996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Modified OEM Muffler 996TT

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:53 PM
fastoc996twint is on a distinguished road
what is the name of the company that takes a stock exhaust and modifies it? i think they gut the insides and re-form baffles....... anyone knowwhat im talking abought? if so do u know what they do.... maybe provide me with a blueprint... im planning on doing some surgery on mine....

Old 09-11-2007, 06:13 PM
Zuma 911 has a spectacular aura aboutZuma 911 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by fastoc996twint
what is the name of the company that takes a stock exhaust and modifies it? i think they gut the insides and re-form baffles....... anyone knowwhat im talking abought? if so do u know what they do.... maybe provide me with a blueprint... im planning on doing some surgery on mine....
Theres a great photo a few pages back, I'd take that to a muffler shop and have'm use that as a template. If you need a spare stock exhaust, I've got one with 1K on it, pm me if interested. Good Luck

Old 09-12-2007, 12:03 PM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
I guess Oem exhausts suddenly have some value !

Old 09-12-2007, 04:49 PM
TT Tommy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Zuma 911
Theres a great photo a few pages back, I'd take that to a muffler shop and have'm use that as a template. If you need a spare stock exhaust, I've got one with 1K on it, pm me if interested. Good Luck
You can do all that work if you want. I've heard it and the holes sound much better.

tw

Old 09-14-2007, 02:10 PM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
Why does this post never make it to page 1 ?

Old 09-14-2007, 03:31 PM
arent we on page 11?

Old 09-15-2007, 05:15 AM
RCH
Banned
Ok finally did this with my mechanic today and put my already modified OEM exhaust (200 cell front cats replaced by 100 cell race cats and 400 cell rear cats completely removed, cost circa +$1,600) put back on (took my Techart off which has been very satisfactory for the last two years, following my prior disastrous purchase of a Cargraphic loud which was resonance city and only lasted a month).

My mechanic wanted to drill rather than use the blow torch as he thought he would make more perfect holes but as noted previously the steel is super hard and so just use blow torch/welder. We made the holes at least circa 2.25" and it truly sounds like a 993 air cooled motor now with NO reasonance, this procedure is HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED !! TX

Last edited by RCH; 09-15-2007 at 11:36 PM.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:24 AM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
what about the green house gasses? who gives a ****?

btw, I have a stock exhaust for sale, immac like new take off with only a few hundred miles on it.

pm me if interested.

Last edited by oak; 09-15-2007 at 06:28 AM.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:31 PM
lilindienplaya is on a distinguished road
can this mod be done to a 997?

Old 09-15-2007, 10:21 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I suspect it can be done to a 997TT.

Cat is still there, so green house gas is not really the issue...sound is.

I love my TJW still....

Hope everyone out there is doing well. IF you have a bad experience, please post as well. I think it is important that everyone doing this to their car know the negative too. I don't have any. But others may have some.

JB

Old 09-16-2007, 09:40 AM
MidnighTT is on a distinguished road
I've had the holes since the original 6speed post. I like the deep sound at idle and normal driving, but mine still just hisses at WOT. The holes are ovals, about 1-1/2" tall by 2" front-to-back. I guess, since I've gone this far with it, I should just open them up more.

I'm also guessing that the location makes a difference. Are you guys going straight in through the tailpipe, which would put more of the home opening on the front-to-back part of the pipe? Or are you angling towards the center of the car, which would move the hole towards the side-to-side part of the pipe. (I hope that made sense - haven't finished my first coffee!)

Jeff

Old 09-16-2007, 03:19 PM
mine is striaght in.... right at the bend

Old 09-16-2007, 07:21 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MidnighTT
I've had the holes since the original 6speed post. I like the deep sound at idle and normal driving, but mine still just hisses at WOT. The holes are ovals, about 1-1/2" tall by 2" front-to-back. I guess, since I've gone this far with it, I should just open them up more.

I'm also guessing that the location makes a difference. Are you guys going straight in through the tailpipe, which would put more of the home opening on the front-to-back part of the pipe? Or are you angling towards the center of the car, which would move the hole towards the side-to-side part of the pipe. (I hope that made sense - haven't finished my first coffee!)

Jeff
Mine is posted in one of the first five pages of this thread....

JCB

Old 09-16-2007, 07:42 PM
Zuma 911 has a spectacular aura aboutZuma 911 has a spectacular aura about
I've got close to 2" holes and she hisses a bit a WOT. If I torch them completely open, will the hissing go away...??

Old 09-21-2007, 12:42 PM
rosesplus will become famous soon enough
I just had my TT done, (I bought the Unibit (9) and Speedbar extender) by the local exhaust shop, 10 mins and $20. This is the best mod I've done, right up there with doing the SSK, the sound is fantastic, nobody would call it noisy/droning.

Thanks to TT Tommy and JCB and the other contributers, you guys are what makes this site worthwhile!!

Mark

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Modified OEM Muffler 996TT