996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

My 996 got stolen

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 09:48 PM
TurboDreamz is on a distinguished road
My 996 got stolen

I thought it was impossible for our cars to get stolen! My 2000 c2 cabrio with only 55k miles was stolen from a night club parking lot in pasadena. It's been 2 weeks and no word about it yet. I am so angry, I had just done the turbo update and it looked so damn good! I have no idea how it got stolen, I'm sure i set the alarm. I don't remember where in this site I read that the only way these can be stolen is by tow truck, is that true? My insurance will cover my car but not my 4k wheels nor my 2500. stereo. I am so angry

Old 10-06-2008, 09:58 PM
MCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to behold
Sucks you had a laptop, hd video camera, etc in there

Curious why insurance won't cover it...USAA told me they would insure my car for $30K replacement PLUS the cost of the new engine. I would hound them about that big time.

These cars aren't easy to steal but lesson #1 - if someone has their heart on taking it they will. Don't be angry...fight the insurance co a little more and take advantage of this soft market.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:16 PM
RandomName is on a distinguished road
night club parking in pasadena? hahah don't tell me it club menage

they don't have parking though...only valet?

Old 10-06-2008, 11:22 PM
AsianImage is a jewel in the roughAsianImage is a jewel in the roughAsianImage is a jewel in the rough
PASADENA?

Man that is my hood...I am very very surprised that happened, Old Town Pasadena is pretty dang safe. I am sorry man...sucks.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:03 AM
The Dark Knight is on a distinguished road
Definitely sucks! Cabs are more prone than Coupes for sure. I'm not sure about the interior motion, sound triggers and the tilt/tow sensors? I have reached inside my car before without it going off with the alarm being armed; maybe a body would have triggered it. Opening the door triggers it, but that means nothing if you can get in without opening the doors. This obviously concerns me as well since I have a cab and hit Pasadena every once and a while.

My 740iL is like a tank. I locked the key in the trunk accidentally with the key in the locked position and it took me calling about 7 locksmiths, AAA, BMW emergeny service and convincing a locksmith with BMW to even try and get in the car without me having them tow it to the dealer. Even after entry with the lock picking gun, the car was completely immobile until I fished the keys through the ski rack hole in the trunk. Granted it could have been towed, but it would have set the alarm off immediately.

I would be curious what the factory alarm covers/protects. I thought the transponder was needed as well to start the car? I know the valet key doesn't have one though. Unless they picked the lock and destroyed and rewired the ignition which seems timely, your first guess with the tow away seems more realistic and less conspicuous. Were there any cameras either closed circuit or city owned any where near the entrances or exits to the parking lot. Am I correct in assuming the lot was unattended?

TDK

Old 10-07-2008, 01:24 AM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
I'm sure they towed it, most bystanders won't think twice about a legit-looking tow truck picking up an exotic car. Really sorry to hear this happened to you. I'd raise some stink with your insurance about the extras- they typically don't do much unless you make noise.
USAA insurance on the other hand is quite good about this, but not everyone can get it.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:22 AM
zdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud of
bummer!! had to have been a tow. will these cars even start without the key??

and yes, if you have the receipts for the the upgrades, the insurance should cover (minus depreciation).

good luck!

TT time.....

Old 10-07-2008, 07:29 AM
David9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond repute
I pull the 1st fuse of the 3rd row from the bottom at the fuse box on the driver side at your feet and the car doesn't start.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:35 AM
RocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant future
So sorry to hear that

My insurance company (state farm) will cover anything "attached" to the car. Hopefully you have receipts and pictures to show them.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:52 AM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RocC4S
My insurance company (state farm) will cover anything "attached" to the car.
You might want to read further on your policy. I too have State Farm and they will exclude non factory installed stereos. You can get them to add almost anything to your policy. All the other stuff should be cover under your home owners but I bet the deductable will be to high to even bother.

Sorry about your loss. I hope they find the sorry SOBs that stole it. You should already have a check in hand if it has been that long. I hope if mine is ever stolen it stay gone for at least 48 hours so my insurance will just cut me a check. I would not want my car back.
I lost 2K in test equipment 3 or 4 year ago out of my car. Not cover under my auto but was cover under my home owners. I did want to turn in a claim because here in Houston with all the storms companies were cancelling people left and right. So now I keep almost nothing in my cars.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:31 AM
Banned
Benjamin Choi will become famous soon enough
[QUOTE=function12;2075691]You might want to read further on your policy. I too have State Farm and they will exclude non factory installed stereos. QUOTE]

in my case you're wrong. they covered all my aftermarket stereo equip. i love state farm.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:41 AM
mathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond repute
You should definitely include EVERY part you added to the car as part of your claim. They should cover EVERYTHING permenantly installed. Even if you just changed the brake pads, that should be factored into the settlement. DO NOT accept their first offer. Do your own research to come up with the highest value for a similar car. Then, add in all of your extras. The add-ons should be calculated at a different depreciation rate than the car itself. So, recent maintenance and mods should be paid at near replacement cost.

The homeowners policy would only cover those personal items not installed (sunglasses, ipod, gym bag, camera, etc.). The coverage for these items in a car away from your home are highly restrictive and usually not even worth pursuing unless you had a lap top in there.

Did you try to check any surveillance camera's outside the club?

Old 10-07-2008, 11:59 AM
dfw996 is on a distinguished road
that really sucks...

If you just did an upgrade(turbo kit)...my suspects would be the people that did the work on the car, because they saw everything you had on it.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:47 PM
AsianImage is a jewel in the roughAsianImage is a jewel in the roughAsianImage is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by dfw996
If you just did an upgrade(turbo kit)...my suspects would be the people that did the work on the car, because they saw everything you had on it.
aaahhh...food for thought....

because Old Town isnt super rich, but there are quite a few nice cars around there. for them to straight pick your car out of other is strange.

I also agree a "legit" looking tow truck picking up a Porsche, in the evening...who would even THINK it was a theft. It like what they call HIDING IN PLAIN SITE....only the owner would know it was a theft. Very scary.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:51 PM
Steve Germany will become famous soon enough
If they want it bad enough it will be gone in 60 seconds. The driver does not even have to get out of the truck with the latest towing rigs.

I can feel you pain!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My 996 got stolen