996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Newby Questions: GIAC and Other Upgrades

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 09:29 AM
YNOTFAST has a spectacular aura aboutYNOTFAST has a spectacular aura aboutYNOTFAST has a spectacular aura about
Newby Questions: GIAC and Other Upgrades

Sorry to be such a newby, but I am trying to learn and understand more before I make any changes to my 996tt.

What, specifically, is a GIAC Flash and what advantage does it give the car?

So far my car is stock other than the ssk I had installed. Now the snow is starting to melt here and I am starting to make a TO DO list for my car. I am thinking of starting with a few basic upgrades and putting more miles on the car.

Sounds like the opinions here would include installing billet diverter valves, Europipe exhaust, some form of Flash (GIAC?) and lowering the car.

Opinions please?

Thanks for all the excellent and open advice here

Old 02-26-2007, 10:40 AM
maxwell is a jewel in the roughmaxwell is a jewel in the roughmaxwell is a jewel in the rough
The flash and exhaust will take your car from 420hp to 500hp. You'll need an upgraded higher flowing exhaust because more power needs to breath more. The stock exhaust is too restrictive. Do a search for your exhaust options. There are several different "tuning" options, GIAC is the most popular, and sold by the most shops. Therefore, you could say it is the most tested.

Diverter valves are not a performance upgrade, but a maintenance one, as the stock ones are known to fail.

Your "lowering" options are numerous as well. It all depends on how you want the car to handle. Do a search here as well. Hope this helps.

Old 02-26-2007, 11:10 AM
Kevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the rough
I was right were you are about 4 months ago. I went with the GIAC programming, Baily diverter valves and a PSI Loud exhaust. The car rides and sounds amazing at this point.

The main reason that I went with the GIAC is because it was done at the dealership and they will back it under my extended warranty. Everyone on here as their own opinions as to the mods they are doing......so just keep reading and talking to the guys on here so you can make your own informed decisions. Also good to think ahead about where you would like the car to be in reference to final performance numbers and maybe you won't have to rebuy things later on.

Old 02-26-2007, 01:14 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by YNOTFAST
Sorry to be such a newby, but I am trying to learn and understand more before I make any changes to my 996tt.

What, specifically, is a GIAC Flash and what advantage does it give the car?

So far my car is stock other than the ssk I had installed. Now the snow is starting to melt here and I am starting to make a TO DO list for my car. I am thinking of starting with a few basic upgrades and putting more miles on the car.

Sounds like the opinions here would include installing billet diverter valves, Europipe exhaust, some form of Flash (GIAC?) and lowering the car.

Opinions please?

Thanks for all the excellent and open advice here
Your plan sounds fine. The exhaust is a must. After that I would ask myself what direction do I want to go with the car. If the exhaust and a flash are it
I would consider Upsolute, probably best bang for the buck.
If you are going to consider more mods and upgrades I would then consider REVO or GIAC. Although many fine tuners on this board with good stuff.
So at that point who is close to you that you can trust and what do they offer?
I went for REVO for the same reason Kevin went with GIAC, it is what my dealer had and backed and I have no fancy tuner in my area. the support means alot!!
Good luck, once you change the exhaust and flash the car you will not believe the true potential unlocked in that car!!

Old 02-26-2007, 07:12 PM
YNOTFAST has a spectacular aura aboutYNOTFAST has a spectacular aura aboutYNOTFAST has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by maxwell
The flash and exhaust will take your car from 420hp to 500hp. You'll need an upgraded higher flowing exhaust because more power needs to breath more. The stock exhaust is too restrictive. Do a search for your exhaust options. There are several different "tuning" options, GIAC is the most popular, and sold by the most shops. Therefore, you could say it is the most tested.

Diverter valves are not a performance upgrade, but a maintenance one, as the stock ones are known to fail.

Your "lowering" options are numerous as well. It all depends on how you want the car to handle. Do a search here as well. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info. Sorry to sound so dense, but is GIAC a process or a company?
I do understand how exhaust systems can hinder or help the flow of spent gasses, and the diverter valves as maintenance.
It's getting closer and closer to when I'm going to have to test my credit card's value.

Old 02-26-2007, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by tom kerr
Your plan sounds fine. The exhaust is a must. After that I would ask myself what direction do I want to go with the car. If the exhaust and a flash are it
I would consider Upsolute, probably best bang for the buck.
If you are going to consider more mods and upgrades I would then consider REVO or GIAC. Although many fine tuners on this board with good stuff.
So at that point who is close to you that you can trust and what do they offer?
I went for REVO for the same reason Kevin went with GIAC, it is what my dealer had and backed and I have no fancy tuner in my area. the support means alot!!
Good luck, once you change the exhaust and flash the car you will not believe the true potential unlocked in that car!!
Thanks Tom:

I feel I can always count on you for well reasoned and properly explained responses to my neve ending list of questions.

Buzz

Old 02-26-2007, 07:17 PM
Kevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the rough
GIAC is a company. Their software is used by many aftermarket dealers. You use your ECU and have it flashed from an authorized GIAC dealer.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:08 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by YNOTFAST
Thanks Tom:

I feel I can always count on you for well reasoned and properly explained responses to my neve ending list of questions.

Buzz
Buzz we all have or had the same questions at some point. The great thing about this forum is anyone can ask anything about anything and someone will know something about it!!!

Keep asking!! Everyone will keep answering!!!