996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

20" wheels to big for a 996 TT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 07:47 AM
club411 is a jewel in the roughclub411 is a jewel in the roughclub411 is a jewel in the roughclub411 is a jewel in the rough
20" wheels to big for a 996 TT?

I saw that Techart has 20" gts for the 996tt. Is this way to big for it? I don't want to look like an out of work white rapper.

Plus how is the ride? I know they look sick on a 997

Old 03-03-2007, 07:55 AM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
Don't do it Club. Way too bling and the ride will be awful.

They "look" better on a 997 because the wheel openings are a good bit bigger than those on the 996. I still wouldn't do it on a 997. Put some 19's on with a nice coilover system and it looks far better than the 20's plus the ride will remain very nice. In addition, I would imagine 20's put more of a strain on the braking system as well (more rotating mass).???

Old 03-03-2007, 08:47 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
996tt is designed to perform with 18's. Even 19's don't work as well, only for looks.
20's a big NO NO!

Old 03-03-2007, 09:19 AM
kris is on a distinguished road
Saw these on Iforged's website. They sure look good, but I agree that you are compromising the ride.

Old 03-03-2007, 09:33 AM
club411 is a jewel in the roughclub411 is a jewel in the roughclub411 is a jewel in the roughclub411 is a jewel in the rough
Ok thanks for the heads up boys!

Old 03-03-2007, 10:01 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
20s are typically ok for street, but if you track or drive the car aggressively you will find that the car will push. I considered 20s for mine as well, but after spending some time in a couple of 997TTs and 997s with 20s it is clear that is not the choice for any condition beyond street driving

Old 03-03-2007, 10:13 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PorschePhd
20s are typically ok for street, but if you track or drive the car aggressively you will find that the car will push. I considered 20s for mine as well, but after spending some time in a couple of 997TTs and 997s with 20s it is clear that is not the choice for any condition beyond street driving

I agree, they will look great but your ride will be compromised. But if you chill on the street and go crazy at the track then I would say do it. I never could understand why people add lots of hp and track goodies, low weight wheels, Coilovers, BBKs, etc, and dont drive fast on the street (not racing neccessarily) and never go to the track.

Old 03-03-2007, 12:49 PM
ringmaster is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by heavychevy
I agree, they will look great but your ride will be compromised. But if you chill on the street and go crazy at the track then I would say do it.
Are you suggesting that 20" wheels are a good idea for going "crazy" on the track

To the OP - please remember that a 996TT is a high-performance automobile and if you are going to change parts that will decrease it's performance vs the factory parts you need to give your head a serious shake! If you want a bling-bling cruiser car sell the 996TT and buy a Cayenne S or a CL500.

Old 03-03-2007, 01:39 PM
doccao will become famous soon enough
Hell no....you'd be too worried about bending rims or getting a flat on those thin side walls. Thus, defeats the purpose of owning a Turbo.

Old 03-03-2007, 02:34 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ringmaster
Are you suggesting that 20" wheels are a good idea for going "crazy" on the track

To the OP - please remember that a 996TT is a high-performance automobile and if you are going to change parts that will decrease it's performance vs the factory parts you need to give your head a serious shake! If you want a bling-bling cruiser car sell the 996TT and buy a Cayenne S or a CL500.
NO NO NO.... That was with the assumption that you have a seperate set of track wheels, sorry for not clarifying.

Old 03-03-2007, 07:55 PM
ANUBIS is on a distinguished road
hmmmm .... intresting... BUT

he did not ask if 20" are to big for the track, I think a guy who has track experience or is about to have would NOT ask that question.

It's only about the look and for easy cruising I suppose. So, if you like it, do it.

Cheers

Old 03-03-2007, 08:12 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
IMHO - Go must ALWAYS come before show.

Old 03-03-2007, 08:18 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Or if you are an aggressive weekend driver. Meaning you find your favorite twisty road.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:33 PM
Yea, def not going to track the car... totally a car to drive to gym, grocery store and nightclub...

20"s still a bad idea then? I wish I could find a pic of a Black TT with Black 20" techarts...hmmmm

Old 03-06-2007, 09:33 PM
rwm514 will become famous soon enoughrwm514 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by kris
Saw these on Iforged's website. They sure look good, but I agree that you are compromising the ride.

To me this takes away from the cars looks. Just too much, detracts from the car itself. But what do I know, im running 18's and love the looks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 20" wheels to big for a 996 TT?