996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Hardtop Yes/No?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 03:28 PM
newport996 will become famous soon enoughnewport996 will become famous soon enough
Hardtop Yes/No?

I found a GREAT deal on a hardtop. Have any other Cab owners gotten them? If so how easy are they to put on the car? remove? How heavy are they? I seem to remember a Porsche ad where a guy had one on his back and he was standing up in the backseat area of a 996. As if to say, one person could install/remove it. I always wanted one for my Boxster because of the lack of insulation and amount of outside noise with the top up. But the 996 is so well insulated, its SOOOO quiet. Don't really need it for that, but I do like the looks of it. So should I?

Old 08-24-2004, 03:48 PM
keoni1978 is on a distinguished road
I bought one off ebay a while back and I love it!! You thin the softtop is quiet...wait til you put on the hardtop. I have done it by myself and its not that bad. You go to make sure you balance the thing and not trip while you are getting into the back seat area. (especially if you have big feet) otherwise it might just land on your car. I thing it weighs about 50lbs or so.

P.S. It is also more aerodynamic so better gas mileage.

Old 08-24-2004, 03:59 PM
doncapecod is on a distinguished road
Hardtop weighs about 75 lbs and while one person could hold it over their heads it really takes 2 people to place it on the car. One slip and you have a nice dent from the bars that stick out from the rear....unless of course you spend a few hundred more for a hoist. With the hoise, wife and I can hook it up in 15 minutes or so.

Old 08-24-2004, 08:05 PM
keoni1978 is on a distinguished road
actually I have installed the hard top by myself The trick is not to try to hold it over your head, but instead bend over and have it rest on your back. And once you get in the back seat area, slowly lower yourself. If you are single, mind as well invest in a hoist, easier to put on and take off, at the same time you have a place to store it like in dons picture.

Last edited by keoni1978; 08-24-2004 at 09:32 PM.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:19 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
I have the wall mount for my top and it works great. The hard top sits in the rack covered in a Porsche top cover, and the crest looks stunning every day I see it.

Yeah, in Charlotte we don't have much need for hardtops, especially now with much better quality soft tops.

But I'd NEVER try to put it on alone. That would be insane. Two guys, five minutes. That's it. Easy.

Old 08-25-2004, 01:40 AM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
I was in the same position. I would get the top if it were a good deal. It can't hurt to have it and the option to use it. I plan on using the hardtop I got during the winter months....but I live on the east coast in NJ. Isn't the weather nice there all the year? That is what we in the northeast would like to believe.

Old 08-25-2004, 01:40 AM
JASCLASS will become famous soon enoughJASCLASS will become famous soon enough
I had one with my cab, its a must.

Old 08-25-2004, 01:51 AM
Ken
Ken is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the rough
I had a 996 CAb with a hardtop and in two years is was put on once - the day I sold it. Took up a lot of room. Given a choice, I would pass.

Old 08-26-2004, 11:31 AM
996 MPH is on a distinguished road
Great option to have imo. It also gives the cab a more aggressive look with it on. It certainly takes two people to take off and place back on, too risky to attempt a one person remove and replace. I have owned my cab for 1.5 years and I use the hardtop about 50% of the time.

Mark
02 Carrera Cab-Seal Grey/Black

Old 08-26-2004, 12:54 PM
doncapecod is on a distinguished road
I like the look as well. Different, yet very much Porsche looking.

Old 08-26-2004, 10:35 PM
nicoff is a jewel in the roughnicoff is a jewel in the roughnicoff is a jewel in the rough
newport996,
I live in Virginia and even in the winter I can drive with the top down (with heated seats and heater blowing). You live in Southern California so I would have a hard time thinking of reasons why you would need a hardtop. Not once during the time I have owned this car (2-1/2 years) have I felt the need (or desire) to have a hardtop. Just my 2 cents.