996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

New key for the car.... Carrera GT style!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 11:08 AM
daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !
Sorry to bump this but how in the hell do you get the actual key out of the fob? Is there some kind of release mechanism? I can't seem to get the spring actuated thing to release it?

Drrrr.. and 30 seconds later i got it out. sorry.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:06 PM
rvCarrera is on a distinguished road
Must have - ordered!

Old 03-12-2013, 12:59 AM
pouch216 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by rvCarrera
Must have - ordered!
I've this CGT key on mine, it looks really better than the old one!

Be careful when doing the mod with the inside parts of the key.

Two pics:

Attached Images   
Old 03-12-2013, 07:44 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Any options for the Cayenne? My 996 keys look great. The Cayenne... not so much...
Dennis we don't currently have any other different options but can get you a new key housing for your Cayenne like the one show below. For more information Click Here.

Attached Images  
Old 03-12-2013, 09:06 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Is it pretty simple to switch the blade and electronics like the 996 key? Also - my 2004 Cayenne uses the "one button" for lock and unlock key fob. I don't think I can use the one pictured.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:45 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Dennis I would think it should still work, as the internals would be all switched out. The only problem is that the "lock" button wouldn't do anything, and the "unlock" would perform both lock and unlock functions. The electronics are fairly easy to switch out but, but the blade has a tiny roll pin that must be tapped out. It's really not that hard as long as you don't loose it. For some reason I thought you had an 06', sorry about that, your better bet would be to go with the one shown below as I have not personally tested the the 06' transmitter model on a 04' but might be something we should look into. For more information Click Here.

Attached Images  
Old 03-15-2013, 10:06 AM
adamclutz is a jewel in the roughadamclutz is a jewel in the roughadamclutz is a jewel in the roughadamclutz is a jewel in the rough
Anyone offering this key swap service for a cost? (for guys not comfortable doing it on their own)...

Old 12-24-2013, 06:56 AM
Alto is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info, guys. I just replaced my 2002 Targa casing today. I removed the trunk and back-window buttons with a soldering iron from the board. And re-attached one of the buttons to the soldering pads in the middle of the board (between the old trunk and window buttons). Works perfectly fine, the button is now opening the trunk (I never used the back window button anyways).

Happy holidays!

Old 12-25-2013, 05:27 AM
xxaarraa is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ECS Tuning - Porsche
Dennis I would think it should still work, as the internals would be all switched out. The only problem is that the "lock" button wouldn't do anything, and the "unlock" would perform both lock and unlock functions. The electronics are fairly easy to switch out but, but the blade has a tiny roll pin that must be tapped out. It's really not that hard as long as you don't loose it. For some reason I thought you had an 06', sorry about that, your better bet would be to go with the one shown below as I have not personally tested the the 06' transmitter model on a 04' but might be something we should look into. For more information Click Here.

Howdy, any chance this switchblade-style cayenne key will work with a 996 key (newer, 2003 with two button)? The CGT style key is still so old school, so if I am upgrading, I would like to upgrade to a switchblade.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:44 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by xxaarraa
Howdy, any chance this switchblade-style cayenne key will work with a 996 key (newer, 2003 with two button)? The CGT style key is still so old school, so if I am upgrading, I would like to upgrade to a switchblade.

They both use the same frequency, so it's possible if you want to get it cut and coded to find out. Of course, there's also a possibility that it may not.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:53 PM
They both use the same frequency, so it's possible if you want to get it cut and coded to find out. Of course, there's also a possibility that it may not.
Do Porsches have a "cheat code" to code the key at home with another master key? My Toyota truck lets you do that - you have to insert and open/close door in a certain sequence and it will code a slave key from a working master.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:21 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by xxaarraa
Do Porsches have a "cheat code" to code the key at home with another master key? My Toyota truck lets you do that - you have to insert and open/close door in a certain sequence and it will code a slave key from a working master.

None that I'm currently aware of.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:22 PM
None that I'm currently aware of.
Thanks for weighing in. With no guarantee that it will work and having to go to the dealer to get it coded etc. I will have to pass