996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Problem with ABS!! Anyone had this problem before?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 08:27 PM
porsche4391 is on a distinguished road
Problem with ABS!! Anyone had this problem before?

So after I take out my car and start driving around my ABS light and my PSM OFF light turn on...the drives just fine but i guess i just have no ABS or traction control...It isnt on all the time though...it just turns on after i drive for a while...can anyone help me out???

Thanks

Corbin

Old 03-30-2008, 10:12 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
I had that happen a couple of times....especially after a hard acceleration to over 100. The PSM off and ABS light came on then started flashing alternately...then went solid. I pulled over, turned off the ignition and restarted the car.....it cleared and never came back on. This has happened to a number of guys and has been the subject of previous forum discussions. The consensus seems to be that it it doesn't come back on, forget about it....if the condition recurrs, then you might want to have it checked out. I feel that as long as it clears and only occurs once in a while....no big deal.

IMO...I think it has to do with the MAF getting dirty....then clearing.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:13 PM
win911 has much to be proud ofwin911 has much to be proud ofwin911 has much to be proud ofwin911 has much to be proud ofwin911 has much to be proud ofwin911 has much to be proud ofwin911 has much to be proud ofwin911 has much to be proud ofwin911 has much to be proud of
Go to your local auto store and have them read the fault code and get back to us....
The light usually turns off when you turn off the car and lights up when you hit 4,000 ish RPM....right?
I am guessing the MAF.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:29 PM
yeah something like that...they dont blink...just stay on...

Old 03-31-2008, 04:47 AM
taynut has a spectacular aura abouttaynut has a spectacular aura about
It happens to me when I am in 3rd under hard acceleration up and around 100mph. The thing that scares me the most is that the car has a nervous slow and fast acceleration while this is happenening. Sorta like the PSM is holding the car back a bit and then releasing it. Alsways goes away after turning the car off though.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:14 PM
jumper5836 has a spectacular aura aboutjumper5836 has a spectacular aura about
Yes I had the issue after a had my car lowered and aligned. After hard acceleration it would go on immediately. If I was highway driving it would go off every 20 min.

It turned out that the steering wheel sensor was off. I brought it in to the dealer and they hooked it up to the computer and corrected the sensor it. It took about 5 min.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:07 PM
its not the MAF censor...its gotta be the abs censor

Old 04-05-2008, 02:29 PM
rpieper is on a distinguished road
Make sure (like said in other posts) that you check your brake light switch too.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:59 PM
sportmpower is on a distinguished road
You need a new abs module unit. Look on ebay. They rebuild them for like $200.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:48 PM
edic4s is on a distinguished road
I just got an updated flash from fvd, as son as the program was loaded both abs and psm lights came on. Neither psm or abs is working no trouble codes when I do a read. Any suggestions. I've tried unhooking the battery and recalibrating the stearing sensor, no luck.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:56 AM
rpieper is on a distinguished road
RE: Flash fro FVD

Originally Posted by edic4s
I just got an updated flash from fvd, as son as the program was loaded both abs and psm lights came on. Neither psm or abs is working no trouble codes when I do a read. Any suggestions. I've tried unhooking the battery and recalibrating the stearing sensor, no luck.
What does FVD say? They should back their product up. I'm eager to know since I was just going to purchase it myself...

Old 04-26-2008, 12:16 PM
edic4s is on a distinguished road
Mark at FVD has been really good to deal with. MY software is for a 3.8l conversion so it's not very staightforward. he has suggested:
try recalibrating the
> Steering Angle Sensor- full left lock on the wheel- full right
> lock on the wheel then drive straight ahead (wheel straight) past
> 10 mph.If the light still doesn't go off try disconnecting the
> battery and power cycling the car.let me know

Old 04-27-2008, 06:38 AM
taynut has a spectacular aura abouttaynut has a spectacular aura about
I know this may be sound strange or it may just be me. But when those lights come on, the car is a hell of a lot faster. Kinda like a shot of nitrous or something. Those this have something to do with the ABS system? All is good when I turn off and restart, so not a big deal at this time.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:19 AM
AllBusinessJoe can only hope to improve
I experienced the exact same symptoms last night. I could be wrong, but I suspect it may be related to the MAF. A few weeks ago I installed a K&N intake and a short time later my CEL came on. Now the PSM off and ABS lights.

I turned the car off, went in and out of a store, and then the lights were off when I fired her up again. (Except the CEL was still on.)

I'm going to replace my MAF sensor and take it from there. If that doesn't work, its off to the stealer.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:47 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
before you go replacing this or that, get the codes read. I would bet on the MAF. the idiot lights can be unrelated to the problem at hand.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Problem with ABS!! Anyone had this problem before?