996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

PSM question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 03:54 AM
Static911 is on a distinguished road
PSM question

I have a 2004 C4S tiptronic. I understand the PSM is naturally on and you must push the PSM button (red light comes on) to disable it. How do you know if you the PSM is engaged? Does a sound come on (e.g. beep beep) or can you keep pushing the car with the PSM engaged (not knowing it is engaged) until you spin out?

I would like to push the car to the limit, but do not have time at the moment to go to a track. One thing I like to do is to take the 73N ramp on Newport Coast drive very fast; however, I'm afraid of crashing into the wall because I pushed the car too hard.

I hope I was clear in describing my question.

Thank you.

Old 06-30-2004, 04:03 AM
911 flyn is on a distinguished road
Don't push the car past your ability to control it.........

PSM or not

Old 06-30-2004, 04:09 AM
thomasddg is on a distinguished road
You're asking for alot of trouble...Don't hurt your self plus others...Be smart about pushing your car to the limit

Old 06-30-2004, 04:10 AM
Porsche Chick
RobynC will become famous soon enoughRobynC will become famous soon enough
A dash light flashes and you definitely know that you have kicked in the PSM feature (You feel power cut to the slipping wheel). A couple of suggestions for you. Find a place to play around a bit so you know what it feels like when it does kick in and second, get to a drivers ed before you try to push it, it only spells trouble...it's a shame to be afraid of such an amazing car without knowing a little bit of what they were made to do. It's good to have respect. However, once you get the feel of what your car can do in certain situations, you will feel much better.

Old 06-30-2004, 04:26 AM
jnx
jnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to behold
Robyn, very well said, I couldn't agree more.

Old 06-30-2004, 04:44 AM
Thank you RobynC and the rest of the people for your help. You guys made some good points. Actually, I felt the power cut out to the wheel before, but the dash light did not blink.

I should have used another vocabulary word or phrase to describe my intention of my post. I should not have said I'm looking to push it, but rather what does it feel like when the PSM is engaged. I do not want to be in a situation, like the on-ramp, where I do not even know when the AWD vehicle is about to give out and I end up in the wall. I want to know what precautions do I have, if any, besides feeling like the tires are about to give out.

I was thinking about this last night because the first time I sat in a Porsche and specifically a 4S was when I rode with someone at the Tail of the Dragon in TN/NC. I remembered the driver saying if the tires break loose, we'll probably end up at the bottom of the mountain.

I forgot to ask the salesman about all the features since I was in a rush during lunch to get back to work.

Actually, I have taken an equivelant to the Porsche driving school. Unfortunately, it was for a different car manufacturers.

In any case, I will definately practice driving the car in a huge empty parking lot. If anyone knows a good place besides Mariners Church, let me know. I'm not too familiar with Newport Beach.

Also, I have noticed there is no power at the 30mph range. If I drive at 10s-20s mph rang, it downshifts to first gear and off I go. If I drive at the 40-50s mph range, it downshifts to third or even second gear depending on speed. But at the 30mph range, it downshifts to second gear, but there isn't much power. Is this normal?

Last edited by Static911; 06-30-2004 at 04:48 AM.
Old 06-30-2004, 04:49 AM
911 flyn is on a distinguished road
The PSM is a helpful tool, but like I said before it will not save you if you push the car past your ability to control it.

there are skilled drivers on this forum who track their cars often,get some advice from them before you get yourself into trouble.

drive safe, good luck

Old 06-30-2004, 04:57 AM
I look forward to attending the July meet at Flemings and getting to soak up knowledge and driving experiences, good driving habits and what I can and cannot do with this vehicle. Thank you all.

Old 06-30-2004, 06:37 AM
Porsche Chick
RobynC will become famous soon enoughRobynC will become famous soon enough
Sounds like you have a Tip...

I am not super familiar with them (I have a 6spd, but have driven my fair share of Pcar loaners), but I found myself in too much of a hurry to want to just get up and gooooo to wait for the car to shift itself...I was constantly using the 'manual' mode and running her up through the RPMs. (Saving the 'auto' function for traffic times) I do remember that it seemed like a lag almost. Not sure if that is normal...but I did experience the same thing as what you mention.

Old 06-30-2004, 07:11 AM
xx911carreraxx is on a distinguished road
does traction control do the same thing PSM would do.. because my button just says TC and when i make a corner fast it kicks in and slows down for me alittle until im in control... traction control or PSM?

Old 06-30-2004, 08:20 AM
Don Relentless will become famous soon enough
that's funny because i think PSM is the lamest function on the car, should be on tips to cater to the casual driver. who wants a SPORTS car that thinks for you.
static911, your four wheel drive should hook up pretty well, but depending on the speed of the onramp you are refering to, i would just get to know the on ramp and your car without the PSM on(red light engaged) if you want an acelerated corse on your car i suggest one of the autocrosses, like solo2 or something, at least when you are learning the threshold of your car it is only cones that you run over and not a wall or speedbump like tracking. IMHO i like to learn the car by feeling what it can do, and not what the car lets me do.

Old 06-30-2004, 12:08 PM
Holger B is on a distinguished road
PSM is way overhyped. If you're counting on this to save your bacon when you get too aggressive, you're in for a rude awakening. Last I heard, PSM hadn't changed the laws of physics.

Autox, go to a good driving school or spend some time at the track if you want to get a better feel for your car's limits. Push hard on that onramp and if you lift or brake in a panic, your back end will come around really quickly and kiss the wall...guaranteed.

Nothing wrong with driving your car hard, just be sane about it and do it in the right place.