996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Intercooler temps during dyno runs? Icing help?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 12:31 PM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
Intercooler temps during dyno runs? Icing help?

Hi all.
Has anyone measured their intercooler temperatures during
a dyno run? I just got a pyrometer, and find that one minute
of spirited driving gets them up to 140 degrees.
Has anyone seen the power benefits on a dyno from icing the
intercoolers?

thanks,
Joe

Old 07-16-2007, 02:26 PM
kilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to behold
No , because that doesn’t represent the real word driving, if you wan to see the real power of the car, run it on the dyno like you would on the street. The temps will get up there....no doubt

Old 07-16-2007, 02:54 PM
cohare has a spectacular aura aboutcohare has a spectacular aura aboutcohare has a spectacular aura about
I also posted this on rennlist, what about the idea of N02 for the intercoolers. This way you could use it in short bursts on the street/strip/track?

Old 07-16-2007, 02:58 PM
kilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to behold
Back in the day when i was running a 5.0 L supercharged mustang, I i used a 50 shot of strait spray to cool the air going in the plenum, it did work but then again those were cheap motors......

Old 07-16-2007, 04:48 PM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
If this works, it would work 'in the real world' either in
quarter-mile drag strip efforts, or my venue (autocross).
Joe

Old 07-16-2007, 05:05 PM
Banned
Sonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud of
Joe,
What I use when there is no fan at the top of intercooler is a bag of ice in between runs, it works, cheers, Sonny.

Originally Posted by Joe Weinstein
Hi all.
Has anyone measured their intercooler temperatures during
a dyno run? I just got a pyrometer, and find that one minute
of spirited driving gets them up to 140 degrees.
Has anyone seen the power benefits on a dyno from icing the
intercoolers?

thanks,
Joe

Old 07-16-2007, 05:13 PM
thanks Sonny!
I'm trying to get a rough quantitative idea of the power difference
between a motor with a 140 degree intercooler and a 32 degree one.

If other factors also matter, let's say ambient temp is 80 degrees,
sea level, and boost at 1.0 bar, and race gas.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:53 PM
I got info from Todd Knighton. He says:

You get about .5hp/degF you lower the temps. So, in an ideal world,
you have nearly 30hp to gain if you could get the temps back to ambient (81deg).

Old 07-18-2007, 01:53 AM
Banned
crazy1323 can only hope to improve
you can use CO2 and get it to spray on the intercooler. It works just as well as using nitrous to cool the intercooler and is not an oxidizer incase of an accident. It is also cheaper and easier to refill.

DMK has this setup in his car before he had a "little" issue with the motor.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:47 AM
Banned
Sonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud of
Just make shure your engine does not ingest this stuff, it is a flame quencher,cheers, Sonny.

Originally Posted by crazy1323
you can use CO2 and get it to spray on the intercooler. It works just as well as using nitrous to cool the intercooler and is not an oxidizer incase of an accident. It is also cheaper and easier to refill.

DMK has this setup in his car before he had a "little" issue with the motor.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:19 AM
dwtaylorpdx is an unknown quantity at this point
You could pull the temps off a IAT just after the intercooler...

Old 06-19-2019, 06:13 AM
Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !
Below are a few easier options.
1. Bigger intercoolers
2. Water injection (easy, cheap and low maintenance)

Old 06-19-2019, 07:48 AM
vogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond repute
Holy necrobump Batman!

Old 06-19-2019, 11:23 AM
JSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by kilrgt
No , because that doesn’t represent the real word driving, if you wan to see the real power of the car, run it on the dyno like you would on the street. The temps will get up there....no doubt
? Very difficult to compare dyno pulls to actual pulls on the street. Very few dyno's are equipped with the necessary fans to replicate driving on the street. I would recommend using it as a tool to set a baseline, and then assess subsequent modifications. Even that can be challenging, if you dyno baseline in winter, and come back in the summer after a few mods, ambient temps will be much different.

Old 06-20-2019, 01:05 AM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
One leaf blower to each IC inlet and IAT will stay in control.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Intercooler temps during dyno runs? Icing help?