996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Modified OEM Muffler 996TT

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:58 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks. Neighbor with a Z06 loves the new sound....

He is very, very picky and a gearhead. Chevy guy to the bone, but the first thing he ever said to me about my car. His kid loved the OEM sound and couldn't praise the new sound enough. Just wait until I get my EP2L in a bit....

Another guy I know had two 996TT's...then an F430....now wants a hot rod....lots of free cash. Nice guy. Lots of racing experience.

He gets in the car...two minutes ...comes back. Gives me a "What the ++++ have they done witht these engines...mine were never this fast......so I told him. He was blown away. Balanced. Tractable.....smooth...and he loved the sound....so I showed him and he muttered expletives as he had bought a system for his F430 for a large amount of money ......" Thank you forum and UMW....great cars made even better by a lot of kind people and honest vendors.

Best of luck everyone.

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 07-31-2007 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:34 PM
KJM3 is on a distinguished road
Do they have a larger bit so you can enlarge ur hole to 2"?

- KJ

Originally Posted by drh
Well guys, I was over at Rennlist and read jcb-memphis's comments regarding this modification, and I thought about some tools that I use all the time, so here is what I did.

I went over to Lowes and picked up a #9 Unibit and a 12" Speedbor Extension. These items fit together and then you chuck 'em up in the drill.

The heavy diameter of the Speedbor Extension allows you to drill thru the exhaust pipe with the Unibit without flexing the bit or extension.

My obeservations at this point are that the car idles smoother and is especially noticiblly smoother from within the cab. The sound with the 1" diameter holes is louder than stock, but in a good way. IMHO, the stock exhaust sounds plugged up...and drones too much at idle.

At any rate, I realize I am late to the game here, but thanks to all for pointing out the mod. I'm happy and the car sounds *****en to this old man who does not like overly loud cars.

Old 07-31-2007, 07:47 PM
What about using a Carbide hole cutter like this? It's good for 10guage steel!

Item# 10353
http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/...rwinProd100040

Old 07-31-2007, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by KJM3
What about using a Carbide hole cutter like this? It's good for 10guage steel!

Item# 10353
http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/...rwinProd100040
Nevermind, this idea won't work. I just looked at the exhaust and what I couldn't see in the pictures is that the drilling surface is actually very curved, which would make using this hole cutter impossible to use.

What sucks even more is that I have the Split-Tips on my car which makes drilling a real ***** because I can't go straight in.

- KJ

Old 07-31-2007, 08:17 PM
tjj7ff is on a distinguished road
I did this modification over the weekend. Drilled 1 3/4" holes in each side. It does sound much better and a little bit increase in hp noticed. However, tonight on the way home from work I'm shifting from 2nd to 3rd and the rpm's go to zero and the engine dies. I was able to replicate this several times. The engine starts right up after each episode and idles smoothly around 900 rpm's. Any ideas if this modification might be causing this? I'm getting no error messages...the engine just dies between these two gears.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:38 PM
Zuma 911 has a spectacular aura aboutZuma 911 has a spectacular aura about
Anyone think 1" will pass California smog? Or, do you just plug the hole before you put the snifer in?

Old 07-31-2007, 09:44 PM
wooosh is a name known to allwooosh is a name known to allwooosh is a name known to allwooosh is a name known to allwooosh is a name known to allwooosh is a name known to all
Can't imagine that it is related.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:11 PM
porschedude996T is just really niceporschedude996T is just really niceporschedude996T is just really niceporschedude996T is just really niceporschedude996T is just really nice
Originally Posted by Zuma 911
Anyone think 1" will pass California smog? Or, do you just plug the hole before you put the snifer in?
There is no difference in the gases coming out of the engine and most of the smog mechanics will not no the difference.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:38 PM
After reading your reply's, I thought to myself...man, what dumb question I ask...sorry bout that.

Old 08-01-2007, 05:31 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Doubt it. TT Tommy did not have a modified ECU when he did the mod and had no issues....sounds unrelated, but I believe you. Wooosh and I have UMW software...rev at idle seems to be 1000ish not 6-700ish. Has made my life a lot easier.

For what it is worth, I don't have any way to give you an absolute answer....but in theory it is possible...or your plugs are bad, etc.

Let's see what others say. I seriously doubt the mod and your engine issues are related......

Originally Posted by tjj7ff
I did this modification over the weekend. Drilled 1 3/4" holes in each side. It does sound much better and a little bit increase in hp noticed. However, tonight on the way home from work I'm shifting from 2nd to 3rd and the rpm's go to zero and the engine dies. I was able to replicate this several times. The engine starts right up after each episode and idles smoothly around 900 rpm's. Any ideas if this modification might be causing this? I'm getting no error messages...the engine just dies between these two gears.

Old 08-01-2007, 05:33 AM
Originally Posted by KJM3
Nevermind, this idea won't work. I just looked at the exhaust and what I couldn't see in the pictures is that the drilling surface is actually very curved, which would make using this hole cutter impossible to use.

What sucks even more is that I have the Split-Tips on my car which makes drilling a real ***** because I can't go straight in.

- KJ
In review of this, I suggest that one remove any tips before using the power tools....to avoid the risk of nicking/scratching them.

Not a big deal if one does that I suppose. Just an idea.

As it turns out, in the process my right tip got a tiny bit of scraping on the right. I polished it out with a dremel tool and some "metal polish" this past weekend as it was only a light surface scratch, but let this be a "heads up" to everyone to be careful. I had a master mechanic/machinist to my work...guy rebuilds all sort of cars, works headers, etc..... With the grinders we used, it is tougher than with a hand drill.....and it really took about 1 hour per side. I watched the work...he was not taking it easy.

I plan to upgrade my tips to dual/x54 type any day now....they are coming (some of the money I spent.......thank you eBay) in the next 72 hours.

My wife and kids, one of which refused to ride in my old 993 because the prior owner put a resonating aftermarket exhaust in (B&B), love the new sound. No stalls here. As noted, it may be something the UMW software prevents or this mod may make other engine issues more apparent. Be that as it may, I did the mod knowing that if it did not work, it was my issue....my posting here is meant to help/educate.

Nothing more.

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 08-01-2007 at 07:14 AM.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:51 PM
I'd love to hear how this mod sounds in person rather than on the internet. Is there anyone in Southern California that has done this mod that would be will to hookup and let me hear it? Call me crazy, but I have a soft spot for the sewing machine sound of the stock exhaust.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:54 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
Zuma,
If you hook up with someone, PM me so I can hear it too.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:14 PM
TT Tommy is on a distinguished road
I'm down in San Clemente if you want to check it out. My mechanic that does the mod is here too.

tw

Old 08-02-2007, 06:27 AM
tjj7ff is on a distinguished road
Just following up on my engine cut-off...seems that the throttle body and MAS went out. Both were replaced and now its running fine. Nothing to do with cuting holes in the exhaust.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Modified OEM Muffler 996TT