996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Any Tips on Clutch Master Cylinder Replacement?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 06:12 PM
silvershark will become famous soon enough
Any Tips on Clutch Master Cylinder Replacement?

Just got my 996TT back from Porsche..(2hrs away)
Upgraded to a Sachs 999 4100lb p plate w/ceramic disc.
All Hwy driving untill exit...got a suprise when the clutch pedal released
1/4" inch off the floor. After inspection, I found fluid on the shaft attached
to the clutch pedal. Anybody have any tips on master cyl replacement?

Old 03-05-2007, 09:43 PM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
The master is pretty easy. A 10mm racheting wrench will get the 2 mounting bolts, and then it is just the clip on the pedal, and the 2 clips on the line. You will want to either suck down the reservoir, or clamp the line so you don't spill pentosin everywhere.

Old 03-05-2007, 09:59 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
I saw done just a few days ago... make sure u have small hands... LOL

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 03-06-2007, 06:44 AM
silvershark will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
I saw done just a few days ago... make sure u have small hands... LOL
Someone else had mentioned how tight the work area was. I am wondering
how hard it is to bleed the slave cyl on top of the tranny? (6speed)
The book shows 1.5 hrs, is that how long it should take for a
novice-1st timer?
I am reaaly hacked that the Porsche dealer did not catch this, the car was
with them for 1 week. Also had them install a Gaurd LSD.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:12 AM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
Bleeding the slave is a royal pain in the butt if you don't have a vacuum bleeder (not a motive either, a suction type, air powered bleeder). Far worse than actually replacing the master.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:10 AM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
Waking up an old thread, does anyone know the difference between the 996TT master and the GT2, C2 etc clutch master cylinder? They look about the same, except the 996TT has a green pushrod and I guess it's for "Pentosin", but would be interested to know if there's really a difference except the 996TT master is a part that takes like 2 weeks to get delivered (and bit more expensive).

I just had a clutch drop surprise, at a stop sign the clutch activation/grip point just dropped to what was described above, appr 1/4 inch from the floor. In the pedal it felt like something just gave way with a funny sound from the front/pedal area (not from underneath the car).

Pedal still travels all the way back up and no leaks under the car, also fluid levels front and rear are ok, no pentosin pushing over at the front reservoir.

I guess clutch master gave up.
Will look like OP to see if there's a fluid trace on the master pushrod to confirm.

Dreading the bleeding after swap more than the actual swap though...

Last edited by MrWhite; 01-14-2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:15 AM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
Actually, may I ask anyone who made a GT2 clutch slave conversion, if you have your old 996TT master, could I buy it for cheap?? Thx!!

Old 01-14-2011, 12:16 PM
tvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud of
You can have mine for free, I can dig it out tomorrow. If I were you I would just do the gt2 conversion, bleeding the slave is such a pita, and the improvement of the gt2 setup is huge.

Tom

Old 01-14-2011, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by tvurt
You can have mine for free, I can dig it out tomorrow. If I were you I would just do the gt2 conversion, bleeding the slave is such a pita, and the improvement of the gt2 setup is huge.

Tom
Yeah eyeing the GT2 mod, got a guy who's good at the kind of 996TT PITA bleed job but not the full GT2 conversion job so just trying to get something to see me through til I can schedule time to get the GT2 mod done. +rep!!!

Old 01-15-2011, 03:32 PM
I took a look to see if bleeding the slave would be feasible... I actually ended up doing it as it was a 15min piece of cake job. Did a quick writeup.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...5-min-job.html