996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Best Wheel offsets for the Street (for size 19's) ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 11:59 PM
ramone is an unknown quantity at this point
Best Wheel offsets for the Street (for size 19's) ???

Lets say I was getting 19" wheels. What would be the recommended measurements for the fronts and rears ?? I have no idea what measurements to order . This is for the street.

what do the experts recommend...

I am grateful for any help you can give me.

Last edited by ramone; 02-28-2007 at 12:05 AM.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:34 PM
Not all at once guys

Old 02-28-2007, 05:02 PM
GreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to behold
Sorry........been away from board.

Most common combo is something shooting for 235/35 and 315/25...several people using PS2s......and that rubber would 'usually' go on 8.5J and 11Js with respective offsets (ballpark) of 42 and 30mm.
Qualifiers:
**Can we talk you out of 19s ?
**Offset is always relative to....how aggresive you want, what's your suspension height, what's your suspension (how tight).........all this stuff might cause you to either fender prep, or go with a higher offset #, or, or.

Good luck.

Old 03-05-2007, 10:27 PM
Wheel Questions

Greg,

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my post about wheel offsets.

I am really clueless when it comes to wheels and would really apreciate you taking the time to explain some things to me...

Wheels:
I want to go with 19's because my car is only for the street and I think they look the best. I want 2inch lip in the front wheels and 3.5inch lip in the back.

From what I understand. You recommend these measurements for aftermarket 19s (are these measurements correct?):

Front: 235/35
Rear: 315/25

And you recommend these all-season tires: Michellen PS2's

Tires:
Originally Posted by GreggT
and that rubber would 'usually' go on 8.5J and 11Js with respective offsets (ballpark) of 42 and 30mm.
I don't really understand the above post tho. Is this referring to what size tires I should order ?....

Suspension:
Offset is always relative to....how aggresive you want, what's your suspension height, what's your suspension (how tight).........all this stuff might cause you to either fender prep, or go with a higher offset #, or, or.

Good luck.
I want to get PSS9 suspension system,

Ride hieght: I only want to lower the car by one inch.
Stiffness: I don't want the car to ride much stiffer than stock.

My suspension system will be minimalist (close to stock). Also I don't plan on getting any aftermarket BBKs.

Last edited by ramone; 03-05-2007 at 10:36 PM.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:37 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I would go with 8.5" in front and 11.5 or 12" in back. Stock wheels are 8" and 11" so you might as well get some more width if you're spending money. BTW GT2 wheels are 8.5/12"

Vivid Racing told me that you can get up 9.5" fronts?

Old 03-05-2007, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by ari
I would go with 8.5" in front and 11.5 or 12" in back. Stock wheels are 8" and 11" so you might as well get some more width if you're spending money. BTW GT2 wheels are 8.5/12"

Vivid Racing told me that you can get up 9.5" fronts?
Thanks for the advice. Are these suggested measurements for 19" inch wheels or 18's. or does it not make a difference.

If you have the time I would really apreciate it if you could answer some of the questions in my third post.

Thanks once again.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:30 AM
GreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to behold
You have mail.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:23 AM
maxwell is a jewel in the roughmaxwell is a jewel in the roughmaxwell is a jewel in the rough
ramone, pick the wheels you want, and the manufacturer has the offsets already prepared for your car. You could change them to have something extreme, but they will be able to suggest the correct offset.

315/25/19 and 235/35/19 are the most common setup. If you want a little more sidewall in the back, some tires come in 305/30/19.

Old 03-07-2007, 02:02 AM
You have mail.
hmm thats weird....nothing in my mailbox.

Old 03-07-2007, 02:04 AM
Originally Posted by maxwell

315/25/19 and 235/35/19 are the most common setup. If you want a little more sidewall in the back, some tires come in 305/30/19.
What about this situation. He has those exact measurements you quoted: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=75507

Old 03-07-2007, 08:39 AM
maxwell is a jewel in the roughmaxwell is a jewel in the roughmaxwell is a jewel in the rough
Ramone, that is weird. On mine they do come very close to the fender liner, but they don't touch. I have my car lowered 1.25" though, instead of 1.5". Everyone and their momma runs 315's/235's (I have been for 4 1/2 years on lowering springs, and then on PSS9's) and have 0 problems.

There is some variable we can't see on his setup that must be causing it. Either that plastic liner is sticking out too far, or something else out of the ordinary.

If you're concerned at all about the issues with larger wheels, just get some new 18's. The ride is much better on 18's anyway.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:49 PM
Romone........I don't know what happened to that mail either...shoot.

Maxwells right......todays wheel choices are incredible......18s are better (and have actually almost the same tire circumference as 19s...just less sidewall)....today you can get deep lip, reverse drop 18s that look awesome....are far more durable......and that use tires that are more reasonably priced and easier to mount.
But if you are set on 19s.............the tire size I and others gave you is typical......Pilot Sport 2s are a fine (expensive) tire........BTW they are not "All season" . 315/25 and 235/35 common fare........and the fairly common wheel width they go on are 11" and 8.5"
Offset is kinda important..........but like others have said, your wheel suppliers already have a stock offset they normally use for a 996TT.....so you can assume they know what's best........personally, I don't.

Once you pic a wheel 'style' that you like.....that will take those tires.....you can ask what depth lip that will give you. Different wheel types & styles will have different lip depths (since this is what you originally asked about).

Technically, 'lip depth' is not really a 3 piece wheel 'spec'......width is (8.5J), size is (19"), offset is (42mm)............the depth of that outer barrel is a function of (result of) the the width, the offset, and the particular wheel style you've choosen.
Good luck bud.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:12 PM
Romone........I don't know what happened to that mail either...shoot.

Maxwells right......todays wheel choices are incredible......18s are better (and have actually almost the same tire circumference as 19s...just less sidewall)....today you can get deep lip, reverse drop 18s that look awesome....are far more durable......and that use tires that are more reasonably priced and easier to mount.
But if you are set on 19s.............the tire size I and others gave you is typical......Pilot Sport 2s are a fine (expensive) tire........BTW they are not "All season" . 315/25 and 235/35 common fare........and the fairly common wheel width they go on are 11" and 8.5"
Offset is kinda important..........but like others have said, your wheel suppliers already have a stock offset they normally use for a 996TT.....so you can assume they know what's best........personally, I don't.

Once you pic a wheel 'style' that you like.....that will take those tires.....you can ask what depth lip that will give you. Different wheel types & styles will have different lip depths (since this is what you originally asked about).

Technically, 'lip depth' is not really a 3 piece wheel 'spec'......width is (8.5J), size is (19"), offset is (42mm)............the depth of that outer barrel is a function of (result of) the the width, the offset, and the particular wheel style you've choosen.
Good luck bud.
Very informative. Thank you very much Greggt