996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

GIAC or UMW?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 03:26 AM
yyzc4s will become famous soon enough
GIAC or UMW?

I'm pretty sure this has been discussed before (actually found a couple of threads where this was mentioned), but I would like to know from personal experiences. Here is my take:

GIAC - this seems to be the popular choice. No one seems to complain.

UMW - I did not hear about them until I got in contact with Kevin. Kevin has explained to me the benefits, and has been very good in answering all the questions that I have. I would feel comfortable in purchasing from him just for that.

I plan to purchase the ECU and DVs for now, and an exhaust in a month or so. Right now I am thinking, that will be it, but I know for sure these mods will only be the beggining.

One very important factor in my decision will be the traceability of a flash program by the dealer, should something go wrong. My car is still under warranty, and I would not want to jeopardize that.

Has anyone changed from GIAC to UMW? What was the difference?

Thanks in advance for all your comments / inputs / opinions.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:50 AM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
yyzc4S

Are you trying to start WW III ?

Haven't seen you at the Autodrome I believe. You seem to have a fantastic car.
Both can give you programs that the dealer cannot trace in stock mode, careful though, some folks at the dealer read this forum

Once you do hardware changes you are toast, so I suggest you get one of the milder stages of tune such as a 450HP upgrade.

You don't need to change ECUs, not even send them overseas.

Last edited by Jean; 02-27-2007 at 03:53 AM.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:56 AM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jean
Are you trying to start WW III ?
Now, why would you say that ...

Old 02-27-2007, 09:04 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
I switched from GIAC to UMW as I went with hybrids and some other mods, so I wanted the ECU program written for my set-up.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:57 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
You should talk to people directly in Dubai that have the different tuning options. Talk to Jean (on the old thing called a phone), and discuss what your goals are. Both co's have great solutions.

Marty K.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:08 AM
JAY@BRANDYWINE is on a distinguished road
GIAC also will custom build the software for your app, here at our dealership we have tried all the different companies, and we found the GIAC is the best way to go, go with GIAC

Old 02-27-2007, 10:12 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
You forgot to throw Protomotive into the mix! Honestly between these three I don't think you can go wrong. You just have to find the one that you feel the most comfortable working with. They all have good products, customer service, etc...

Old 02-27-2007, 10:14 AM
yyzc4s will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
You should talk to people directly in Dubai that have the different tuning options. Talk to Jean (on the old thing called a phone), and discuss what your goals are. Both co's have great solutions.

Marty K.
So far the only option here is FVD, have not found any other tuner. Still looking around.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:55 AM
justdumb will become famous soon enough
You can't go wrong with any of the choices listed in this thread. If I were you, I'd go with whoever I would choose to use if I wanted more power down the road, as the cost of a software upgrade now would be either fully or partially credited toward the next batch of upgrades.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:23 AM
tradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to behold
ultimate motorwerks!!!

Old 02-27-2007, 11:50 AM
slant911 is on a distinguished road
Kevin at UMW is the sh**

Old 02-27-2007, 01:36 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Isnt RUF building the Taj Mahal in Dubai??

MK

Old 02-27-2007, 02:18 PM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
I had a the GIAC Stage III (K24's / EVO V Flow / Europipe Loud) and I found it somewhat disappointing. I decided to go with UMW Stage II Zero Clearance. While waiting for the turbos to be built, Kevin sent me a Performance file to hold me off until the ZC's are installed. For some reason... I got better gas mileage with the performance file rather than stock file....and way way better response than GIAC.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:43 PM
silversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to beholdsilversurfer is a splendid one to behold
Kevin, Kevin, Kevin, KEVIN.

Old 02-28-2007, 01:21 AM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yyzc4s
I'm pretty sure this has been discussed before (actually found a couple of threads where this was mentioned), but I would like to know from personal experiences. Here is my take:

GIAC - this seems to be the popular choice. No one seems to complain.

UMW - I did not hear about them until I got in contact with Kevin. Kevin has explained to me the benefits, and has been very good in answering all the questions that I have. I would feel comfortable in purchasing from him just for that.

I plan to purchase the ECU and DVs for now, and an exhaust in a month or so. Right now I am thinking, that will be it, but I know for sure these mods will only be the beggining.

One very important factor in my decision will be the traceability of a flash program by the dealer, should something go wrong. My car is still under warranty, and I would not want to jeopardize that.

Has anyone changed from GIAC to UMW? What was the difference?

Thanks in advance for all your comments / inputs / opinions.

Have had no experiance with UMV- Its been GIAC all the way since day one for us..
Why fix something that isnt broken..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GIAC or UMW?