996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

-PICS c4s with GT wing- Anyone in NJ/AC know this car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 10:50 AM
mickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant future
-PICS c4s with GT wing- Anyone in NJ/AC know this car?

Hoping someone in the NJ area recognizes this car....long shot I know but heading down the path of purchase and just seeing if I can get lucky if anyone in this area knows this car. I am getting PPI tomorrow.

Anyone in Atlantic City willing to look at a car for me and I would be willing to send some $ for the trouble. Anyone in that area please ping me at sramponi@optimaleng.com, thanks!

its a 2003 c4s Porsche... 15K miles, told it has factpory P wing from GT series and same with the front facia. Whats up with these cut outs???? Yes prior owner added Turbo center caps, debadged etc... I will make sure I fix such if i purchase...

any feedback at all greatly apprecaited, even comments....if someone thing doesn't look right...

Thanks for the help all!

Attached Images    
Old 12-12-2007, 12:12 PM
BigMac78 is on a distinguished road
Is the rear bumper fitting tight? Seems warped from the pic....just asking.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:15 PM
mickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant future
hard to tell in these pics

will have looked at during PPI

Originally Posted by BigMac78
Is the rear bumper fitting tight? Seems warped from the pic....just asking.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:20 PM
996c4s_dallas is on a distinguished road
Its the wide angle lens that makes it looked warped I think. Look at the parking stripe.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:23 PM
good point

nice catch,

Originally Posted by 996c4s_dallas
Its the wide angle lens that makes it looked warped I think. Look at the parking stripe.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:55 PM
SaintlySins has a spectacular aura aboutSaintlySins has a spectacular aura about
I think you should get a professional 3rd Party to give this car a serious inspection.
I agree with BigMac78 – 1.) There’s certainly something wrong with the shadows in the way the bumper fits at seam. Camera angle? Eeeh? Doubt it? 2.) What the “F” is up with the front bumper? 3.) Why does a car in a Jersey used-car lot (read; “trade-in”) have tinted windows? N.J. law doesn’t allow tinted window from the driver’s door forward since a State Trooper was shot and killed as he couldn’t see into the car and was shot through the window. You can’t pass N.J. inspection with driver door window tint either. This ‘probably’ makes this an out of state vehicle … hummm???? Why??? 4.) I’m all for ‘mod’s’ to make the car a unique ride, but if someone was to swap rims for the turbo rim, I doubt they would keep the center-cap saying Turbo when the car isn’t. (#4 is my personal point of view – I know some adopt the look of another model, but few try to ‘fake’ a model type completely … it’s just too kitschy and 13th grade, and even you recognize that’s a needed change.)
UNLESS – the previous rims were wasted and the replacements were put on just to get wheels on the car for a quick re-sale. I think this logic applies to the front bumper as well. It appears to me this one is a ‘quick-fix-for-resale’ and there’s a lot more to inspect under all the shine.
I may be wrong – but to pay a pro to go out and inspect it for several hundred dollars is worth every penny down the road – whether I be right or wrong. Good companies will even give you a warrantee for the work they do.
Get all the info you can from the dealer as to who owned it before you and if you can contact them too. A serious owner will gladly share the past with you regardless of how good or bad it was … especially if he turned it in and is rid of a nightmare … and even more-so if he knows you have his info and could find things hidden he really wanted to hide from (even from a legal standpoint). If you can’t or don’t hear from the previous owner … you KNOW it’s a trade/dump car that is certain to have hidden problems.
I don’t want to rain on your possible purchase, but there are initial things here that just don’t add up to a good buy without a very thorough inspection by a professional.
Hope this helps.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:08 PM
great data thanks

Thanks again....

I did confirm where the car was bought from (Ray Catena Porsche in NJ) and also confirmed last Oil change was with them the dealer on 10/17/07.... the dealer that has the car is a BMW dealer and the car was traded in for a new M5 SMG (although guess they could be lying about this)

The prior owner does not want to take calls from strangers with questions but I was able to get some questions answered with dealer contacting the former owner but again those answers and second hand....

I was thinking the car is a great buy for the price assuming it is clean and with 15K miles there is a possability it is. I think way more people out there have poor taste in light mods (light tubo caps on a non turbo etc) then good taste but do also agree with your pounts as to what was replaced and possibly why etc....

