Notices
996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

how to change the oil seperator

Old 04-01-2009, 04:33 PM
RocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant future
Check here: http://www.planetporsche.net/cayman-...ere-smoke.html

Exactly what I'm talking about...Are we on the same page 1999?

Old 04-01-2009, 04:47 PM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by RocC4S View Post
Check here: http://www.planetporsche.net/cayman-...ere-smoke.html

Exactly what I'm talking about...Are we on the same page 1999?
What does that link have to do with blowing smoke out the tailpipes? There is one purpose of the baffle and ONLY one. That is to reduce the possibility of the pickup tube sucking air. Just because some shop wrongly advertises the benefits of a product does not make it work.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:00 PM
RocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant future
Did you read this part from the link:

"I've had the same problem but usually after the session is over and the cars been sitting with the engine off, when you restart you get a cloud of white smoke. Do a search on the forum, cos I know I've seen this before here, I even think there's a solution with some form of oil baffle system from Motordrive or something. Never happened to me on track and I was never blackflagged. Was it a road course or an Oval? I could see the sustained G's on an Oval causing this."

All I know is, I can speak from personal experience on this. Check with C2MOJO, same thing happened with his car, same DE day, same common problem...look into it. I'm done.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:28 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
x51 oil pan is under the car... keeping the sloshing oil down to a minimum so that the oil can be sucked in by the pickup... then it is fed to the engine via the oil pump. The pan and the oil it contains is outside the engine... all the oil issues you are talking about is inside the engine.

The problem with the caymans is that it can pull serious G's around a corner...and the stock aos is short... oil can creep up the aos column and gets injected into the intake.... All of this oil is coming from the insides of the engine and not the pan... the motorsport aos is actually a 996 part that is way taller with less chance of oil creeping up the column of the seperator.

The smoke at start-up is very common for a horizontal engine layout... the oil has nowhere to drip down... and gets stuck in cylinders and such... very common on the track to see this esp if the engine was shut down w/o letting it idle for a minute or so...

With that said, the x51 oil pan is a great upgrade if you track your car... it holds more oil in the baffles than stock one...

Old 04-01-2009, 05:32 PM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by RocC4S View Post
Did you read this part from the link:

"I've had the same problem but usually after the session is over and the cars been sitting with the engine off, when you restart you get a cloud of white smoke. Do a search on the forum, cos I know I've seen this before here, I even think there's a solution with some form of oil baffle system from Motordrive or something. Never happened to me on track and I was never blackflagged. Was it a road course or an Oval? I could see the sustained G's on an Oval causing this."

All I know is, I can speak from personal experience on this. Check with C2MOJO, same thing happened with his car, same DE day, same common problem...look into it. I'm done.

It's all a coincidence. Just think about what an oil pan is for. Without the pickup tube, unless you were driving your car on a 90 degree bank, no oil would ever get to any part of the engine....with or without a baffle.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:58 PM
blown996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Redridge View Post
x51 oil pan is under the car... keeping the sloshing oil down to a minimum so that the oil can be sucked in by the pickup... then it is fed to the engine via the oil pump. The pan and the oil it contains is outside the engine... all the oil issues you are talking about is inside the engine.

The problem with the caymans is that it can pull serious G's around a corner...and the stock aos is short... oil can creep up the aos column and gets injected into the intake.... All of this oil is coming from the insides of the engine and not the pan... the motorsport aos is actually a 996 part that is way taller with less chance of oil creeping up the column of the seperator.

The smoke at start-up is very common for a horizontal engine layout... the oil has nowhere to drip down... and gets stuck in cylinders and such... very common on the track to see this esp if the engine was shut down w/o letting it idle for a minute or so...

With that said, the x51 oil pan is a great upgrade if you track your car... it holds more oil in the baffles than stock one...
good point...

Old 07-24-2009, 04:56 PM
Jag
Jag is on a distinguished road
How can you tell if oil air separater has failed

I have a 2008 carrera S 5,000km, blowning crazy white smoke from exhaust, how can you tell if the oil air separtor is failing and not the headgaskets.....coolant is low....
THANKS ALLOT !!

Old 07-24-2009, 08:18 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Jag View Post
I have a 2008 carrera S 5,000km, blowning crazy white smoke from exhaust, how can you tell if the oil air separtor is failing and not the headgaskets.....coolant is low....
THANKS ALLOT !!
2008 c2s.... that's pretty new. Did you check your oil level, to high will cause smoke? crap... you dont have a dipstick.

smoke and even a whistling noise is the symptoms of a bad seperator....

Old 07-24-2009, 10:18 PM
Jag
air oil sep

LOTS & LOTS OF SMOKE!!!!! haven't heard a whisling sound.....could be a headgasket you think, very odd if it is.... When the O/A failing does it leak coolant into the cylinders???,,,,, I fear the worst and that is the headgasket failing.....The smoke could be either the headgasket or O/A sep.....any other thoughts..

thanks

Old 07-24-2009, 10:20 PM
Jag
its a coolant white smoke not oil. and the coolant level is down low.... the engine does run smooth at cold idle, which if the HG was to go I would think it would run rough......right?????

Old 07-25-2009, 10:09 AM
you need to take that in.... hopefully it is the head gasket and not an intermix issue. Do you see coolant/oil (damn you dont have a dipstick) mixed together. Could be oil cooler, cracked head, or gasket.... bring it in... it should be covered under warranty.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:38 PM
Jag
rebuilt, no warranty.......it runs smooth still so I;m hoping its the air oil sep.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:10 PM
gixxer638 is infamous around these partsgixxer638 is infamous around these partsgixxer638 is infamous around these partsgixxer638 is infamous around these partsgixxer638 is infamous around these parts
your step eight is impossible what car do you have i put the motorsports aos but that did not change things that much

Old 05-10-2010, 12:55 PM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
I'm sure I need a new AOS soon. I just can't wait to see how much they want expecially being a tip.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:02 AM
0100 is on a distinguished road
Bump!

Thanks for the write up.

Plan on doing the AOS soon.

I have a 99 C2.

Any other parts you guys recommend replacing while doing this job?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: how to change the oil seperator

Join 6SpeedOnline
Visit our Sponsors

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.