996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Modified OEM Muffler 996TT

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:11 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
No need to worry about CELs or anything detrimental from this mod as the holes are after the cats. The only problem would be if your vehicle state inspection has noise requirements and your level is above the maximum dB.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:06 PM
kzrsoize is on a distinguished road
Jcb Memphis, no problems at all. Absolutely clean record as far as dealer knows. Had her smoged (Legally)right after i bought her a few months ago, and not a single problem. The car runs great and if i had to guess since i am the 3rd owner, the mod was done by the first owner. The gentlemen i bought the car from(2nd owner)was a great guy who wouldve been more than happy to tell me about the mod had he known. He layed out any problems he had knowledge of and they were very minor cosmetic. A real stand up guy, but anyhow he owned the car for 3 years so i would imagine this mod is at least 3 years old and no problems per him or the pre purchase inspection at Walters Porsche, and i have not experienced any problems at all, NONE.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:53 AM
fastoc996twint is on a distinguished road
i did it with a torche tip... very easy... the heat opened the stainless steel with no problems... no dropings to worry abought... smooth round 2"hole..... very nice even sound with no drone..... feels faster too it hink maybe just the sound.... hahaha

Old 08-21-2007, 11:35 AM
KJM3 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by fastoc996twint
i did it with a torche tip... very easy... the heat opened the stainless steel with no problems... no dropings to worry abought... smooth round 2"hole..... very nice even sound with no drone..... feels faster too it hink maybe just the sound.... hahaha
Is this a common tool a mechanic would have?

- KJ

Old 08-21-2007, 11:39 AM
yeah it is

Old 08-21-2007, 01:34 PM
ArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to behold
I performed the mod this last weekend on my car using an 18v DeWalt drill, a #9 unibit, and a 12" extension.

It took about 30 seconds/side to do. Very easy, and I didn't even have remove the exhaust tips.

The car does sound a bit better and it surely didn't slow down after the mod. It may be my imagination, but I do believe it is boosting more now than it did before. I'm seeing .9 and 1.0 bar in second and third now.

For those on the fence, go for it!

Rob

Old 08-21-2007, 03:19 PM
my drill bit kept slipping.. thats why i just asked my mechanic to do the mod for me with his torch... and like i said no shavings or pieces flowing aroung inside the muffler to worry about

Old 08-21-2007, 11:20 PM
stefenolsen is on a distinguished road
Talking TJW mod

I'm going to do the TJW mod this weekend. Is there anyone in the Northern Virginia area with this mod done? I would like to check it out prior to me undertaking the job. Thanks -Stefen

Old 08-22-2007, 03:09 PM
justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by stefenolsen
I'm going to do the TJW mod this weekend. Is there anyone in the Northern Virginia area with this mod done? I would like to check it out prior to me undertaking the job. Thanks -Stefen
Me too! Let me know what you find. And if you find anyone who can do a good job...

Old 08-26-2007, 06:25 PM
Zuma 911 has a spectacular aura aboutZuma 911 has a spectacular aura about
Update on the muffler bypass I did last month. I went from 1" holes to close to 2" holes today. No problems, i.e. CEL, etc. It's a tad bit louder, and a bit deeper with the bigger holes. I'm glad I did it, and it feels a little quicker.

Name:  hole1.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  227.9 KB

Old 08-26-2007, 07:40 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Nice to know you can do it without the fancy airgun mode...a lot cheaper too I am sure. :-)

I have grown absolutely used to mine....in no way is my 2.25" or so hole set a bother....see my thread pictures way back at post about 30 or so.....in this thread. Basically, if my mechanic could see it he removed it. So, it is basically a muffler bypass. The cats and turbo muffle the sound a lot.

The fact the one guy had it on his car from the prior owner for a few years....makes me feel quite good. He reported no issues at all.

If an aftermarket exhaust falls in my lap....but until then, I am set.

Old 09-02-2007, 03:41 AM
350plus is on a distinguished road
Hi all, as you can probably see this is my first post on these boards.

I followed a series of references and links to this thread from the UK and would just like to say a big thank you to the pioneers of this mod.

At the moment I've stopped at 1" just to get used to it but I can already see that more metal is going to vanish in the near future

Nice to see a really active 996tt forum

Old 09-02-2007, 04:55 AM
rico930 is on a distinguished road
I’ll do one better and show you what you guys are actually doing. I did this as the #1 mod but wanted to see what I was actually doing or if there was a better way. I ended up dropping the exhaust and cutting the top half off to see what went on in there. It was horrific to see the number of sharp turns etc on a turbo car ! I ended up using a hole saw the same size as the exit pipe and letting the pipe wall be my guide to an even cut. I remember it sounded like I thought the car should have but not to obnoxious. Sorry for the crappy phone pic it was all I had before I tig welded to top back on.

Old 09-02-2007, 07:56 AM
stefenolsen is on a distinguished road
Thanks

Thanks for the photo rico9030 I have the 1" holes right now and i'll be going to 2" very soon.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:57 AM
porschedude996T is just really niceporschedude996T is just really niceporschedude996T is just really niceporschedude996T is just really niceporschedude996T is just really nice
I like the idea of using the existing hole (outlet) for guiding the hole saw.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Modified OEM Muffler 996TT