996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Modified OEM Muffler 996TT

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:21 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rosesplus
I just had my TT done, (I bought the Unibit (9) and Speedbar extender) by the local exhaust shop, 10 mins and $20. This is the best mod I've done, right up there with doing the SSK, the sound is fantastic, nobody would call it noisy/droning.

Thanks to TT Tommy and JCB and the other contributers, you guys are what makes this site worthwhile!!

Mark

Very kind words. Please add Woosh to the main credits:

T = TT_Tommy
J = jcb-memphis
W=Woosh

What is amazing....it is so easy and you get power. A very brave person could just cut the muffler off and go from cat to pipe, but this is so simple that it begs to be done. And it is the rare thing in P car land that gives power and is cheap....very cheap.

Thanksl for the note and I am glad you are happy. If people ask about this mod, I think it is important to read this thread from the start and evaluate all the pictures....movies......most issues have been addressed to date.

To all those thinking of it, I still like it on 3 months+. It even feels faster somehow.

JB

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 09-22-2007 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:41 PM
TT Tommy is on a distinguished road
Yo boyz,

Yeah, great mod for sure.

great weekend comin' up!

Thanks to Jeff for running with the ball and getting it dyno'd by WOOSH

You guys rock

tw

Old 09-22-2007, 06:11 AM
rafiki is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RichardCH
Ok finally did this with my mechanic today and put my already modified OEM exhaust (200 cell front cats replaced by 100 cell race cats and 400 cell rear cats completely removed.....

Hi Richard,

Please exuse my ignorance, but in referring to the rear cats, you mean the ones furtherest from the driver , right?

Also, was anything else done to make exhaust lighter?

Old 09-23-2007, 05:33 PM
stefenolsen is on a distinguished road
Talking Drill the holes!!!

I did mine a couple of months ago. I used the unibit and speed bore extension. At first I left it at 1" but after a week I went to 2". So far very happy. No cels. Great sound. Thanks to everyone that has helped in this thread.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:33 PM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
>Just wanted to say 3 weeks later what a great mod this is, thanks guys !

Old 10-09-2007, 08:21 PM
pgcanillas is on a distinguished road
Excuse my english, but I am a spanish speaker so I do not know what is a hiss or hisses? Can someone explain me? THANKS!!!

Old 10-09-2007, 11:44 PM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
the 400 cell cats are indeed the ones furthest from the driver and removing these alone will significantly cut the weight as they are big items. I only run with the front cats in 100 cell race format and have never had a CEL

Old 10-10-2007, 08:12 AM
Zuma 911 has a spectacular aura aboutZuma 911 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by pgcanillas
Excuse my english, but I am a spanish speaker so I do not know what is a hiss or hisses? Can someone explain me? THANKS!!!
When we talk about the hissing, it is the sound the muffler makes as the exhaust airflow is being forced out. On the stock exhaust, all the air is routed through the Muffler, so the sound is dampend or muffled. On the muffler-bypass, much of the airflow is routed straight out of the tailpipe causing a sound somewhat like what you hear from the air-hose you use to fill your tires. Basically the "hissing" is the sound of compressed exhaust gases being dumped overboard. I would venture to say you will always have some of this sound unless your downstream pipes are bigger than the Cat's, or the routing is very laminar. That being said, most of the hissing is covered up by engine tone. I hope that help...somewhat tough to explain.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:21 PM
rafiki is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RichardCH
the 400 cell cats are indeed the ones furthest from the driver and removing these alone will significantly cut the weight as they are big items. I only run with the front cats in 100 cell race format and have never had a CEL
Thanks.

I have the stock exhaust out at the moment and thinking of removing the rear cats(as well as putting 100 cel up front).

My local exhaust guy has not worked on Porsche exhaust beforw, so any advice on the best way of removing cats would be appreciated.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:52 PM
scott is on a distinguished road
I did mine a while back with the #9 unibit. I want my holes bigger now- how can I accomplish that? The unibit tip hits the muffler, so that's not going to work. Is there a bigger bit I can use? Want to go to 1 1/2 inches.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:25 PM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
I have looked myself for a hole saw bit that will fit the extension I have for my drill. The only thing I have found is 1 1/4" bits that will fit the extension. Anything over this seems to need a tool that is actually a chuck like the one on your drill, that has about 8 inches of extension to it(not cheap). I still don't think it would work. So, for now I am stuck at 1 1/4". Even if I were to use a bigger hole saw, the guide bit would go thru the back of the exhaust. If you could find a way to get a bigger hole saw and take out the guide bit, you could do it. After checking at HD, Lowes, Ace, my local hardware store, and a place here in Houston called Cirlce Saw(no ****) I gave up and bought an exhaust from a 6speed online member. I recommend the same, or the new exhaust design John D. is selling here.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:00 PM
pgcanillas is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Zuma 911
When we talk about the hissing, it is the sound the muffler makes as the exhaust airflow is being forced out. On the stock exhaust, all the air is routed through the Muffler, so the sound is dampend or muffled. On the muffler-bypass, much of the airflow is routed straight out of the tailpipe causing a sound somewhat like what you hear from the air-hose you use to fill your tires. Basically the "hissing" is the sound of compressed exhaust gases being dumped overboard. I would venture to say you will always have some of this sound unless your downstream pipes are bigger than the Cat's, or the routing is very laminar. That being said, most of the hissing is covered up by engine tone. I hope that help...somewhat tough to explain.

THAKS FOR THE EXPLANATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-11-2007, 12:43 AM
ArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to behold
I used the #9 unitbit to drill my first holes. Then, I wanted more.....

So I drilled a second hole right next to the first, but over-lapping the first a bit. This created a "figure 8" in there that I then was able to move the drill bit to get rid of the points in the middle....this creating a pretty large, oval shaped hole.

I may do it again and get a third attempt in soon...why? I dunno. More has to be better, right?

Originally Posted by scott
I did mine a while back with the #9 unibit. I want my holes bigger now- how can I accomplish that? The unibit tip hits the muffler, so that's not going to work. Is there a bigger bit I can use? Want to go to 1 1/2 inches.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:57 PM
voanja is on a distinguished road
would've have tried this before getting the europipe....but it's too late now.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:59 PM
porschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of light
if you modd the oem and it works then get ready to take over Ruf Mod's : >

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Modified OEM Muffler 996TT