996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Bilstein Question???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 07:56 AM
ZEMDOGG is on a distinguished road
Bilstein Question???

Hey guys i currently drive a 99 996. The car has 99,500 miles with the original shocks. I lowered it about 30K miles ago and as you might imaigne the shock are now very old and tired. I was thinking of doing the PSS9 or the X74 but just cant afford it right now. So looking for less expensive alternatives(which I hate doing) I stumbled upon Bilstein Sport shocks that work in conjunction with lowering springs(H&R,Eibach). For the price I can get them for they seem like a no brainer. I always appreciate all comments but all im really looking for right now is anyone with any experince with these shocks. They sell them on tirerack and all of the feedback dosent really apply to a Porsche. Any help is appreciated! (Yes i know PSS9s/X74 are better but I cant wait nor do i want to anymore)

Old 10-29-2007, 10:01 AM
BigDaddy will become famous soon enoughBigDaddy will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by ZEMDOGG
Hey guys i currently drive a 99 996. The car has 99,500 miles with the original shocks. I lowered it about 30K miles ago and as you might imaigne the shock are now very old and tired. I was thinking of doing the PSS9 or the X74 but just cant afford it right now. So looking for less expensive alternatives(which I hate doing) I stumbled upon Bilstein Sport shocks that work in conjunction with lowering springs(H&R,Eibach). For the price I can get them for they seem like a no brainer. I always appreciate all comments but all im really looking for right now is anyone with any experince with these shocks. They sell them on tirerack and all of the feedback dosent really apply to a Porsche. Any help is appreciated! (Yes i know PSS9s/X74 are better but I cant wait nor do i want to anymore)

Hi Zemdogg

i have the H&R suspension in my 996 3.4 convertible and iam really happy with it. my car had only springs before i changed the whole thing.
Good thing is that a friend of mine works for H&R. So i got the whole sportsuspension for 700 Euro. Thats round about 950 USD.
And the H&R suspension has also bilstein shocks.

Greetings from Hamburg

Z

Old 10-29-2007, 10:13 AM
^^^ Hey thanks for the response. Did you do the coilovers? Or you just added the shocks to the springs. Im have the springs on it and im just looking to add the shocks. : )

Old 10-30-2007, 09:28 AM
BigDaddy will become famous soon enoughBigDaddy will become famous soon enough
^^^ Hey thanks for the response. Did you do the coilovers? Or you just added the shocks to the springs. Im have the springs on it and im just looking to add the shocks. : )

Hey Zem

what is coilovers ??

i have the complete H&R 'Gewindefahrwerk' installed

this one right here

http://www.h-r.com/index.php

it really works great on a 996.

Z

ps. i just looked at the H&R website in english and i have the H&R coil overs installed.

Last edited by BigDaddy; 10-30-2007 at 09:31 AM.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:43 AM
Yeah I have the H&R lowering springs just looking to change the shocks. Nice setup though : )

Old 10-30-2007, 02:18 PM
UCrazyKid will become famous soon enoughUCrazyKid will become famous soon enough
Bilstein Sports and H&R's would make a good combo.
Try here: http://tinyurl.com/2e293b
or here: http://www.shox.com
for shocks. Are you re-using your springs? or purchasing new H&R's? If you are now you are up in the same cost range as the Porsche ROW M030 kit and it comes with swaybars. Either way you pay the same for install and alignment.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
Bilstein Sports and H&R's would make a good combo.
Try here: http://tinyurl.com/2e293b
or here: http://www.shox.com
for shocks. Are you re-using your springs? or purchasing new H&R's? If you are now you are up in the same cost range as the Porsche ROW M030 kit and it comes with swaybars. Either way you pay the same for install and alignment.

Hey thanks! No I have the springs now and would be looking to just upgrade the shocks. I think I have a line on some used GT3 Sways for cheap as well!

Old 10-30-2007, 06:18 PM
UCrazyKid will become famous soon enoughUCrazyKid will become famous soon enough
Hey thanks! No I have the springs now and would be looking to just upgrade the shocks. I think I have a line on some used GT3 Sways for cheap as well!
Sounds like a good route to go. The Bilsteins also have a lifetime warranty so you are set for as long as you own the car!

Old 10-30-2007, 09:40 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
I had the H&R springs with the sport shocks on my 02 C2 and loved it.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:10 AM
Thanks guys this is what I needed to know! "Onetime" how did it compare to stock? Or to PSS9/X94 any experience with those? Thanks again!