So where I am at is posting on boards looking to see if anyone knows this car..... also its going to a third party porsche dealer (not the one that sold the car originally and not BMW dealer selling the car) for PPI tomorrow. I am hoping that this will tell me if this car is junk or the low mileage great deal it could be.....

Old 12-12-2007, 01:57 PM
SaintlySins has a spectacular aura aboutSaintlySins has a spectacular aura about
All the info you have been given is easily found in computer data bases (Oil Changes, etc.), and done with little effort by the dealer/salesman. As for the ‘dealer’ telling you that ‘he’ spoke to the owner but ‘you’ can’t as “the prior owner does not want to take calls from strangers with questions” … Huummm … sound’s like a line of bunk to me from a guy that wants to sell a car. Even you’re suspect of the dealer telling you the guy bought an M5.
A highway frontage used car dealer selling a car cheaper than average resale is a big red flag to me.
PERSONAL ADVICE: I hope the “third-party P dealer” was chosen by you and not the dealer. If not, you have no idea the relationship between the two. I admit to being too damn **** for my own good, but I would contact a ‘FIRST-party P dealer’ (meaning a real Porsche Dealership – there is a decent one down there), and have them look at it … but that’s ONLY second choice to picking up a “Hemming’s Motor News” magazine and getting a local inspector (or referral) from the Porsche section out of there.
I have done this for several cars I’ve purchased long distance and have found this method to be extraordinarily satisfactory, saving me from disasters as well as helping me buy with confidence.
Again, I’m sorry to be throwing a wet blanket on your dream, but what I’m REALLY telling you to do is invest in a ‘private-you-bought-them’ inspection service when buying a no warrantee to buyer, traded-in Porsche to a non-Porsche dealer – even if it was down the street from your house, let alone 4 states away.
Just trying to be helpful ... I'll stop sounding like a nagging Father with this post.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:09 PM
no need to apologize

a nagging dad is what I want! Its exactly what I want to be honest.... I greatly apprecaite the help. I choose the Porsche Dealer to do the PPI buit they are down the road from this dealer so who really knows if they are buddies? I like your idea about a private car inspector..... may have to go that path. yes I am skeptical as well thus my postings here and on rennlist, the PPI, etc etc... I called the oribal selling dealer and they would give me NOTHING, just last oild change, said they need prior owner to come in there in person and agree to relase the data to me..... Hogwash I know but did try.....

Others feel free to chime in.... I don't want to get taken but also this could be a great deal of a car I really want! So willing to keep going down this path until I find something that tells me flat out something is up....

thanks again for your replies back value them greatly!

Originally Posted by SaintlySins
All the info you have been given is easily found in computer data bases (Oil Changes, etc.), and done with little effort by the dealer/salesman. As for the ‘dealer’ telling you that ‘he’ spoke to the owner but ‘you’ can’t as “the prior owner does not want to take calls from strangers with questions” … Huummm … sound’s like a line of bunk to me from a guy that wants to sell a car. Even you’re suspect of the dealer telling you the guy bought an M5.
A highway frontage used car dealer selling a car cheaper than average resale is a big red flag to me.
PERSONAL ADVICE: I hope the “third-party P dealer” was chosen by you and not the dealer. If not, you have no idea the relationship between the two. I admit to being too damn **** for my own good, but I would contact a ‘FIRST-party P dealer’ (meaning a real Porsche Dealership – there is a decent one down there), and have them look at it … but that’s ONLY second choice to picking up a “Hemming’s Motor News” magazine and getting a local inspector (or referral) from the Porsche section out of there.
I have done this for several cars I’ve purchased long distance and have found this method to be extraordinarily satisfactory, saving me from disasters as well as helping me buy with confidence.
Again, I’m sorry to be throwing a wet blanket on your dream, but what I’m REALLY telling you to do is invest in a ‘private-you-bought-them’ inspection service when buying a no warrantee to buyer, traded-in Porsche to a non-Porsche dealer – even if it was down the street from your house, let alone 4 states away.
Just trying to be helpful ... I'll stop sounding like a nagging Father with this post.