'll be able to get the majority of the variable cam timing that the GT3 has.

Another interesting thing to note are my custom valve springs. These babies are *stiff*. For the sake of comparison, here's how they stack up to stock 996TT springs and stock 996 GT3 springs:

996 GT3:
Spring rate: 270.7
0.1 inches from coil bind: 195 lbs

996TT:
Spring rate: 307.2
0.1 inches from coil bind: 225 lbs

Custom springs:
Spring rate: 315.7
0.1 inches from coil bind: 268 lbs

What this means is that I should be able to achieve a redline in the neighborhood of 8,000 rpm (possibly higher), with the limiting factor being the crank and rods. We won't know the max rpm until he's in the tuning phase.

I’ll also be using the water-cooled GT3076R turbos with 62 lb compressors from a GT35r. I'm looking for very strong mid-range power.

My headwork will be simple port/polish on the stock 996TT heads.

Of course, I’ll also be using a triple-carbon clutch, custom upgraded axle, custom exhaust, etc…

Anyway, here are some pics.

Old exhaust cams vs new cams (new on left)

Old exhaust cams vs new cams2 (new on left)

Old exhaust cams vs new3 (new on bottom)

Old intake cams vs new (new on right)

Old intake cams vs new2 (new on right)

Old intake cam vs new (new on top)

Cam carriers

Building fixtures for cam synchs

Custom high rate springs

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 03-19-2007 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:47 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Here's my new cams compared to stock GT3 cams

Another compared to GT3 cams

And here's a pic of my stock head prior to porting:

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 02-25-2007 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:46 AM
MikeR will become famous soon enough
Very impressive. Can't wait to see how your performs when completed. Do have an idea when it might be completed? Hopefully not too long after you get home.

Old 02-25-2007, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by MikeR
Very impressive. Can't wait to see how your performs when completed. Do have an idea when it might be completed? Hopefully not too long after you get home.
Hi Mike,

I'm hoping it'll be done within the next couple of weeks, but I told Todd that it's more important to me that he and Cynthia are 100% happy with the product before it leaves their shop than it is getting it to me quickly.

But then, they wouldn't let it leave thier shop if they weren't 100% happy with it in the first place.

Old 02-25-2007, 09:09 AM
Phoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant future
Hi Scott,

Another awesome thread about another awesome build! Very cool!

Thank you for sharing the info. Looking forward to learning more as this thread progresses.

All the best to you and the folks at Protomotive.

Old 02-25-2007, 09:23 AM
Thanks, Phoenix. Back at you.

Old 02-25-2007, 09:50 AM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
Todd and Cynthia do amazing things with all these custom motors.

Please continue to keep us posted!!!

Old 02-25-2007, 10:42 AM
Highhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to behold
Looks good Scott! What power range are you shooting for, CUrious where is the turbo supposed to start and max its boost production with the lighter turbines?

_Suman

Old 02-25-2007, 10:46 AM
sy996tt will become famous soon enoughsy996tt will become famous soon enough
congrats scott! i bet your so excited!

Old 02-25-2007, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by Highhats
Looks good Scott! What power range are you shooting for, CUrious where is the turbo supposed to start and max its boost production with the lighter turbines?

_Suman
Thanks Suman.

I'm hoping for 1k crank HP or so, but as far as how my curve will end up looking...we'll have to see. How much, I'm not sure yet. This is Todd's first time doing a setup like this...so we won't know for sure how it's going to work out until the project is complete.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 03-19-2007 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by sy996tt
congrats scott! i bet your so excited!
Thanks Sonny. I think I'm probably about as excited as you are after seeing your great pictures.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:33 AM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Very cool stuff Scott!!! Congratulations.

A year ago, GT3 exhaust cams were cutting edge (thats what I have). Now intake cams are the state of the art. How much additional HP do you think you will acheive with the modified intake cams (if you can isolate the increase from that particular component)?

I too have after-market springs (supplied by IA), but I have no idea what the data is on them.

I assume you are doing intercoolers similar to what Markski and I have. If not, what are you using in terms of ICs?

Why did you opt not to increase the valve sizes on your heads? I would be concerned that the OEM valve sizes might restrict the considerable airflow generated by the GT35s.

I think your 1k HP goal is well within reach with your set-up and, with your skilled driving and nearby fast track, you will be well into the 9s. I see a new name at the top of the 1/4 mile list very soon!!!

Craig

Old 02-25-2007, 11:41 AM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
Thats awesome divee. Another 1k protomotive TT. I cant wait to see what the power curve looks like.
Few questions, why didnt the others (markski,vr) use lightweight turbines to have boost come on ealier?
Do you think your headwork is enough to flow compared to mckenzies? The cost isnt worth it?
I know its to early to tell but it seems like final HP numbers are going to be similar to the other 2 ppl. Can you give us a breakdown of the difference when its done. It seems like your setup will be less money yet similar HP.
Thanks.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:52 AM
Byronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to behold
Scott- Great build and nice pictures. Is there a warranty that you get with the build? 1year, 10,000 miles,etc.

Byron

Old 02-25-2007, 12:13 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Very nice stuff... glad to see it come alive.
mark

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: A running pictorial of my monster Protomotive build