996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Modified OEM Muffler 996TT

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:20 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Jeff,

I'm pretty sure RUF also relocates the second 02 sensor. Not sure why.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:33 PM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
I would be truly surprized at that as it negates the whole benefit of using the OEM housing, any RUF pics anyone

Old 01-13-2008, 12:49 PM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
so this is my exhaust !!! and your see where it was cut,there is a considereable gap/space betwen the 200 and 400 cell cats but there is simply no way in a month of Sundays you will get it out without doing this and remember the steel shell is like concrete you will NOT deform it

Attached Images  
Old 01-13-2008, 12:53 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Richard,

I have a RUF and an OEM in storage at my office - I will verify tomorrow.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:29 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I am starting to understand better...John is probably right. In the end...dgi may be the way to go...just in avoiding getting junk into the turbos, etc.

JB

Old 01-13-2008, 05:39 PM
fastoc996twint is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
I am starting to understand better...John is probably right. In the end...dgi may be the way to go...just in avoiding getting junk into the turbos, etc.

JB
dgi? explain.... im alittle slow today

Old 01-13-2008, 05:57 PM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by John D

Scott,

Of course I did...Sorry, but I don't buy it. The comparisons were done on two different days with different conditions and from what was described, the results were all over the place - just trying to get a baseline. With the dual cats in place, the exhaust is still so restrictive that IMHO, any power gains have to be miminmal. I believe it was also stated the peak power did not increase, but a few areas under the peak did. Personally, I think that the drilling of the hole is great if you are looking for sound, but if you want to maximize the performance of your car, you should be looking at properly designed exhausts with maximum performance inherent in the complete design.
I understand what you're saying and agree that on vehicles that have more mods and a higher tune will probably be hampered by the restrictive nature of the stock exhaust (headers, cats etc.) but for a stock vehicle, even if the mod didn't result in top end gains, it had seemingly significant gains lower in the RPM range which would result in more USABLE power. But seriously the main intent on this mod was to better the sound of the stock system without drone, so regardless of power gains or not, the mod seems to have been a good solution to the sound issue with zero disadvantages such as power loss, cel's being thrown or even smog issues. So the goal of the mod, fulfilled and all for less than a bottle of mediocre wine.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:59 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Exactly.

JCB

(TJW)

Old 01-14-2008, 12:38 PM
RCH
Banned
well JCB if you just cut out the 400 Cell cats, nothing will get into your turbos (as the 200 cell cats will be in the way) and then remember they blow and don't suck and then if you use an air hose to blow everything out, even if they did suck you wouldn't have any issues !

Old 01-14-2008, 01:57 PM
But seriously the main intent on this mod was to better the sound of the stock system without drone, so regardless of power gains or not, the mod seems to have been a good solution to the sound issue with zero disadvantages such as power loss, cel's being thrown or even smog issues. So the goal of the mod, fulfilled and all for less than a bottle of mediocre wine.
Scott, I totally agree and think it is a great mod for someone looking for increased exhaust sound. And the price is certainly right!

As I mentioned above, I just took a look at my RUF exhaust and they do in fact plug the rear 02 sensor bung and install a newly located bung on the side of the muffler itself, about 3"-4" rearward of the original location of the rear bung....

Old 01-14-2008, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by John D
Scott, I totally agree and think it is a great mod for someone looking for increased exhaust sound. And the price is certainly right!

As I mentioned above, I just took a look at my RUF exhaust and they do in fact plug the rear 02 sensor bung and install a newly located bung on the side of the muffler itself, about 3"-4" rearward of the original location of the rear bung....

From my perspective: bang for buck, John D's stuff is the best out there in the current market. Maxspeed is good too. IF you want flexibility and good cost issues: fabspeed for straight to muffler....

I bet for 99% of guys these will do the job to 700+ HP.

If you want high end, grab MidnightTT's UMW unit asap. That is just an amazing piece. I strongly suggest someone get that before it is 5000 with a 5% profit margin from Kevin. There is a LOT of labor in that thing and top of the line cats, etc. I am sure GMG's is good too. EP custom too....8k or so....

Just my review. For most, the TJW is going to give mid range power/torque of about 15hp/torque...see up in the thread for numbers. I guess with my 1.0 bar UMW flash.... 539 for both at the crank....13% loss being used as the conversion ration....not bad. EP2 is 17hp at peak. This is probably 1 or 2 at peak....it is only at intermediate values...but that is where I drive...up to about 6k most of the time anyway....

In my world, I cannot use over 50% of my car most of the time....so TJW works for me....

JB

Old 02-01-2008, 01:39 PM
Savage is on a distinguished road
Question Tjw

I'm thinking of doing this this weekend. Any updates on likes/dislikes, problems, CELs, drone etc.? Also, I've read this entire post and just wanted to make sure there haven't been any issues with drilling the holes as opposed to the other method.
thanks

Old 02-01-2008, 07:59 PM
rosesplus will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Savage
I'm thinking of doing this this weekend. Any updates on likes/dislikes, problems, CELs, drone etc.? Also, I've read this entire post and just wanted to make sure there haven't been any issues with drilling the holes as opposed to the other method.
thanks
I'd do it, it's a great mod. I've had no CELs or drone since I had mine drilled out.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:18 PM
None here. No issues.

Save a high quality aftermarket unit, this is the best option...and per dollar, it is amazing. This is a nice "step" to something more formal....sound is much better than stock by my ear.....drone is none to very slight depending on hole size. I am at 2.25" and it is super nice to my ears....not an issue for anyone in the family. My Z06 neighbor loves it.

Good luck.

JB

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 02-01-2008 at 11:22 PM.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:46 PM
tjj7ff is on a distinguished road
I did it. No issues with 1 1/2" holes. Sounds much much better than OEM exhaust.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Modified OEM Muffler 996TT